flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #8,101 of 39,419
Some further impressions on the Nerva X from Facebook.

Hello all, I have been testing the HYLA Nerva X quite extensively recently. I settled on some foam tips, which bring more comfort and do not compromise the highs at all on these.

I think in terms of source, I prefer the LPG over the WM1Z, it brings a bit more edge to the sound. In both cases, the Nerva X should be considered as fairly bassy. The bass had excellent quality, the depth and texture are to die for, but for amateurs of super neutral sound, this is not ideal...or so I thought, until I had the idea to pair with my little Obravo amp...and tadaaa! The bass is much more controlled and less in front of the vocals, clearly taming the v shaped signature towards neutrality. This works better for a lot of bass heavy modern music, but some may prefer the warmer sound with Jazz or folk.

In any case, the Nerva X, despite the fact that it takes some time to tame and understand, is a VERY impressive IEM. Beyond the visceral quality of the bass, mids are Uber transparent and resolving when the Nerva is well driven, highs are non-aggressive yet retains nice sparkle, but above all, the imaging is a killer. This impressive imaging combined with the deep rumbling bass makes for an atmospheric experience that is hard to beat for an IEM. This one is a keeper.

One side note, obviously they are wonder to look at, but like any diva they are super prone to scratching. Mine are already quite scratched, despite a lot of babying. So OCDers may want to be cautious.

29137035_10155739388208037_8578705833796304896_n.jpg
29213829_10155739388118037_1281706842006749184_n.jpg

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #8,103 of 39,419
I have a question for you guys based on my above impressions. How can an IEM have significantly less mid bass when amped?

I'm don't have much knowledge on how amping changes the behaviour of an IEM, but I can think of a few possibilities. A stronger amp would be capable of controlling the diaphragm better. This is because you're running the IEMs at a lower volume (from the amp's perspective; proportionally-speaking), so the amp has more headroom. As a result, electronically, there's less overshoot when it comes to the diaphragm's transient (or initial) response. This is basic engineering I'm digging up from the far reaches of my brain, and I don't know whether or not the same principles apply to IEMs, but it's a theory nonetheless. Alternatively, the amp may have improved the IEM's treble extension. As a result, the mid-bass sounds relatively less full/congested, because the stage is better-structured.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #8,104 of 39,419
I know it's hard to swallow the pricing of today's iems, but relative to the market I have to salute the pricing of the Phantom, Warbler, and SE5U! You can almost consider them bang for your buck iems in todays world of stratospheric pricing. IMO
I still have a real hard time justif
I'm don't have much knowledge on how amping changes the behaviour of an IEM, but I can think of a few possibilities. A stronger amp would be capable of controlling the diaphragm better. This is because you're running the IEMs at a lower volume (from the amp's perspective; proportionally-speaking), so the amp has more headroom. As a result, electronically, there's less overshoot when it comes to the diaphragm's transient (or initial) response. This is basic engineering I'm digging up from the far reaches of my brain, and I don't know whether or not the same principles apply to IEMs, but it's a theory nonetheless. Alternatively, the amp may have improved the IEM's treble extension. As a result, the mid-bass sounds relatively less full/congested, because the stage is better-structured.
As a (maybe silly) analogy, it's a bit like two cars with one having a more powerful engine than the other. Even when driving at low speed, the powerful one drives better, as the engine (usually) has more torque than the other.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #8,105 of 39,419

As a (maybe silly) analogy, it's a bit like two cars with one having a more powerful engine than the other. Even when driving at low speed, the powerful one drives better, as the engine (usually) has more torque than the other.

My key issue with this is that this little, has, on paper, less output power than the LPG.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #8,106 of 39,419
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #8,108 of 39,419
High output impedance causes bass-rolloff, which could be a reason for that phenomenon. But that would translate into the obravo being a ****ty amp.
Yeah I thought about that too, but it doesn't cause roll off per say, and there is still solid bass...very different from the effect of the Tera for instance. I will need to test this around.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #8,109 of 39,419
I have a question for you guys based on my above impressions. How can an IEM have significantly less mid bass when amped?

