flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,917 of 39,414
Is it heavier than U12? I reckon it's smaller in size I think

Bigger and heavier than U12.

It's U18 that's smaller than U12.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #3,919 of 39,414
BTW My A12 is literally double the size of the U12 so I suppose I may be fine unless tia forte is even bigger

You're deceiving yourself. :stuck_out_tongue: With a custom, it doesn't really matter how big it is, that thing ain't going no where. Universals are a whole other story.

I don't mind Fourté's size for general listening. But I wouldn't go for a walk with them, and I certainly wouldn't work out wearing them.

A CIEM really is best for that, or at least something much smaller and lighter.

But ymmv, as they say. :wink:

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,921 of 39,414
BTW My A12 is literally double the size of the U12 so I suppose I may be fine unless tia forte is even bigger

If I'm reading between the lines, you are just looking for an excuse to buy Fourte :p So, what happened to "no more 64 Audio" talk ? :wink: And, are you sure you want to take $3.6k iems to the gym?

FYI, the fit comparison.

U12
64audio_adel_a12-34.jpg

U18
64audio_u18-38.jpg

TIA Fourte
64audio_fourt-36.jpg

U6 vs U12 vs U18
64audio_u18-45.jpg

TIA Fourte vs U18
64audio_fourt-38.jpg

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #3,922 of 39,414
i suggest at least look into a hearing aid dryer
Got 64 Audio's dehumidifier!
You're deceiving yourself. :stuck_out_tongue: With a custom, it doesn't really matter how big it is, that thing ain't going no where. Universals are a whole other story.

I don't mind Fourté's size for general listening. But I wouldn't go for a walk with them, and I certainly wouldn't work out wearing them.

A CIEM really is best for that, or at least something much smaller and lighter.

But ymmv, as they say. :wink:
Well then tia forte then but not in Universal :wink:

If I'm reading between the lines, you are just looking for an excuse to buy Fourte :p So, what happened to "no more 64 Audio" talk ? :wink: And, are you sure you want to take $3.6k iems to the gym?

FYI, the fit comparison.

U12

U18

TIA Fourte

U6 vs U12 vs U18

TIA Fourte vs U18
It's a conspiracy by you guys, stopping me from buying the tia forte like that.

Thanks for the pics, I realize tia forte wouldn't really be wieldy in the gym, not the Universal at least.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,923 of 39,414
While we are at it, how does the tia forte stack up to full sized cans?
Comparisons to LCD 2/3/4, Hifiman He1k?

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3,924 of 39,414
While we are at it, how does the tia forte stack up to full sized cans?
Comparisons to LCD 2/3/4, Hifiman He1k?

It's like a melding of LCD-2 and HD800, sort of taking the best elements from both.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,925 of 39,414
Oh, you thought the driver wars were over? Hah! Silly, silly, child... muaha... muahahaha... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

I actually was there and met these guys, really nice guys. Before they said anything, I told them I thought the driver war was ridiculous. They made me try an iem which was ok. Now I guess it was that one.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #3,927 of 39,414
I meant, is the detail retrieval on par with HD800 or is it limited because it's an IEM?

That's kind of what I mean too. It's pretty freaking great. tia Fourté has the resolution, transparency, separation, and grandness of the HD800, but with the richness and musicality of the LCD-2.2Fazor.

I won't say it sounds exactly like a full-size headphone, but it's not far off. It seems to be transcending many IEM boundaries.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,928 of 39,414
one poster a short while ago suggested checking out
a somewhat new brand, called Plunge Audio, in Calgary AB, Canada.
I've spoken to the owner Simon Fisk via email a few times....interesting brand...he says he's so busy that he often
has 30-40 pairs of iem orders on his desk at any one time.
i might check them out..he's to soon update his website with more info on his background
with videos etc...interesting tesimontials, too.
https://www.plungeaudio.com/

i wonder if he's the same guy here:
http://simonfisk.com/

i think he is, from his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plunge-Audio-Simon-Fisk/196605043777793
well a pro musician often knows a thing or two about sound:

Yup that's him! He moved to Calgary a few years ago to set up Plunge Audio. Great guy! Here is his facebook page as the one you linked isn't used. https://www.facebook.com/plungeaudio/. He is pretty open to customize builds. He can tune crossovers, and even driver counts in order to build a one off monitor that has exactly the sound you want. Also, he has a big ol box of goodness of everything from exotic woods to carbon fiber and even leather that he can use to do faceplates. Hell, he will even use something he doesn't have, just ask, or send him the material, and he will use it for ya!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #3,929 of 39,414
I am actually very careful when listening during workouts so I doubt I'll pull a cable, I managed with my A12 for the whole summer, just looking into something faster as A12 is pretty darn slow for working out. A12 is good for falling asleep, just not for gyms, maybe Vega again hm......
You used your A12 in the gym? Yikes! I wouldn't be worried about physical damage, but more about the sweat. When I train weights I already sweat profusely and when I'm on the bike sweat pours to the point that even my sports earbuds will occasionally cut out. It's been my biggest issue because I would love good sound while training, I just don't dare it.

For weights and running outside I have used the Trinity Vyrus, which, although not the sound you're after, were very comfortable because of their small size.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #3,930 of 39,414
i used to take my (then priced) 250$ RE-262 at the gym some years ago

one day i broke it while lifting weights

never took to the gym anything worth more than 50$

take something cheap , and use the money for some tia fourte at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back