flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #13,036 of 39,414
I might be too late, story of my life lol. The IMR Acoustics R1 review is up, but I heard it will be replaced soon.

Enjoy some light reading perhaps?

Link here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-acoustics-r1.22682/reviews#review-21124

R1-03.jpg

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #13,037 of 39,414
Interesting...do you have any other info about the sound, except the description on their site?
I quickly tried a custom set of EM64 this week, the bass is strong, more than the EM10, but the sub bass section is way different than the EM32 one.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #13,039 of 39,414
I quickly tried a custom set of EM64 this week, the bass is strong, more than the EM10, but the sub bass section is way different than the EM32 one.

Yes, I saw the sub-bass is less than on the EM32.
Would you call the sound a full, warm and organic one as Earsonics described it?
And at this point do you still prefer the EM32?

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #13,040 of 39,414
Yes, I saw the sub-bass is less than on the EM32.
Would you call the sound a full, warm and organic one as Earsonics described it?
And at this point do you still prefer the EM32?

The sound signature, especially in the high mids though that's well controlled, is much more clear but still rich and full. The EM64 is supposed to be the EM3pro's worthy successor which had more professional applications than the EM32. The EM64 seems to be good for an audiophile use, but his purpose is only to fulfill professional requirements.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #13,042 of 39,414
Got it.
I have to plan a trip to Amsterdam one day, it's been long overdue!
Let me know when you are going and perhaps we can meet up at Hifi Solutions. (Not that I am that close to Amsterdam, but if the timing allows...)
Erik, I think that would be an ideal "solution" for you to visit HiFi Solutions, and get a chance to hear the gear you like before deciding on the next review. Just from a personal experience, we all have a sound preference, and just because we don't like something, doesn't mean it's a bad product. But when you have a queue of review samples, the preference is to review something you enjoy and would like to share about, rather than wasting days on a review of a product you don't enjoy as much. So, I think being next to @Adventure HIFi Solutions is kind of a blessing for you, to preview the new gear before making the review commitment.
Definitely a good idea! At the moment I suspect I won't be reviewing as much anymore now that we are living back in the Netherlands and we are making changes, so whenever I do write one I want it to be something fun that I enjoy writing about. Even if I do find the time to write more frequent reviews, then I still need to be careful because I do have a sensitivity to a specific treble peak. No idea which one, but several of Noble's IEMs seem to have it and even the VE6 X2 can feel fatiguing for me. So despite feeling the VE6 X2 are great IEMs, reviewing them would be a real challenge. Might still be fun to figure out what music I can get away with, but that is not really the purpose of a review.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #13,044 of 39,414

Lucky you. How did the subs strike you then ? Quicker but still extended ?

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #13,045 of 39,414
Lucky you. How did the subs strike you then ? Quicker but still extended ?
Not sure yet but it seems bass impact play a huge role

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #13,046 of 39,414
The sound signature, especially in the high mids though that's well controlled, is much more clear but still rich and full. The EM64 is supposed to be the EM3pro's worthy successor which had more professional applications than the EM32. The EM64 seems to be good for an audiophile use, but his purpose is only to fulfill professional requirements.

Thanks..honestly for a rich and full sound I was thinking at lower midrange rather than high mids.
I like the Velvet and I was always tempted by the EM32 as an upgrade, but the potential too powerful (and bleeding) bass and unforgivable treble had make me think twice.
Now that EM64 came into play I'm really curious how does it compare with the EM32 and the Velvet. How much the sub bass is lacking compared to the EM32, how smooth the treble is, how sweet the midrange, how dense the vocals, how much fullness and so on...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #13,047 of 39,414
Nov 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #13,048 of 39,414
Not sure if these have been mentioned but they look quite interesting. 2 electrostatic drivers + 4 BAs. US$1800.
I believe its been mentioned before. I also believe someone said it probably won't be that interesting because there are a number of iems with the same 2 electrostatic drivers.

I knew before that a lot of iem makers use drivers built by companies like knowles and sonion, but I'm starting to become disillusioned by that idea. How much does different combinations of drivers and filters affect sound signature? performance?

I start to think that the limits to ba drivers that people were talking about a while back is not because ba drivers can't improve more, but because a lot of the same drivers are being used, and their designs aren't really changing all that much. Obviously I might be mistaken, I haven't actually listened to a whole lot of iems.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #13,050 of 39,414
Not sure if these have been mentioned but they look quite interesting. 2 electrostatic drivers + 4 BAs. US$1800.

https://penonaudio.com/nf-audio-jd24.html

NF%20AUDIODJ24-700x700.jpg

I posted about these on the thread a while ago. They most recently premiered at CanJam Shanghai. Surely curious as to how these sound considering NFAudio's promising reputation with the NF6.

I believe its been mentioned before. I also believe someone said it probably won't be that interesting because there are a number of iems with the same 2 electrostatic drivers.

I knew before that a lot of iem makers use drivers built by companies like knowles and sonion, but I'm starting to become disillusioned by that idea. How much does different combinations of drivers and filters affect sound signature? performance?

I start to think that the limits to ba drivers that people were talking about a while back is not because ba drivers can't improve more, but because a lot of the same drivers are being used, and their designs aren't really changing all that much. Obviously I might be mistaken, I haven't actually listened to a whole lot of iems.

This is something that would've held some water back in 2012-2013. Proprietary BA drivers are now more popular than ever with companies like Jomo Audio, Empire Ears, Noble, Custom Art, etc. all spec-ing out their own transducers. Companies like HUM are using full-sized crossover components for their in-ears, 64Audio, Lime Ears and Ultimate Ears are experimenting with acoustic resonators, Sony are manufacturing their own BAs, etc. I think BAs have gotten incredibly exciting in conjunction with the rise of planar and electrostatic drivers and the resurgence of DDs, rather than being supplanted as many people have come to believe. If it's any indication, moving a filter by a mere millimetre can alter signature and performance, so can increasing the diameter of a sound tube by a millimetre, or using different brands of resistors, so on and so forth. Unless you've heard everything the market has to offer, I don't think there's any reason to feel disillusioned yet, lest you have the funds to move onto higher ground, i.e. two-channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back