flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 16, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #13,756 of 39,414
Customers walking out of the LH store be like

tenor.gif

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #13,758 of 39,414
This term is very misleading nowadays. Are you talking about them $999 low end or them $1000 low end?
$999.99? That is under "$1k, lowbrow" threshold, right? Just kidding! Don't know a price, but it is properly at the low end.
These are great points you guys have brought up. As someone who's had years of access to Singapore and Japan's inventory of IEMs (i.e. 95% of the world's total supply), I can personally attest to the piles and piles of generic meh you have to wade through before finding a Custom Art FIBAE Black, or a QDC Neptune, or an ARC Custom MIRA, etc. And, by the time you find them, you'd probably be so fatigued by your previous listens that you sometimes miss them outright. It also doesn't help that most companies with such gems just happen to be the ones that are most difficult to collaborate on a review with as well. So truly, we do try, and I hope that side of the narrative is recognised here as well.
You know what... This morning I really felt that people underestimate just what kind of commitment it takes to review stuff. You sitting there going through piles of generic meh, and me running my lungs out in wind and rain just to push the durability of the E4000 to the limit for Wyville's Audio Boot Camp review series. I am in a perpetual state of muscle pain, just to see how much more psyched up better quality music can get me when I train. I ran in the pouring rain with silicone ear tips = big mistake, they sit less secure than a job in the Trump administration. Heck, a month or two ago my doctor told me to mentally prepare that I might never run again thanks to a chronic knee injury and here I am slapping tubes of pain relief gel on my knees just so I can push the gear to the limit... (Okay, I am exaggerating a little here, I would have slapped the pain relief gel on there anyway because I'm a stubborn idiot. :p)

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #13,759 of 39,414
Seems like we are back at BA driver wars. :deadhorse:
jh audio already won
https://www.facebook.com/JHAudio/videos/10155724875519041/
63 bass and 1 treble driver, i bet it sounded amazing

In all off-topic seriousness, I wonder if anyone got sleeves for any of the FMJ siren series iems. Even though I prefer customs, I feel like if I got an FMJ Layla at some point, I actually would rather have a silicon sleeve than turn the whole thing into a custom iem, so I could possible share the sound with other people (something that made me really sad with my first pair of customs)

edit: but then again, I wanna look at drivers.... its so hard to decide the little dumb things....

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #13,761 of 39,414
9f1e3f8bly1fz409cdmx1j212w0px4qq.jpg

Latest invention from your friendly local audio guy Larry Ho. 21 BA, bunch of breakthrough techs and will be delivered on time with only 6000 bucks.
What a bargain.

You know, it will be really funny (in a disturbing way) if they announce a new crowdfunding campaign to finance whatever that thing is...

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #13,762 of 39,414
You know, it will be really funny (in a disturbing way) if they announce a new crowdfunding campaign to finance whatever that thing is...
actually one time, i remember there was a camera lens and the first reward was $1 and you could get the lens which cost like $1500. if they crowdfund it, itd be cool if they did that, but itd be so hard to be first

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #13,764 of 39,414
Sometimes the old tricks work the best.

Well the old trick of single dynamic driver has its upside as well, I am burning them in but JVC HA-FW10000 are quite impressive...

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #13,770 of 39,414
These are great points you guys have brought up. As someone who's had years of access to Singapore and Japan's inventory of IEMs (i.e. 95% of the world's total supply), I can personally attest to the piles and piles of generic meh you have to wade through before finding a Custom Art FIBAE Black, or a QDC Neptune, or an ARC Custom MIRA, etc. And, by the time you find them, you'd probably be so fatigued by your previous listens that you sometimes miss them outright. It also doesn't help that most companies with such gems just happen to be the ones that are most difficult to collaborate on a review with as well. So truly, we do try, and I hope that side of the narrative is recognised here as well.

Thanks for sharing these impressions man! Thankfully I am broke, spent my last money on bicycles (hey, I'm Dutch...), so I can read and enjoy without getting any illusions. :D

I have a few interesting reviews coming up. :wink: (<- finally get to do my very own "Deezel wink" :p) And funny enough I have been talking to a manufacturer the last few days who showed me renderings of new "low end" IEMs where they were aiming to introduce a high level of engineering without a ridiculous markup. They looked really interesting and I am very curious to see the final result.

Bless you lunatics for wading through turd AND willingly shoving it in your ears. I eagerly await to be impressed. I know they're out there because I have a pair of 1 More Quads I use for work listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back