flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #7,414 of 39,414
I thought he was going to bet on 2018. 2019, every TOTL will come w/ a special cable that he'll be forced to review them anyways.
Baby steps buddy, 2018 would be rushing it. If we want to see Mimouille's transformation from a catterpillar to a butterfly, we need to provide the support and patience for him to thrive.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #7,415 of 39,414
2019: Mimouille, the cable reviewer. Mark my words.

You betcha. Now that I have the technical background for cable burn in from the EE thread :

"The insulation (or dielectric) will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (i.e. when music is playing). This energy-absorption causes the dielectric's molecules to re-arrange themselves from a random order into a uniform order. When the molecules have been rearranged, the dielectric will absorb less energy & consequently cause less distortion."

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #7,416 of 39,414
Baby steps buddy, 2018 would be rushing it. If we want to see Mimouille's transformation from a catterpillar to a butterfly, we need to provide the support and patience for him to thrive.

@flinkenick i know you won't believe it , but it's the truth - more than visiting amsterdam to test all your totl ciems , i want us to have a nice hash spliff and talk troll/gibberish like this under a lovely summer amsterdam sun

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #7,417 of 39,414
@flinkenick i know you won't believe it , but it's the truth - more than visiting amsterdam to test all your totl ciems , i want us to have a nice hash spliff and talk troll/gibberish like this under a lovely summer amsterdam sun
Let me know if you ever make it over here.

If there are any kids reading this: a spliff is slang for a traditional Dutch dish made of nutritional vegetables. Drugs are bad. Also, stay in school.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #7,418 of 39,414
As long as you don’t enjoy your nutritious spliff dish in a room with a window overlooking the street it should all be good. Of course the problem with the spliff dish is that as soon as you finish it you realize you are still hungry.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #7,419 of 39,414
^^This guy is 2018's cable reviewer, from what I just read on the EE thread.
Of course the problem with the spliff dish is that as soon as you finish it you realize you are still hungry.
Oftentimes, even more hungry :smile_cat:

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #7,420 of 39,414
Oftentimes, even more hungry :smile_cat:
Oh yeah, you can get really bad munchies from that. I can eat a whole bag of cheese puffs in one go! :D
giphy.webp

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #7,421 of 39,414
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #7,422 of 39,414
If there are any kids reading this: a spliff is slang for a traditional Dutch dish made of nutritional vegetables. Drugs are bad. Also, stay in school.
Oh boy, oh boy...gotta love this thread!
200.gif

Besides fun, it's also often educational :grin:

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #7,423 of 39,414
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #7,424 of 39,414
Mim, do you think it's harder to notice sound differences between audio format (lossless, lossy; 128, 320 bit), or between cable/wires? I failed miserably on that test, and recently noticing cable sound differences. Maybe there is any tips for doing that?
I usually fail horribly with these types of tests for one very simple reason: they are short sections of music I am not familiar with. The reason I pick up the differences with cables relatively easily is because I test them with a lot of music I am very familiar with and thus readily notice, for instance, if the bass section is placed differently or if the tonality is more or less natural. For that I find classical music to be the most informative because it is very layered and I know the pieces inside out, including quite often the intention of the composer and the specific interpretation by the conductor. That is why in my Eros II and Lionheart reviews I included specific sections on Beethoven's 3rd and 5th, to more clearly illustrate the differences I hear.

It also depends an awful lot on synergy. As much as I enjoy the differences cables can bring, if the synergy is not right I see no reason to switch from the stock cable, which is why I preferred the stock cable of the Saturn despite the uncomfortable memory wire. Equally, Ares II does not (in my opinion) synergise well with the VE5, while Lionheart works fantastically for me, but I could see how some people might prefer the stock cable (which has great ergonomics as well).

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #7,425 of 39,414
Mim, do you think it's harder to notice sound differences between audio format (lossless, lossy; 128, 320 bit), or between cable/wires? I failed miserably on that test, and recently noticing cable sound differences. Maybe there is any tips for doing that?
To be honest I don't put much effort in testing between different cables. I would if I had a cable switcher where you could switch instantaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back