flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 3, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,372 of 39,414
Yeah... unfortunately, unlike his other mods, his AK70-Kai doesn't have the greatest track record thus far. A friend of mine is also sending his AK70 back for the fifth time because of faulty caps. Ryuzoh tells me he's gonna change the brand of caps he's using because of the current one's terrible defect rate, so I reckon you should wait until we get our DAPs back before even considering a trip to Japan.

The balanced out of the AK70 is interesting because it is significantly more laidback than the SE. You do get a larger soundstage and better separation, but clarity and dynamism take a step back IMHO. Though, if that's what you're looking for, then a balanced cable would work great, especially since an adapter is all you need to go back to SE should you wish to.
That was what I understood the balanced out on the AK70 to be. I like laid back, so that is a good thing, but perhaps I can take the type of cable into that equation. The EA Ares II might balance the loss of clarity out a little or perhaps the Eros hybrid.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,373 of 39,414
Omg! When is the Empire Ears Zeus XIV review coming out?
There is one review every Friday,
Yeah, the price of a TOTL IEM = drivers + wiring + crossovers + shells + cables + special sauce. No one knows what's in the special sauce, but its price is unfortunately, highly variable.
If you new what the special sauce is, you wouldn't put these things in your ears.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,374 of 39,414
There is one review every Friday,

If you new what the special sauce is, you wouldn't put these things in your ears.

I'm shocked nobody's calculated in the most expensive part of the process: man hours.

Unless they're made by slaves, this must be a costly construction.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #2,375 of 39,414
I'm shocked nobody's calculated in the most expensive part of the process: man hours.

Unless they're made by slaves, this must be a costly construction.

Apologies Pinky, my posts about price were made purely in jest since a few people were talking about perceived value. Not taking anything away from the manufacturers at all. Man hours and tuning expertise are what makes TOTL IEMs special, otherwise anyone can just slap a few drivers into a shell and start selling.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,376 of 39,414
Apologies Pinky, my posts about price were made purely in jest since a few people were talking about perceived value. Not taking anything away from the manufacturers at all. Man hours and tuning expertise are what makes TOTL IEMs special, otherwise anyone can just slap a few drivers into a shell and start selling.

Oh, I know you were playing. But it did seem like an oversight, and one I see often. Thought I'd bring it up. It's an important point to remember: People build these by hand. :thumbsup:

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #2,377 of 39,414
people who build ciems = true artists imo

plus , money spent on ciem = best money spent (to me at least)

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #2,378 of 39,414
Alright I checked the predictions. There is a relatively large group of people that predicted 4 correct. However, of that group there are 3 people that predicted 2 exact positions correct. I have allocated the prizes in the most logical order, will announce when we're done.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,380 of 39,414
You should take a look at Noble, they have some really nice designs.

A large majority of Noble's beautiful designs (faceplates, especially) are thanks to custom materials typically used to make knife scales, pen stoppers, etc. If anyone's interested in making their own Wizard-style CIEM and they're fortunate enough to buy from manufacturers who accept custom materials, you might be interested in the following websites:

exoticknifehandles.com
usaknifemaker.com
woodcraft.com
beyondwoodproducts.com
synthetic-opal.net
As well as some sold on etsy.com; just search "Stabilised Wood"

Very, very handy if I may say so myself... :wink:

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2,381 of 39,414
A large majority of Noble's beautiful designs (faceplates, especially) are thanks to custom materials typically used to make knife scales, pen stoppers, etc. If anyone's interested in making their own Wizard-style CIEM and they're fortunate enough to buy from manufacturers who accept custom materials, you might be interested in the following websites:

exoticknifehandles.com
usaknifemaker.com
woodcraft.com
beyondwoodproducts.com
synthetic-opal.net
As well as some sold on etsy.com; just search "Stabilised Wood"

Very, very handy if I may say so myself... :wink:
Cool man, I was looking for this a few months back but couldn't find anything. Only 'professional' lumber for if you wanted to build a desk or something.

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,384 of 39,414
friday is new announcement day

bring on numero 6 :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back