flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 10, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #11,701 of 39,414
Has anyone heard anything about this yet? A CIEM from Campfire Audio? My IEM Store is a legit dealer in Taiwan, so I doubt this is false in any way. Thoughts?

first i heard of it as well, my guess is a custom version of the atlas. either that or a unique build, maybe a hybrid?

either way, its gotta have a dynamic driver due to the port

Edit: Its a single 10mm dynamic driver, so a custom atlas
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-custom-in-ear-monitor-beta.885013/

further reading suggests this is a beta program, with 30 available spots, may be too late, but since it isn't final product anyways, probably not worth the trouble unless you're a reviewer (so what you gonna do deezel)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #11,702 of 39,414
Has anyone heard anything about this yet? A CIEM from Campfire Audio? My IEM Store is a legit dealer in Taiwan, so I doubt this is false in any way. Thoughts?

I think it their custom earmold for the atlas, I was told by one if the rep to check back late summer
SmartSelect_20180810-214056_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #11,703 of 39,414
On the subject of the new Spiral Ears IEM, not only do I heartily agree with previous posters who've politely suggested they are essentially a ripoff, but if its true the only way to audition a pair is to open your wallet and fork out 5k+ Euro then I would also suggest anyone who buys a pair of SE6's and posts their impressions online for others to read is inadvertently endorsing and promoting this shameful pricing strategy, and making themselves part of the problem.

Sorry if this sounds a tad harsh, but if Spiral Ears can get away adding thousands of Euros to their prices purely because their products "sound good" and audiophiles aren't savvy enough to call them out on it, other companies will inevitably follow suit. Furthermore, this presents an open invitation for the sharks of the two-channel audio world -where blatant snake-oil products are common- to come and 'join the party' and begin fleecing audiophiles on overpriced IEMs, DAPs and cables. Which I suppose if you happen to be cynical you could argue is already happening, but not to the extent these SE6's and a few other recently overpriced IEMs represent.

Without wanting to talk out of turn, I really do feel like this is a bigger issue than just the price of one single IEM from a single company. Ultimately it has ramifications for the industry as a whole, and how it sees itself - does it exist to sell audio products to enthusiasts, or luxury products to the rich who crave status symbols?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #11,704 of 39,414
Tbh, I find the pricing of 64audios fourth and a18 already borderline abusive, no way I can stomach spiral ears pricing this time.

The trend of charging ridiculously high recently is getting too much.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #11,705 of 39,414
On the subject of the new Spiral Ears IEM, not only do I heartily agree with previous posters who've politely suggested they are essentially a ripoff, but if its true the only way to audition a pair is to open your wallet and fork out 5k+ Euro then I would also suggest anyone who buys a pair of SE6's and posts their impressions online is inadvertently endorsing and promoting this shameful pricing strategy, and making themselves part of the problem.

Sorry if this sounds a tad harsh, but if Spiral Ears can get away adding thousands of Euros to their prices purely because their products "sound good" and audiophiles aren't savvy enough to call them out on it, other companies will inevitably follow suit. Furthermore, this presents an open invitation for the sharks of the two-channel audio world -where blatant snake-oil products are common- to come and 'join the party' and begin fleecing audiophiles on overpriced IEMs, DAPs and cables. Which I suppose if you happen to be cynical you could argue is already happening, but not to the extent these SE6's and a few other recently overpriced IEMs represent.

Without wanting to talk out of turn, I really do feel like this is a bigger issue than just the price of one single IEM from a single company. Ultimately it has ramifications for the industry as a whole, and how it sees itself - does it exist to sell audio products to enthusiasts, or luxury products to the rich who crave status symbols?
I'm not endorsing anything but here how I see it, take Louis Vuitton for an example, their product is used for the rich and famous only, but as people making more money and the more people buying it, the lower their price come down and lots more people can afford it, same thing goes for audio gears.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #11,707 of 39,414
On the subject of the new Spiral Ears IEM, not only do I heartily agree with previous posters who've politely suggested they are essentially a ripoff, but if its true the only way to audition a pair is to open your wallet and fork out 5k+ Euro then I would also suggest anyone who buys a pair of SE6's and posts their impressions online for others to read is inadvertently endorsing and promoting this shameful pricing strategy, and making themselves part of the problem.

wisely spoken.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #11,708 of 39,414
And yet people willing to paid for it:ksc75smile:
Does that represent a moral justification for companies getting away with this sort of thing though?

Pricing of this sort creates upward pressure on prices throughout the industry because audiophiles easily fall into the trap of thinking anything more expensive is automatically better, and can refuse to take seriously products which are competitively priced. Other earphone companies will feel pressured to raise the prices of their TOTL models to "compete" with the likes of Spiral Ears and 64 Audio, regardless of how much R&D, labor and materials go into manufacturing their products. It encourages a widening disconnect between cost, price, and value to the consumer.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #11,709 of 39,414
Does that represent a moral justification for companies getting away with this sort of thing though?

Pricing of this sort creates upward pressure on prices throughout the industry because audiophiles easily fall into the trap of thinking anything more expensive is automatically better, and can refuse to take seriously products which are competitively priced. Other earphone companies will feel pressured to raise the prices of their TOTL models to "compete" with the likes of Spiral Ears and 64 Audio, regardless of how much R&D, labor and materials go into manufacturing their products. It encourages a widening disconnect between cost, price, and value to the consumer.
Companies that sell overpriced iem has no moral, they in the business to make money, they are not the one for us to blame, the one to blame is the one that buy their products and there are way more people then we know, especialy the Asia market, we ENABLE them to charged for whatever they think their products worth, let think that no one buy their products, you think they still in business

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #11,711 of 39,414
Well there are companies that keep their pricing pretty consistent

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #11,713 of 39,414
Wow I just checked back into this thread after basically breast-feeding my dog post surgery for two days. What Spiral Ears? I was just coming to terms with 64 Audio's pricing!

I'll wait for the SE6 Massdrop edition for $300. It'll be missing a few drivers and sound tubes, but if I order quickly I'll be guaranteed a serial number under 40,000!

-Collin-

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #11,715 of 39,414
Wow I just checked back into this thread after basically breast-feeding my dog post surgery for two days. What Spiral Ears? I was just coming to terms with 64 Audio's pricing!

I'll wait for the SE6 Massdrop edition for $300. It'll be missing a few drivers and sound tubes, but if I order quickly I'll be guaranteed a serial number under 40,000!

-Collin-
I never understood 64 Audio's pricing

But I'll leave it at that

Hope the doggo is doing well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back