flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,241 of 39,414
"flinkenick, post: 13651569:

The 5-Way is somewhat of an elusive iem, but much like the Prelude, it has a strong character that will not appeal to everyone (as some have pointed out). So it too is kind of a love or hate iem, with some serious strengths but equal weaknesses."

I wouldn't advise you to go down that road man, I would hate to have to send you the Armenian. He likes little cuties like you. On a skewer.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,242 of 39,414
I wouldn't advise you to go down that road man, I would hate to have to send you the Armenian. He likes little cuties like you. On a skewer.
Well if he also likes to listen to iems and engage in audiophile conversation he's more than welcome to drop by, I'll admit it gets a little bit lonely here sometimes.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,243 of 39,414
It depends on whether people are going to pm me with a zillion questions :grimacing:

The 5-Way is somewhat of an elusive iem, but much like the Prelude, it has a strong character that will not appeal to everyone (as some have pointed out). So it too is kind of a love or hate iem, with some serious strengths but equal weaknesses.

Thanks for the reply man, it's certainly given me some peace of mind. I'm still awaiting my next trip to Singapore so I can force-fit my friend's Prelude. There are too many things to get excited about these days :D

"flinkenick, post: 13651569:

The 5-Way is somewhat of an elusive iem, but much like the Prelude, it has a strong character that will not appeal to everyone (as some have pointed out). So it too is kind of a love or hate iem, with some serious strengths but equal weaknesses."

Hey, slow down man... What Nic means by equal weaknesses are wire transfers, and a silicone fit, and no artwork options... etcetera... you know, the big stuff :wink:

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #3,244 of 39,414
Hey, slow down man... What Nic means by equal weaknesses are wire transfers, and a silicone fit, and no artwork options... etcetera... you know, the big stuff :wink:
@Mimouille yes exactly, that. Plus, it sucks.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,245 of 39,414
@Mimouille yes exactly, that. Plus, it sucks.
Margos is on his way

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,246 of 39,414
Thanks for the reply man, it's certainly given me some peace of mind. I'm still awaiting my next trip to Singapore so I can force-fit my friend's Prelude. There are too many things to get excited about these days :D
Really? I hadn't noticed any of it myself...

[Now where did I save that Excel sheet with all the pros and cons, prices and signatures worked out in graphs and pie-charts? ]

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #3,250 of 39,414
I noticed Lime ears tour almost ends. It might be the only chance for anyone to consider jumping in and try this wonderful iem - Aether rather than looking at score on the chart. After having good amount of time with 64 audio flagships, w500, w900, Vega,Andromeda, Pristine..etc I can honestly say it has the signature and tonality that makes it stand out among the rest. A friend who has listened to both told me that UE18+ is nice but not as amazing as Aether. I tried Aether and couldn't believe I missed such wonderful iem all these years wandering around with reviews of top rank iems, all these readings will not help you entirely but rather a piece of info and an opinion....(shame on those who skipped it because of the scores)

Nic once told me : Aether is a great iem but I placed it under the highest scrutiny ..but that isn't how most people hear.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lim...3sw-and-aether-starting-february-2017.833886/

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,251 of 39,414
I noticed Lime ears tour almost ends. It might be the only chance for anyone to consider jumping in and try this wonderful iem - Aether rather than looking at score on the chart. After having good amount of time with 64 audio flagships, w500, w900, Vega,Andromeda, Pristine..etc I can honestly say it has the signature and tonality that makes it stand out among the rest. A friend who has listened to both told me that UE18+ is nice but not as amazing as Aether. I tried Aether and couldn't believe I missed such wonderful iem all these years wandering around with reviews of top rank iems, all these readings will not help you entirely but rather a piece of info and an opinion....(shame on those who skipped it because of the scores)

Nic once told me : Aether is a great iem but I placed it under the highest scrutiny ..but that isn't how most people hear.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lim...3sw-and-aether-starting-february-2017.833886/
You want to try every iem that comes out?

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,252 of 39,414

Well, to be fair (again), it's not like the Aether is vanishing entirely. When I visited e-earphone a couple months ago, the Aether was still one of the most auditioned IEMs at the store. So was true whenever a new customer would visit MS. Granted, I'd have to personally recommend them sometimes, but surely enough, they'd really enjoy it as soon as they hear it. Lime Ears is also coming out with the Prototype X with two switches for bass and treble which seems really exciting. If you need further proof, the SE5U is still kicking and screaming after five years of release with no demos, a few user impressions, and almost no marketing other than hype from glowing reviews. There's no reason why the Aether can't eventually achieve the same legendary/classic status.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3,253 of 39,414
I think with the bass switch 'on', it's pretty good for basshead too. Plus it has a beautiful instrument tonality.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #3,254 of 39,414
Each ranking list is subjective. Even though more people are assembled.

Obviously, the personality of the creator, his relationship to music, is very important in determining the final rankings.
But let me also have a subjective opinion.
This is the U18 Tzar headset. Since I did not hear the other two headphones, I have no right to place them above them.

The U18 has some of the decisive elements that are far ahead in terms of listening to music. Such are the TIA open tweeter in the nozzle, the 4 pieces Sonion 2800 to the low range, or the 4 pieces Sonion 4400 to the mid range.

The TIA open tweeter gives the music a sense of space that I have never heard of at any headset (just for headphones) and high tones have a quantity and quality bulk.

The depths are very fast and natural, there is no trace of exaggerating low energies.
The mid range is so detailed that I could not imagine in such a small headset.

Overall, I feel (after listening to countless earphones) that I've got a sound that I've been looking for ever since I was into the “World of portable music”.

Regardless of the end result, I feel like finding the "Holy Grail", I can have a seat at “Round table”, I do not have to look any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back