flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 16, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #753 of 39,414
  anyone using only iem s without using full size headphones anymore?
i am on the fence of converting to in ears only, and i feel very confused right now

I only ever use IEMs because I need the isolation, but can't stand headphones of any size. I also use my IEMs a lot, often 8 hours a day. While looking to upgrade from the entry level (I'm still a budding audiophile) I felt the only option was to go for CIEMs. I have just ordered the Custom Art Ei.3. While looking around I did find it very interesting to see the APEX and ADEL technology to relieve the stress from the eardrums, but my current budget did not stretch to the 64 Audio A3 I was eyeing (like a talented budding audiophile I had already doubled my budget to make room for the AK70). I also fell in love with the Ei.3 when I demoed them, which are very non-fatiguing in their signature (that helps as well).

i am afraid that i am gonna miss the physical impact from full size cans in the future

I came across a Head-fi video on the Campfire Audio Vega where Jude comments in particular on the physicality of the Vega. I have no idea about them myself, but it might be worth a look: http://www.head-fi.org/t/823337/campfire-audio-vega-and-dorado-and-lyra-ii-head-fi-tv

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #756 of 39,414
I came across a Head-fi video on the Campfire Audio Vega where Jude comments in particular on the physicality of the Vega. I have no idea about them myself, but it might be worth a look: http://www.head-fi.org/t/823337/campfire-audio-vega-and-dorado-and-lyra-ii-head-fi-tv

Yes, some in ears can get physical but never like a full size headphones, but i find all of my previous or current full size headphones uncomfortable, but in ears, i can wear them all day.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #757 of 39,414
Personally, use mostly over ears for listening at home (love my HE-1000). But, I also love to listen while falling asleep, and in noisy environments, and in ears are the choice for these situations. Occasionally, I even listen to speakers...

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #758 of 39,414

[size=24.57px]ANNOUNCING PRIZE #3:[/size]

Toxic Cables Silver Widow 24 AWG (
£​
255​
)

When I first started this thread, I decided I would try to keep my enthusiasm for cables in check, and separate it from the shootout. I think we can all agree I have done a pretty lousy job at that. What are you gonna do, the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. So I guess plan B is just to send as many cables into the world now, and see how many people I can convert one at a time. It might not be the most effective, but we'll see where we end up. 

In one of my recent posts I muttered that a $350 silver cable is the height of the price-to-performance ratio when it comes to cables. A quality silver cable (from a respected manufacturer) should perform audibly better than a stock copper or SPC cable, while higher increments in performance are associated with unhealthy price raises. While this was formulated as a general statement, I did have a specific cable in mind when I was typing it. 

First, let me start by telling a short story of how flinkenick became a cable enthusiast. When I was still just a little n00b starting out, wet behind the ears and filled with hopes and dreams, I logged on to this forum to buy a second hand EarSonics SM64. It was recommended by a friend, who also gave me the following advice: "You totally need to buy a cable as well bro, just in case the original cable breaks. Plus they look nice." So I sauntered through the For Sale fora again, fearing my recently purchased stock cable could break down any time, and randomly bought a Whiplash TWag V2. When I tried the combo, it seemed to make the darkish SM64 a little bit clearer and nicer, although admittedly, I couldn't tell for sure at the time. But when my SM64 broke and I replaced it with the Velvet, the pairing was suddenly completely off: void from warmth, the Velvet sounded cleaner, but drained from all emotion. This was not working! So I drifted around a bit, experimenting with a few second hand cables, until I stumbled on a Toxic Silver Widow based on a recommendation (think it was Kerouac). Everything fell in place - the stage was clean, but the presentation still lively and full. I felt the sound was truly 'upgraded': a pairing that brought the best out of both the Velvet, as well as the Silver Widow. The combination kept me more than satisfied for a long time, even after I bought TOTL iems twice the price of the Velvet. The cable virus was real, and I still haven’t managed to find a cure. 

The Toxic Cable 25.5 AWG (the former version of the 24 AWG) has been anchored in my memory as a benchmark, and I've always kept fond memories of it since. And I'm not alone, as Toxic Cables is objectively one of the most, if not the most, popular cable manufacturers there is - their discussion thread has over 600 pages; my guess is that is probably more than all other cable brands combined. A while back I started talking to Frank, about cables of course and the biz. So he offered to send over his 22 and 24 AWG to try, since I had previously owned the older 25.5 version. Although I have been holding off on all new reviews due to the upcoming shootout, I couldn’t resist trying for the sake of nostalgia. I guess we all have a sentimental side, and the Silver Widow had a special place in my heart as the first cable that really ‘clicked’ with me.  

More importantly for you guys, I've decided to enter the Silver Widow as prize. So flinkenick in collaboration with @Toxic Cables proudly presents the Silver Widow 24 AWG as third prize, with a standard 3.5mm and 2-pin configuration. 

Brief impressions

The Silver Widow 24 follows a U-shaped presentation with laidback lower mids, and an enhanced lower treble response. Accordingly, the overall clarity and separation benefits from its presentation.

The bass plays a central role in the Silver Widow’s presentation. Specifically, the mid-bass is attenuated, resulting in a slight reduction of the overall body of the bass. As the sub-bass is plentiful in quantity, the bass is nevertheless significant in impact with an overall satisfying amount of power in the low end. As the balance within the bass has shifted from the mid- to sub-bass, the bass is slightly darker in tone. However, as a whole, the bass is tighter, quicker, and more controlled.

Due to the improved control of the mid-bass, the Silver Widow creates an airier stage structure, by reducing the warm air. In addition, there is less fill towards the lower midrange. Accordingly, notes sound more clearly with higher definition, even though they are relatively less full. As a result, there is more clean space between instruments, which benefits the separation. Simply put, the controlled mid-bass of the Silver Widow cleans up the stage, creating a more organized environment due to the clean air combined with the slightly leaner note structure. Even though the stage is not overly deep, it feels more spacious and precise.

Vocals retain their density and power, but are slightly less warm and forward in accordance with the mid-bass. The vocal presentation leans towards clarity and articulation, especially due to a lift in the lower treble. This creates a slightly brighter tone, effectively boosting the overall clarity. Accordingly, the Silver Widow is more upfront in its detail presentation. The slightly brighter tone not only boosts the detail retrieval, it gives the Silver Widow an energetic and dynamic sound.

However, I am fully aware of the controversy surrounding cables. So for this one time only, I will include the flinkenick 100% satisfaction guarantee: if you happen to win the cable and can't hear any differences with a stock cable, or are not completely satisfied with it for any other reason - you can return the cable back to me for free! No harm done, everybody wins. 

[size=20.007px]www.toxic-cables.co.uk[/size]

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #759 of 39,414
i know  will sound crazy , but if i win no1 prize i am going for one of the 2 cables

this thread just keeps getting better and better

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back