flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #13,741 of 39,414
waiting for the day when SE7 is released and people start saying ''geez , SE6 is a BARGAIN at that price'' :L3000::beyersmile::dt880smile:
I have never heard a TOTL IEM according to the price structure on this thread. Had Andromeda twice but fit issues forced me out. Sony EX1000 didn't get what all the fuss was about and EE Bravado that was $499 and then $599 just because what's another $100 added, they'll pay it, gladly. Bravado was veiled, with recessed mids and treble. Bass was good. I gave Oriolus Finschi a try at $179 and find it betters the Bravado, in my opinion which is what matters to me. It is not as good as Andromeda but I find enjoyment with it. I immediately ordered the Custom Art Black because of the positive reviews that were in essence, blind reviews. @piotrus-g is moving in the other direction which may encourage growth of this hobby and not have it end up going the way of two channel audio because of unrealistic pricing . I do appreciate all the time that anyone who does a review takes to bring that information to us. It would be nice to see some of the TOTL reviewers find some hidden economical gems that may encourage manufacturers to realize they are missing the boat on what is called mid-fi and usually mid-fi by price only. We just saw through blind testing an under $400 IEM though of as one costing as much as $1500. That says a lot about pricing and our perception of pricing

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #13,742 of 39,414
I have never heard a TOTL IEM according to the price structure on this thread. Had Andromeda twice but fit issues forced me out. Sony EX1000 didn't get what all the fuss was about and EE Bravado that was $499 and then $599 just because what's another $100 added, they'll pay it, gladly. Bravado was veiled, with recessed mids and treble. Bass was good. I gave Oriolus Finschi a try at $179 and find it betters the Bravado, in my opinion which is what matters to me. It is not as good as Andromeda but I find enjoyment with it. I immediately ordered the Custom Art Black because of the positive reviews that were in essence, blind reviews. @piotrus-g is moving in the other direction which may encourage growth of this hobby and not have it end up going the way of two channel audio because of unrealistic pricing . I do appreciate all the time that anyone who does a review takes to bring that information to us. It would be nice to see some of the TOTL reviewers find some hidden economical gems that may encourage manufacturers to realize they are missing the boat on what is called mid-fi and usually mid-fi by price only. We just saw through blind testing an under $400 IEM though of as one costing as much as $1500. That says a lot about pricing and our perception of pricing
There is some really interesting stuff going on at the low end too, such as the Final E-series, but it is not always easy to find the economical gems. With the TOTL gear is it quite easy to pick out which ones you're interested in because there are not that many, but with the more affordable stuff (especially around the $100-200) it is a very crowded market. That makes it quite challenging to separate the wheat from the chaff. Still, it is good fun when you do find it. Right now I am having so much fun with the Shanling M0 and Final E4000 when I train that I fear I might have been pushing myself a bit too far lately. :D

WReWDVd.gif

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #13,743 of 39,414
@Wyville Indeed but when you do find them it’s so refreshing, I have high hopes for the FIBAE Black, iBasso IT01S really took me by surprise and of course Final E5000 and Make 2 are also impressive.

I’ll go the whole opposite direction here... today I had the opportunity to audition gear that is even pricier than the higher priced IEMs... things I could never afford... namely to HifiMan Susvara (6K) out of the Viva Egoista 845 (12K) and the Stax SRS009 (4K) out of SRM-600 limited edition (not sure of the price). Both out of Hugo 2.

80DC5568-A9FB-4159-A94C-097CB0AAE21E.jpeg

I had already auditioned the Viva with the Utopia, it was nice but nowhere near the experience with the Susvara...I must say the Susvara wowed me very musical, beautiful timbre, transparent, full sounding, very fast with a balanced tuning... but above all the most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard. It’s fluid and smooth and because it’s very comfortable headphone and lightweight you simply forget everything... lost track of time ! This is a unique experience and IEMs are left far behind especially soundstage wise. Incredibly pricey but magical experience that raises the experience up to concert levels almost. Wow. If I had the money I would dive into that combo... almost wished I hadn’t heard it! High priced sure, but what’s the price of this level of emotional experience. Something to behold...

AB08470B-1846-4B0E-8702-E6F2AAD74782.jpeg

The SRS-009 are amazing as well, warmer sounding, more body but also more energetic and punchy. Very musical but less natural than the Susvara out of the Viva. There is something that is there to “show off”. Sure, technicalities of electrostats is there and can’t be match but you can hear the gear, with the Susvara you just have the music plain and simple smooth and beautiful...

Last but not least I got a quick listen to the Revel Ultima Studio 1999 speakers... oh my, this is something !

D240FFB1-F790-4F1A-94E0-93E1EE11CACD.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #13,744 of 39,414
There is some really interesting stuff going on at the low end too, such as the Final E-series, but it is not always easy to find the economical gems. With the TOTL gear is it quite easy to pick out which ones you're interested in because there are not that many, but with the more affordable stuff (especially around the $100-200) it is a very crowded market. That makes it quite challenging to separate the wheat from the chaff. Still, it is good fun when you do find it. Right now I am having so much fun with the Shanling M0 and Final E4000 when I train that I fear I might have been pushing myself a bit too far lately. :D

WReWDVd.gif
So a giant pile of turd you have to wade in to in hopes of maybe finding a ring not made of plastic? Doesnt sound very appealing to me....

