flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #13,052 of 39,414
Wow only $1800 what a bargain :ksc75smile:

I guess for those who really want to try dual ES config, you can start with $750 Shozy POLA, move to $1800 NF Audio JD24, and then leap to $2800 Jomo Audio Trinity. Just follow $1k upgrade steps :wink:

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #13,056 of 39,414
honestly, all I am waiting right now is someone to have an honest and accurate review of se6way, that's probably the only ciem that will be a considerable step up toward my ve8.
Incidentally, my left side of ve8 had significantly lower volume than my right side today for some reason, but after a few hours, it was back to normal, which was very weird.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #13,057 of 39,414
honestly, all I am waiting right now is someone to have an honest and accurate review of se6way, that's probably the only ciem that will be a considerable step up toward my ve8.
Incidentally, my left side of ve8 had significantly lower volume than my right side today for some reason, but after a few hours, it was back to normal, which was very weird.

Oxidation from perspiration/environmental moisture on mmcx/2-pin connections often causes this (I've had it happen several times, DeOxit ftw!)- also sometimes cold solder joints/loose connections inside the cable terminations can have this symptom.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #13,058 of 39,414
speaking of weird things that somehow are temporary, I once blew out the drivers on my campfire jupiters. the sound was all raspy and weird. I unplugged them and set them aside, thinking they were done for. I put them on again a few hours later and they were completely fine.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #13,059 of 39,414
Oxidation from perspiration/environmental moisture on mmcx/2-pin connections often causes this (I've had it happen several times, DeOxit ftw!)- also sometimes cold solder joints/loose connections inside the cable terminations. Tried another cable?
Currently, I am using EA lionheart and I don't bother switching cable again because it is so hard to pull the 2-pin off. there is barely any area of the 2-pin that is not in the socket and I keep my ve8 in a box with desiccant. Honestly, I have no idea what caused it because so many things could have gone wrong but magically it worked out.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #13,062 of 39,414

For me, it was my used 3rd party 2-pin cable (that I trusted) which failed on me (it was a surprise as that cable maker was reputable for durability - everything comes with wear and tear I suppose - I should have invested in new cable for my VE8). Same, softer on the left (channel imbalance?) and it did took me a while to realize the sound was more dominant on one side and lob-sided - which is a weird feeling and make me doubt my hearing. Tested out the faulty 2-pin cable on another CIEM and had the same issue - in the bin goes that faulty cable.

Swapping out the cable to another 2-pin / stock cable and all is good now.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #13,063 of 39,414
Erik, I think that would be an ideal "solution" for you to visit HiFi Solutions, and get a chance to hear the gear you like before deciding on the next review. Just from a personal experience, we all have a sound preference, and just because we don't like something, doesn't mean it's a bad product. But when you have a queue of review samples, the preference is to review something you enjoy and would like to share about, rather than wasting days on a review of a product you don't enjoy as much. So, I think being next to @Adventure HIFi Solutions is kind of a blessing for you, to preview the new gear before making the review commitment.

Hé guys you are more then welcome to visit Hifi Solutions...
I was on a long Adventure with my wife, visiting the west of the USA...
Here is a brief impression of this so beautiful country ... We love to hike in the west!!
This is my spam post from the west USA... sorry for that!!

P9095936_DxO900.jpg

Route 66, a dive back in time!

P9127175Small.jpg

Ship Rock, that thing is so big, you can see miles and miles before you reach it!

P9137307small.jpg

Beautiful Colorado in September ...

P9179066Klein.jpg

Maroon Bells near Aspen, pfff what a spot WOW!

P9199929small.jpg

Colorado River near Moab!!

P9210677small.jpg

Drive offroad near Moab...

P9210869small.jpg

You wouldn't believe this is near Moab, it is called Oowah Lake, so neat, high in the La Sal Mountains.

P9241918small.jpg

Bryce Canyon, walk a bunch of trails!

P9252190small.jpg

Cedar Breaks , we loved it...

P9262964small.jpg

In Zion we did plenty of hikes..

P9273764small.jpg

Including Angels Landing, we made it :)

P9273516small.jpg

Be part of the world, free our mind..

P9284225small-1.jpg

Joshua Trees

P92944082small.jpg

The Fire Wave at the Valley of Fire...

PA015056small.jpg

Staying at the strip in Vegas!

PA045791small-1.jpg

And drive the High Way 1...

See our blog www.oldersom.nl for the travel if you need travel inspiration :)
When came back we started to change our listening rooms, this will be ready on Friday..
Will share some pictures from the store on Saturday!

Greetz Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back