flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 2, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #14,131 of 39,414
Hi @piotrus-g

I was wondering about silicone custom sleeves for universal iems. What's your approach to shaping the nozzle? Also, can you make sleeves without a customer shipping their own over? I imagine that it isn't recommended for iems whose shells may have variations between different units. Thanks!

Best wishes, Pithy
Currently all tips are modeled in 3D so if you want tips for something we have already done tips for then you don't have to send your IEMs. So if you let me know what IEMs you have I will be able to tell you whether we can do tips or not.
The tips are canal portion only, we don't do tips that cover whole IEM - like @Deezel177 said

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #14,132 of 39,414
Currently all tips are modeled in 3D so if you want tips for something we have already done tips for then you don't have to send your IEMs. So if you let me know what IEMs you have I will be able to tell you whether we can do tips or not.
The tips are canal portion only, we don't do tips that cover whole IEM - like @Deezel177 said
Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm not planning a purchase at the moment, but I was wondering if you accept 3D scans of impressions for the tips and/or other 3D printed products. I'm more or less making a list of what IEMs I can possibly buy without making new impressions. Mostly out of laziness. However if a future fibae flagship is a non-3D printed product, I'll gladly get some new impressions made and sent over.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #14,134 of 39,414
Yup, got my impressions done at MyIEM. They also sent me my digital impressions a few days after my purchase.
I enquired with my audiologist about digital scans. They don't do them but did some digging around on my behalf. Seems snugs in the uk are the only ones who do digital atm, and then in only certain places in the uk.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #14,135 of 39,414
Still showering. Thank you.

Yes they are PlusSound. David has terminated mainly plussound for me. I will let @SeeSax comment on Eidolic vs. PlusSound.

I think the IEM-X could be part of a portable set up. I would be worried about the white sleeve getting dirty.

I will not make a dirty analogy.... I will not make a dirty analogy ....

Well, on that dirty note you can see from my picture that the part going around the back of the ear is discolored. I do tell myself that the stain is from an attractive woman wearing the cable for an extended period of time.

I have already purchased some cable wraps (available sizes: 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" & 1") in anticipation of the SilverFi cables. I'm not sure if I will just use for the ear hooks or the entirety of the cable. My heatshrinks will be black in color.

So with the round braiding of the R1 + black heatshrink + cable wraps = slight chance of making the R1 portable with somewhat stealthiness. Use will be 80% transportable (Office) + 20% portable as needed.

I have zero interest in mass-produced aftermarket cables, so trying everything to make the SilverFi work. That is why I really enjoy your post. If I have a future need for a portable portable cable, I can stick with SilverFi with good ergonomics as shown in your photos.

Plan A:
Desktop: R4
Transportable/Portable: R1

Plan B:
Desktop: R4
Transportable: R1
Portable: IEM-X

I had no Plan B before your post.

Photos below is the 1 inch. So the wrap expands about 5X. Hoping the 1/8" is enough.

1.png

2.png

thl.png

If these peculiar ergonomics can be improved, it makes the cables more enjoyable as they get out of your way.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #14,136 of 39,414
I enquired with my audiologist about digital scans. They don't do them but did some digging around on my behalf. Seems snugs in the uk are the only ones who do digital atm, and then in only certain places in the uk.

To avoid confusion, my ear impressions were still done using the traditional method. The digital part is scanning the physical ear impressions into digital STL files.

I think you might be referring to getting ear impressions digitally which I think some do by scanning you ear canal with some sort of scanner.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #14,137 of 39,414
@piotrus-g
davidcotton mentioned that you won't do tips for universals without a lip, could you confirm this?

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #14,138 of 39,414
@piotrus-g
davidcotton mentioned that you won't do tips for universals without a lip, could you confirm this?

Looks like a very bad idea not to have one, believe me without it I wonder how I would take them out by myself...

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #14,140 of 39,414
Looks like a very bad idea not to have one, believe me without it I wonder how I would take them out by myself...
I have a pair done by Emsee Labs here in Canada for my Earsonic Velvet V2. No issues with taking it out of my ear after an year of use. They've been around for a long time, so I assume its because they know what they're doing.

Unfortunately its medical grade silicone which my ears seem to not like and my ears start to hurt after 2 hours or so consistently. If I recall correctly, they dont do custom tips in acrylic at all, which may alleviate my problems.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #14,141 of 39,414
first off, thanks everyone for the informative and helpful replies. really good to have this kind of support in the community.

For example, Joseph Mou of Jomo Audio recommends bi-flange tips for the closest custom-to-universal comparison.
I've noticed that double flange - wide bore - are the most 'peak free' sound if I'm going to use silicones at all. So I think he's on to something....

And don’t forget, the magnitude of a peak matters more than the placement. I’ve hardly ever heard a universal that sounded worse in custom form; in the treble especially.
I assumed as much, but good to hear this asserted.

Some ears aren't compatible with customs. Like excessive wet wax, weird bends and curves etc. So it might actually be worthwhile to get a pair of ear impressions done first before shopping so the audiologist might reveal any nasty surprise beforehand.
I've been to audiologists a few times for hearing tests, etc. I'm one of the lucky ones with very little wax at all, and zero 'buildup' issues.

One of the main reasons I've stuck with Custom Art (besides top notch friendly service and great sound) is the fact that for a small fee you can have the customs turned into universals if you don't like the fit or feel of the customs so you are not totally out on the experience.
Wow, that's definitely something to consider. Custom Art is looking more attractive now despite being overseas. Also, the fact that @piotrus-g seems to be very much engaged here on the forum says a lot and is something that really scores points with me. I may be asking more questions about Custom Art now and which model suits me - see what a pandora's box you opened?

The difference between these and audiologists molds is that they don't go past the first bend.
This is less than ideal as I understand it. You want to be as close to the drum as possible and also get as much volume taken up (not too much play in the canal even if there's a seal in the concha) by the fit. Am I right in these assumptions?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #14,143 of 39,414
but i can't use my rainbow bite block without lips

Your rainbow bite blocks have disappeared from the thread, reported by a member.

I am always surprised how some people report you on this forum, like cheap informers. In France we call these people collaborationists. If someone doesn't like me posting a rainbow dildo, they can just tell me : hey Mim, please avoid these things I don't like it.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #14,144 of 39,414
If someone doesn't like me posting a rainbow dildo, they can just tell me : hey Mim, please avoid these things I don't like it.
Hey Mim, I really didn't appreciate you posting about the SE5U, turned out to be bad for my wallet.

What's worse you showed total disregard for basic decency and then followed up with posts about SE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back