flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #7,606 of 39,414
matter solved guys , thanx for the feedback , much appreciated

on with our regular program , talking about dogs and virgins and totl ciems

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #7,607 of 39,414
matter solved guys , thanx for the feedback , much appreciated

on with our regular program , talking about dogs and virgins and totl ciems
Oh I don't know about dogs, Fido doesn't appear to be very motivated today...
HHADogs4.5.gif

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #7,608 of 39,414
For UE as well as UM? I remember coming across a discussion about it when I was looking into the Maestro V2, as it was not clear whether UE cables could be used on UM IEMs. (In this Miracle V2 review UE advised against it.)

Also @AC-12 uses a SIlverFi R4/R5 on his UE18+, but I remember it took him a lot of searching (polarity, 0.78mm vs 0.75mm) before he dared to try it. I think @flinkenick ended up telling him he liked to use his R5 with the UE18+ as well. Still, a good excuse for some cool gear shots (sorry for stealing your image AC-12, but I still drool over these :D )...
10024553.png

The MS employee I talked to elaborated further with these points and I’d like to repeat them just to confirm:

1) Standard 2-pin connectors will fit into extruded sockets, but they will wear the sockets out. This is because the 2-pin connectors are 0.78mm while the extruded sockets are 0.75mm. @kubig123 was able to fit them in maybe because of manufacturing variances. I personally have sockets and connectors that are looser/tighter than others.

2) All extruded sockets are reversed in polarity relative to their 2-pin counterparts - including ones from UM, UE and QDC. The MS employee suggests the reason why it sounds alright with the ME.1 is because the ME.1 has a single planar driver with no cross-over. He says using 2-pin cables on multi-BA, extruded-socketed IEMs will terribly impact the sound.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #7,609 of 39,414
The MS employee I talked to elaborated further with these points and I’d like to repeat them just to confirm:

1) Standard 2-pin connectors will fit into extruded sockets, but they will wear the sockets out. This is because the 2-pin connectors are 0.78mm while the extruded sockets are 0.75mm. @kubig123 was able to fit them in maybe because of manufacturing variances. I personally have sockets and connectors that are looser/tighter than others.

2) All extruded sockets are reversed in polarity relative to their 2-pin counterparts - including ones from UM, UE and QDC. The MS employee suggests the reason why it sounds alright with the ME.1 is because the ME.1 has a single planar driver with no cross-over. He says using 2-pin cables on multi-BA, extruded-socketed IEMs will terribly impact the sound.
Thanks for elaborating! It is all way too confusing for me. Thankfully the Phantom have regular 2-pin. :D

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #7,610 of 39,414
Thanks for elaborating! It is all way too confusing for me. Thankfully the Phantom have regular 2-pin. :D
Yeah, it also had me going like...
200w.gif

It almost gave me a headache :grin:

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #7,611 of 39,414
Also @AC-12 uses a SIlverFi R4/R5 on his UE18+, but I remember it took him a lot of searching (polarity, 0.78mm vs 0.75mm) before he dared to try it. I think @flinkenick ended up telling him he liked to use his R5 with the UE18+ as well. Still, a good excuse for some cool gear shots (sorry for stealing your image AC-12, but I still drool over these :D )...

No worries, wish I had taken time for a more professional photo. Anyways, the most important issue is that you will find your nirvana and fit in the EE Phantom. Glad your patience will pay off and we can all get some sleep now that we know which IEM @Wyville will hope to obtain.

I knew going in that there maybe an issue since the R5 is .78mm and the UE socket is supposedly .75mm. Tried to verify with UE rep but no response. Note that I have a non-default non-recessed model. I read somewhere that the .75mm may loosen a little with a .78mm. I was okay with it since I planned to never use the .75mm stock cable again. I think as long as you stick with the standard .78mm going forward, it's fine for the long-term. If you plan to go back to the stock .75mm, then you may need to think twice about the swap as it maybe loose once you got back to a .75mm. I had no problems with the .78mm on first insertion. Process went smooth. I don't plan on ever removing the non-recessed R5 from the non-recessed UE18+ since it's a really tight fit and don't want any issues. I have an recessed R4 planned for the Phantom so no need to cable/ciem roll with the R5. YMMV so be extra careful to not bend/break pins in this situation.

I'm not a producer of info, just an end end user that consumes info here so take this with a grain/pinch of salt.

