flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #13,996 of 39,414
Custom Art's FIBAE 2 (https://thecustomart.com/fibae-2/) is a great option. Although it isn't as energetic and in-your-face as the FIBAE 2, the FIBAE Black (https://thecustomart.com/fibae-black/) is great as well because of its superior background, stage stability and expansion.
I just received the FIBAE Black today and have not had a lot of time with them but while listening on random an aggressive song came on and was smoking. It was a live My morning jacket song and I was so thrilled how great it presented everything top to bottom and side to side I was so happy with my purchase. The universal fit is miles ahead of anything that i’ve Tried previously. I’m using a Sony ZX 300 balanced and tried the Aresll and Norne audio therium silver. Again haven’t spent much time with the Black but so far very surprising what one BA can do and at a great price. Bottom line great rock IEM.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #13,997 of 39,414
Huh, my dealer might not have the FMJ Layla. Phantom it is then.

@Deezel177 @Wyville please continue describing how amazing, Leo II Phantom pair up. 26 days to go!

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #13,999 of 39,414
It's good.
2 words with a ton of meaning behind it.

Have Zeus hooked up to my Exo GPS atm because I've really fallen in love with silver cables. Volume cranked down by 5 notches from my usual 45, but oddly enough my initial impressions of "too much impact in the bass and too much bass" seems to have gone away now. Bass feels just right, mids and treble are PERFECT! As in chills and toe curling prefect.

I'm getting ready to retire my decade old AT over-ears from mixing. you've mentioned the tonal transparency being one of the big things of Phantom. Do you think they would be a good replacement for that?

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #14,000 of 39,414
2 words with a ton of meaning behind it.

Have Zeus hooked up to my Exo GPS atm because I've really fallen in love with silver cables. Volume cranked down by 5 notches from my usual 45, but oddly enough my initial impressions of "too much impact in the bass and too much bass" seems to have gone away now. Bass feels just right, mids and treble are PERFECT! As in chills and toe curling prefect.

I'm getting ready to retire my decade old AT over-ears from mixing. you've mentioned the tonal transparency being one of the big things of Phantom. Do you think they would be a good replacement for that?

Well, I've never find AT's headphones to be very transparent tonally to begin with, so I can't say. Expect all your mixes to sound like crap once you plug the Phantom's in, but it only goes up from there. :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #14,001 of 39,414
Well, I've never find AT's headphones to be very transparent tonally to begin with, so I can't say. Expect all your mixes to sound like crap once you plug the Phantom's in, but it only goes up from there. :)
That's all I need to hear. Given my forays into hifi have only been the last year or so, the AT was the best that I had for almost all of the last decade, leaps and bounds above what I grabbed. I actually havent touched them over the last year, as I mentioned Ive been using Zeus which is way better, but things still sound off.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #14,002 of 39,414
Has anyone here owned the Campfire Audio Jupiter? It was my main iem before committing to high end audio. But since my ciems are off to a reshell after being abused beyond imagination, the Jupiters are back in my ears. I have to be honest, I haven't treated my Jupiters too nicely. I've blown them out before and they've gotten wet before as well. They sound very bright to me and have very little bass. Is this normal or a result of all the abuse they've suffered? Also, upper mids are really really prominent

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #14,004 of 39,414
Has anyone here owned the Campfire Audio Jupiter? It was my main iem before committing to high end audio. But since my ciems are off to a reshell after being abused beyond imagination, the Jupiters are back in my ears. I have to be honest, I haven't treated my Jupiters too nicely. I've blown them out before and they've gotten wet before as well. They sound very bright to me and have very little bass. Is this normal or a result of all the abuse they've suffered? Also, upper mids are really really prominent
Something is very off with your Jupiters provided you're using a source with around 1 ohm OI. Bass is nice and warm, upper treble shimmer, good low mids but with rather recessed upper mids.

I had my Jupiters stop working when I was fueling outside tonight in 10 degree very windy weather! Warmed them up and all was fine. It really had me puzzled for a minute, then I realized how darn cold it was. I hope nothing has been compromised by the temporary freeze.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #14,005 of 39,414
Huh, my dealer might not have the FMJ Layla. Phantom it is then.

@Deezel177 @Wyville please continue describing how amazing, Leo II Phantom pair up. 26 days to go!
Well, I am currently working on finishing my review of Leo II and I might have gone a little overboard with it because it is my longest and probably most silly review yet. I just wanted to show why I think the Leo II + Phantom pairing is so good and I ended up describing how the Phantom scaled with 4 other EA cables as well, just so (hopefully) people can get an idea of the differences, rather than reading me repeating myself "this is the best pairing yet". :wink:

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #14,007 of 39,414

the major difference between the the jup and andro is that the jup’s upper mids are suppressed. so i think something might be off.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #14,008 of 39,414
the major difference between the the jup and andro is that the jup’s upper mids are suppressed. so i think something might be off.
I played some headphone tests through my jupiters and theres nothing below 40hz. ouch. (or my hearing is ****ed.) also regarding the upper mids, what i think is upper mids might not actually be upper mids. the only thing i can describe it as is Thom Yorke's voice when he sings Nude. also not that this is in comparison to my A12t

Hi @twister6
Have you tested the tri-silver with the U12t? I'm curious as to how that pairing sounds. Thanks very much!

Edit: so I put some comply tips on the jupiters and it sounds way better now, i'm surprised. I can hear the bass now and the highs have been smoothed out. I wish I had some of the comfort tips though

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #14,010 of 39,414
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back