The problem is that at that price range, the market segement they are catering to are the people looking for something that just works with whatever smartphone and youtube ripped music. To me at least this means that SQ isnt something they even have to be remotely worried about since it wouldnt result in an audible difference.

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #13,747 of 39,414

WReWDVd.gif

So a giant pile of turd you have to wade in to in hopes of maybe finding a ring not made of plastic? Doesnt sound very appealing to me....

The problem is that at that price range, the market segement they are catering to are the people looking for something that just works with whatever smartphone and youtube ripped music. To me at least this means that SQ isnt something they even have to be remotely worried about since it wouldnt result in an audible difference.

These are great points you guys have brought up. As someone who's had years of access to Singapore and Japan's inventory of IEMs (i.e. 95% of the world's total supply), I can personally attest to the piles and piles of generic meh you have to wade through before finding a Custom Art FIBAE Black, or a QDC Neptune, or an ARC Custom MIRA, etc. And, by the time you find them, you'd probably be so fatigued by your previous listens that you sometimes miss them outright. It also doesn't help that most companies with such gems just happen to be the ones that are most difficult to collaborate on a review with as well. So truly, we do try, and I hope that side of the narrative is recognised here as well.

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #13,751 of 39,414
I’ll go the whole opposite direction here... today I had the opportunity to audition gear that is even pricier than the higher priced IEMs... things I could never afford... namely to HifiMan Susvara (6K) out of the Viva Egoista 845 (12K) and the Stax SRS009 (4K) out of SRM-600 limited edition (not sure of the price). Both out of Hugo 2.

I had already auditioned the Viva with the Utopia, it was nice but nowhere near the experience with the Susvara...I must say the Susvara wowed me very musical, beautiful timbre, transparent, full sounding, very fast with a balanced tuning... but above all the most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard. It’s fluid and smooth and because it’s very comfortable headphone and lightweight you simply forget everything... lost track of time ! This is a unique experience and IEMs are left far behind especially soundstage wise. Incredibly pricey but magical experience that raises the experience up to concert levels almost. Wow. If I had the money I would dive into that combo... almost wished I hadn’t heard it! High priced sure, but what’s the price of this level of emotional experience. Something to behold...

The SRS-009 are amazing as well, warmer sounding, more body but also more energetic and punchy. Very musical but less natural than the Susvara out of the Viva. There is something that is there to “show off”. Sure, technicalities of electrostats is there and can’t be match but you can hear the gear, with the Susvara you just have the music plain and simple smooth and beautiful...

Last but not least I got a quick listen to the Revel Ultima Studio 1999 speakers... oh my, this is something !

Thanks for sharing these impressions man! Thankfully I am broke, spent my last money on bicycles (hey, I'm Dutch...), so I can read and enjoy without getting any illusions. :D
@Wyville Indeed but when you do find them it’s so refreshing, I have high hopes for the FIBAE Black, iBasso IT01S really took me by surprise and of course Final E5000 and Make 2 are also impressive.

These are great points you guys have brought up. As someone who's had years of access to Singapore and Japan's inventory of IEMs (i.e. 95% of the world's total supply), I can personally attest to the piles and piles of generic meh you have to wade through before finding a Custom Art FIBAE Black, or a QDC Neptune, or an ARC Custom MIRA, etc. And, by the time you find them, you'd probably be so fatigued by your previous listens that you sometimes miss them outright. It also doesn't help that most companies with such gems just happen to be the ones that are most difficult to collaborate on a review with as well. So truly, we do try, and I hope that side of the narrative is recognised here as well.
I have a few interesting reviews coming up. :wink: (<- finally get to do my very own "Deezel wink" :p) And funny enough I have been talking to a manufacturer the last few days who showed me renderings of new "low end" IEMs where they were aiming to introduce a high level of engineering without a ridiculous markup. They looked really interesting and I am very curious to see the final result.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #13,753 of 39,414
This term is very misleading nowadays. Are you talking about them $999 low end or them $1000 low end?
$1000 is low end? I thought it was bargain basement. It's probably gonna be $3000 /s

In all seriousness, I doubt that one company releasing products at lower prices than competitors will bring down prices of said competitors. I have no background in economics and marketing and selling things in general, but I just can't see companies like 64 Audio dropping their prices

Edit: also, does anyone have word on fitear's electrostat iem? or am I remembering incorrectly?

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #13,754 of 39,414
Thanks for sharing these impressions man! Thankfully I am broke, spent my last money on bicycles (hey, I'm Dutch...), so I can read and enjoy without getting any illusions. :D

I have a few interesting reviews coming up. :wink: (<- finally get to do my very own "Deezel wink" :p) And funny enough I have been talking to a manufacturer the last few days who showed me renderings of new "low end" IEMs where they were aiming to introduce a high level of engineering without a ridiculous markup. They looked really interesting and I am very curious to see the final result.

Ha! 'So proud of you, my man. :p

$1000 is low end? I thought it was bargain basement. It's probably gonna be $3000 /s

In all seriousness, I doubt that one company releasing products at lower prices than competitors will bring down prices of said competitors. I have no background in economics and marketing and selling things in general, but I just can't see companies like 64 Audio dropping their prices

Edit: also, does anyone have word on fitear's electrostat iem? or am I remembering incorrectly?

It's on my e-earphone article here: https://theheadphonelist.com/e-earphone-japan/2/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back