The Nerva X is a pure BA IEM, isn't it? With 10 drivers it's not surprising that it would have a non-linear impedance curve. Your LPG would have a low output impedance (well, low-ish at 1.8ohms) due to it being designed for portable transducers. Not sure about your oBravo amp but it could have an extremely high OI (possibly to compensate for their hard to drive IEMs?) and pushing the signature of your Nerva X in a completely different direction.

Of course, all these are assuming that the Nerva X's impedance curve is treble-biased (or bass-unbiased, depending on your perspective) which causes bass response to drop and/or treble response to increase with increasing OI.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with raw power. Especially with BA systems in which they are already so power efficient.

High output impedance causes bass-rolloff, which could be a reason for that phenomenon. But that would translate into the obravo being a ****ty amp.

Not always true. As above, it is dependent on the transducer's impedance characteristics. There are IEMs that increase in bass response with increasing OI.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #8,110 of 39,419

OBravo makes higher impedance iems that need amping, it's probably designed for their own products.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #8,111 of 39,419
Some further impressions on the Nerva X from Facebook.

Hello all, I have been testing the HYLA Nerva X quite extensively recently. I settled on some foam tips, which bring more comfort and do not compromise the highs at all on these.

I think in terms of source, I prefer the LPG over the WM1Z, it brings a bit more edge to the sound. In both cases, the Nerva X should be considered as fairly bassy. The bass had excellent quality, the depth and texture are to die for, but for amateurs of super neutral sound, this is not ideal...or so I thought, until I had the idea to pair with my little Obravo amp...and tadaaa! The bass is much more controlled and less in front of the vocals, clearly taming the v shaped signature towards neutrality. This works better for a lot of bass heavy modern music, but some may prefer the warmer sound with Jazz or folk.

In any case, the Nerva X, despite the fact that it takes some time to tame and understand, is a VERY impressive IEM. Beyond the visceral quality of the bass, mids are Uber transparent and resolving when the Nerva is well driven, highs are non-aggressive yet retains nice sparkle, but above all, the imaging is a killer. This impressive imaging combined with the deep rumbling bass makes for an atmospheric experience that is hard to beat for an IEM. This one is a keeper.

One side note, obviously they are wonder to look at, but like any diva they are super prone to scratching. Mine are already quite scratched, despite a lot of babying. So OCDers may want to be cautious.

The Nerva X was one of my show favs at Canjam, nice sig and I particularly liked the treble (very realistic).

Asides all the technical stuff concerning amping in general, are you sure you're not referring to a characteristic of the amp's specific sig, rather than something related to power? If I understand clearly you're comparing to the LPG, which has particularly authoritative bass and also more energetic treble than the oBravo amp. For instance, the amp also had a more linear, relaxed sig compared to LPG and modded 1Z when I tried it with the Ra.

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #8,113 of 39,419
has this in become a general place for high end iems?
Basically, high-end iems, cables, daps, and puppy gifs. But we also dabble in high-end rap battles and poetry from time to time.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #8,114 of 39,419
Speaking of which, I have decided to forego a life in academics to finally pursue my lifelong dream of being a rapper. I will be dropping my album this summer in a few months.

It will retail for $24.95, but I have GREAT news for readers of the thread, as you can pre-order it for JUST $19.95. I trust you will all go ahead and order right away, as this will likely be the hottest album of the summer. Thanks in advance!

flinkenick rap 2.jpg

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #8,115 of 39,419
Speaking of which, I have decided to forego a life in academics to finally pursue my lifelong dream of being a rapper. I will be dropping my album this summer in a few months.

It will retail for $24.95, but I have GREAT news for readers of the thread, as you can pre-order it for JUST $19.95. I trust you will all go ahead and order right away, as this will likely be the hottest album of the summer. Thanks in advance!

Just be careful WHERE you drop it. Don't get hurt!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back