On initial listening, I feel like this setup sets the stage like a holodeck in star trek. It's a strange experience, but as a new listening session starts that's what I picture visually once the track starts. With the Hugo2, you get a glass-like live (studio or live recording) realistic vocals that Rob Watts is consistently striving to achieve. It's really weird being transported to a holodeck with the artist, but enjoyable at the same time.

I didn't plan on procuring a holodeck machine, but that's what ended up happening... Note: Not sure if CIEMs will scale well with the mScaler...

h.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #7,612 of 39,414
No worries, wish I had taken time for a more professional photo. Anyways, the most important issue is that you will find your nirvana and fit in the EE Phantom. Glad your patience will pay off and we can all get some sleep now that we know which IEM @Wyville will hope to obtain.

I knew going in that there maybe an issue since the R5 is .78mm and the UE socket is supposedly .75mm. Tried to verify with UE rep but no response. Note that I have a non-default non-recessed model. I read somewhere that the .75mm may loosen a little with a .78mm. I was okay with it since I planned to never use the .75mm stock cable again. I think as long as you stick with the standard .78mm going forward, it's fine for the long-term. If you plan to go back to the stock .75mm, then you may need to think twice about the swap as it maybe loose once you got back to a .75mm. I had no problems with the .78mm on first insertion. Process went smooth. I don't plan on ever removing the non-recessed R5 from the non-recessed UE18+ since it's a really tight fit and don't want any issues. I have an recessed R4 planned for the Phantom so no need to cable/ciem roll with the R5. YMMV so be extra careful to not bend/break pins in this situation.

I'm not a producer of info, just an end end user that consumes info here so take this with a grain/pinch of salt.

On initial listening, I feel like this setup sets the stage like a holodeck in star trek. It's a strange experience, but as a new listening session starts that's what I picture visually once the track starts. With the Hugo2, you get a glass-like live (studio or live recording) realistic vocals that Rob Watts is consistently striving to achieve. It's really weird being transported to a holodeck with the artist, but enjoyable at the same time.

I didn't plan on procuring a holodeck machine, but that's what ended up happening... Note: Not sure if CIEMs will scale well with the mScaler...

Oh man...a Phantom + SilverFi R4 from a Hugo2? Now, that must sound phenomenal!!!
I doubt if I would ever leave the house again with a set-up like that :ksc75smile:

Btw, nice pic (to explain your listening experience)...I couldn't help staring at it for a few minutes and I might be hypnotized right now :grin:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #7,613 of 39,414
Oh man...a Phantom + SilverFi R4 from a Hugo2? Now, that must sound phenomenal!!!
I doubt if I would ever leave the house again with a set-up like that :ksc75smile:

Btw, nice pic...I couldn't help staring at it for a few minutes and I might be hypnotized right now :grin:

I'm done after the Phantom. A IEM consulted by Nic since the design process? It's a solid last purchase for a while. Moving onto speakers afterwards. If I order SilverFi speaker cables, I will try to get the R4 re-terminated to RCA out instead of 3.5mm. Not in any hurry. Planning Black Friday purchase.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #7,614 of 39,414
Yeah, @AC-12 has been whetting my appetite for the Hugo2 and the high end SilverFi's, but with me it just gives me images of...
funny-dog-animal-video-corgis-running-slow-motion-1.gif

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #7,616 of 39,414
Black Friday 2018 seems like my go-to date for any new purchases

i will have been off serious buys since July 2017 so i can justify shelling out some dough for some new toys

Phantom seems like the one , hopefully there will be many owners chiming in so we get an even better image of how it sounds

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #7,617 of 39,414
There's no free will. It's predetermined, stop fighting your fate.
:imp: MWUHAHAHA!!! :imp:
Black Friday 2018 seems like my go-to date for any new purchases

i will have been off serious buys since July 2017 so i can justify shelling out some dough for some new toys

Phantom seems like the one , hopefully there will be many owners chiming in so we get an even better image of how it sounds
Oh, I will definitely be writing a full review of them! Can't wait to unleash my music library on those and hear for myself what Nic and EE have achieved. :D

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #7,618 of 39,414

Oh, I will definitely be writing a full review of them!
Can't wait to unleash my music library on those and hear for myself what Nic and EE have achieved. :D

did you buy them already ?

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #7,619 of 39,414
Feb 14, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #7,620 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back