flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #11,866 of 39,418
Have you ever heard top DAC/Source and amps in the 2 channel world? If not, you may not understand where I'm coming from. There is so much room for the DAP market to grow in terms of absolute sound quality, but folks aren't demanding it. They are demanding it of IEM companies, but the market is not a large one. The can and IEM market combined if very very small. Heck, the 2 channel world is very small and it's much larger still than the can and IEM world adn yes, that's world wide. Portable is and will continue to catch up. Eventually it will grow even larger, but it's not there yet from what some manufacturers have shown me.

I asked an amp designer in the 2 channel world about making a world class portable Amp/DAC together and he said that he could easily do it and it would be under 2k. He said the limiting factor is battery life, but he said that for the most part, the real drain on battery are transients. He'd need a reservoir of power to make sure it was there when needed. He said that he could easily do it in the form factor of what the larger DAP's are giving us. he also said that you could easily fit a source from files as well as streaming into this to make a true DAP. That said, he has no interest as the market isn't there for them to make money doing it.

This is one of those agree to disagree, but PLEASE go listen to any of your IEM's on top home gear as I can promise you will understand my statements and scaling of even average IEM's.

I've had brief listens to some high-end desktop gear (not 2ch) but the improvements weren't enough to convince me to drop a few grand for the sake of scaling. Maybe it's my ears, maybe it's my IEMs, maybe it was me not bothering to hear anything beyond $5000, maybe maybe... I've also had some 2ch guys from a different site lead me through some of their favourite gear but even they thought it was a pointless exercise to drive IEMs with speaker gear.

I partially share your sentiments as I've yet to hear a DAP outperform even something as measly as a Modi Multibit + Magni stack. Then again, the improvements I hear beyond that point don't match with the exponential increase in price tag so nearly all of my budget goes into transducers. People like me probably aren't the target market for all these gear so it pretty much is a agree to disagree situation.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #11,867 of 39,418
Thanks for sharing. 2 channel dAC/amp/streamers (In some instances) are also desktops solutions and in the same price range or even less than a Hugo 2. Much of it is due to the larger power supplies and reservoirs they have. Also, most will use a top linear power supply (LPS). This is much much better than any wall wart that many use. They are able to have separate supplies for each part of the device (DAC, AMP etc..). I was talking in absolute terms and not putting price tags on things. This is more about spending the money on the right source, dac, amp than to spend more than 2500 or so on new IEMs like the SE6 at over 5k.

We all have a budget and have a point of return on things. Audio, cars, houses etc....

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #11,868 of 39,418
Ah, I see it now! The purpose of the SE6 is so you can start by saying to your other half...
:imp: Hunny, I would like to buy these here SE6. :imp:

...so that after the inevitable tirade they will unleash at the mere thought of you spending that much, you can say something along the lines of...

:innocent: Oh alright, I'll stick to the Hugo 2 with the Phantom and Ares II 8-wire, and you can go shopping with the rest. :innocent:
Hah! That's it! Except I tried that with my wife, only I started with the HE 1. She called my bluff and said to go ahead and get it, but then I realized I would never be able to buy any other gear again...........................ever! Kind of took the excitement right out of it.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #11,869 of 39,418
*2008 a company drops their flagship at 1k$* - Them bois are nuts.

*2018 a company drops their flagship at 1k$* - Them bois are nuts.

WanSaltyBarnacle.webp

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #11,875 of 39,418
Looks guys, if its just one more bore and one more BA, he could have done it years ago right? The difficult part is the tuning and figure out what the 6 can do that the 5 cant. This is more of an art than a science. If you look at painting the same way theyre just pigment and canvas.

Thing is, I cant imagine what more can be done for ciem... Theres only so much human ear can hear.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #11,877 of 39,418
As I said elsewhere, this price on the SE6 is insane but my gut feeling is that if this is not a joke, then the SE6 should be quite insane.

I have no doubt the SE6 rocks (and possibly blows everything out of the water) but that's a bit besides the point, you can have the best product in the world, if you treat your customer like s%!@t then how can you trust that you can have proper support for the product even if you go for it... it's not very encouraging to say the least. You're not only buying the product but the relationship that comes with it, and that's even more true for a very high end product like this (where on top of everything there is no coming back, since no selling possible and no audition possible. Without trust? How do you pull that off???)

I have worked with a blunt genius, they need to surround themselves with people who care and either clean up their mess or call out their s%!@t so that they get down on planet earth, otherwise it won't work for customers. Now I admit I have no former experience with Grezgorz, maybe customer care is good and the policy is just plain arrogance. It's just not very encouraging... the only thing going there is how brilliant the SE5U is and the fact it's still competitive with top IEMs. Still a huge leap of faith...

I know from your post elsewhere that you talked to the guy and he says he spent 10 years reaching that result and says it's not a crappy pricing strategy and just reflect how good the product is. Probably. But the policy change at the very same time is not a good thing (at all).

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #11,878 of 39,418
I have no doubt the SE6 rocks (and possibly blows everything out of the water) but that's a bit besides the point, you can have the best product in the world, if you treat your customer like s%!@t then how can you trust that you can have proper support for the product even if you go for it... it's not very encouraging to say the least. You're not only buying the product but the relationship that comes with it, and that's even more true for a very high end product like this (where on top of everything there is no coming back, since no selling possible and no audition possible. Without trust? How do you pull that off???)

I have worked with a blunt genius, they need to surround themselves with people who care and either clean up their mess or call out their s%!@t so that they get down on planet earth, otherwise it won't work for customers. Now I admit I have no former experience with Grezgorz, maybe customer care is good and the policy is just plain arrogance. It's just not very encouraging... the only thing going there is how brilliant the SE5U is and the fact it's still competitive with top IEMs. Still a huge leap of faith...
You are absolutely right. I have heard good things about SE5U from @kubig123 but I was shocked reading the SE6 page.

I wonder what they will put on SE7 product description :beyersmile:

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #11,880 of 39,418
I wonder what they will put on SE7 product description :beyersmile:
“Upon verification that the SE7 can be made to fit your ears, we will give you the location of the back alley where you can meet our associate for your down payment. Dr. John Smith will take care of the first kidney there. The second one is payable upon completion of the build before we send the SE7 over.

Once received, we are sure you will find the sound to die for!”

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back