flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,646 of 39,414
@flinkenick how is Crete ?

btw I am gonna call Peggy , the hotel manager and tell her to cut your wi-fi , make you get away from here and go for some swimming - Crete has amazing beaches :L3000:

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,647 of 39,414
@flinkenick how is Crete ?

btw I am gonna call Peggy , the hotel manager and tell her to cut your wi-fi , make you get away from here and go for some swimming - Crete has amazing beaches :L3000:
Sitting by the pool with my laptop most of the time. It took me a day to write the treble section, but at least the view is nice :grimacing:

IMAG1011.jpg

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,648 of 39,414
tia Fourté is an awful lot like the Sennheiser HD800. Soundstage is nearly on the same level, as is separation and resolution. There are a lot of similarities with the bass too, in quantity, depth, and articulation. Fourté has more treble sparkle, though, making notes vividly pop in a pleasant way.

Oh wow. More sparkle than the HD800? Yikes..

I wonder if the treble brightness is a consequence of the IEM's design to achieve the spacious stage. The U18's treble seems to be less bright but the stage is not as spacious as the Fourte.

Seems like 64Audio went all the way with Fourte, while chose a balance of stage and smoothness with the U18. I can't wait for my turn in the tour to try these IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,649 of 39,414
I didn't think iems could surpass HD800's 6k hump forwardness(or at least up to that intensity). It's pretty strong.

My SE5U wouldn't be consider forward or much, and it has wide sound stage. You can lower that region without sacrificing stage.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,650 of 39,414
As for the Fourte vs HD800 comparison, I think it depends on the setups used, especially for the 800. IME, while my 800 was still stock, the Fourte wasn't as bright, but it is still slightly bright.

I must say that after some run in time, the Fourte treble becomes a lot more pleasing to listen to/less offensive.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,651 of 39,414
As for the Fourte vs HD800 comparison, I think it depends on the setups used, especially for the 800. IME, while my 800 was still stock, the Fourte wasn't as bright, but it is still slightly bright.

I must say that after some run in time, the Fourte treble becomes a lot more pleasing to listen to/less offensive.
In all my experience with gears, gears do not(at least should not) have significant enough change to effect headphones characteristic to such degree, although there is some truth to what you say. If it's bright, it's bright, but unless something weird going on with the source. This is different from differences from strictly performance.

When it comes to stuff like this, it's more of sensitivity of the listener.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,652 of 39,414
In all my experience with gears, gears do not(at least should not) have significant enough change to effect headphones characteristic to such degree, although there is some truth to what you say. If it's bright, it's bright, but unless something weird going on with the source. This is different from differences from strictly performance.

When it comes to stuff like this, it's more of sensitivity of the listener.

Yeah, that's why it's just in my experience haha. There are too many factors. I think anything swapped out in the chain can make anything from a minor to significant difference, but that could just be to me and some of my friends. We could be crazy ;P

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,653 of 39,414
I didn't think iems could surpass HD800's 6k hump forwardness(or at least up to that intensity). It's pretty strong.

My SE5U wouldn't be consider forward or much, and it has wide sound stage. You can lower that region without sacrificing stage.

Actually I am not referring to the relationship between the treble and soundstage. But rather the IEMs' (Fourte and U18) design to recreate a spacious stage and the consequence being the treble ending up getting boosted.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,654 of 39,414
I may have overstated the Fourté/HD800 comparison some. The soundstage is probably not as close to the Senns as I made it seem. But on the other hand, it's the closest I've ever heard.

I do stand by what I said about the resolution, detail, and separation. These things are very close to the HD800.

Something to note: The HD800 has a sort of dry, analytical sound. tia Fourté does not. It is wet, and oh so musical. They both share the same grand, slightly laid-back, effortless quality.

To my ears, the HD800's treble, while prominent, does not "sparkle". Really at all. tia Fourté absolutely does.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,655 of 39,414
I understood what he meant by sparkle, but Pinky I understand what you mean as well. More precisely sparkle is a type of treble sound that can be described as the HD800 isn't precisely about the sparkle on the 6k region. I broadly think of it as forwardness.

I agree HD800 is pretty dry sounding, less body than some of us would prefer.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #3,656 of 39,414
tia Fourté is an awful lot like the Sennheiser HD800. Soundstage is nearly on the same level, as is separation and resolution. There are a lot of similarities with the bass too, in quantity, depth, and articulation. Fourté has more treble sparkle, though, making notes vividly pop in a pleasant way.

How does the Fourte compare to Layla? As far as I remember, the two times I got to try the Layla, it gave me a sense of soundstage and spaciousness like never before...

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #3,657 of 39,414
is the spiral ear se5 ultimate is musical with warmth?
I don't find it warm. It is maybe like a pinch north of neutral if I compare to Prophile 8, but it might be an effect of the rumbly subbass and not very sparkly in the treble. But what people don't understand, is usually that despite not being ultra sparkly or airy, the SE5U treble is, to me, ultra detailed and extended.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #3,659 of 39,414
How does the Fourte compare to Layla? As far as I remember, the two times I got to try the Layla, it gave me a sense of soundstage and spaciousness like never before...

Never heard Layla.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,660 of 39,414
What were you used to listening to before the Layla? This matters a bit as your impressions depends on iems you were used to in terms of it's stage presentation. Because I've owned the Layla in the past, and I wasn't particularly moved by it's spaciousness as I've owned the NT6 prior to that. This is all by memory though, but I can't recall what was so impressive about it(I don't recall particular attributes that really stood out for me).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back