flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #7,366 of 39,414
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #7,368 of 39,414
When I'm just listening to The Dream, I don't hear it as thin. Only when comparing it to something else, does that trait rear its head.

Harsh? Not to my ears. Very detailed and revealing, though. Certainly not smooth or warm. The Dream takes a different path.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #7,369 of 39,414
Thank you for this review. Is there any moment when you found it a bit thin / harsh in the mids?
Mim I remember when I was singing the Dream's praises you were asking the same. I never found any harshness either.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #7,370 of 39,414
Figured I would throw this up here....

20180130_010034.jpg Custom Art FIBAE3 time for a listen

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #7,371 of 39,414
Holy moly that's a beautiful faceplate.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #7,373 of 39,414
After so many years of listening. I started out with dynamic full-sized, then planar full-sized, then multi BA in-ears. Now I found myself back to the love of dynamic drivers for in-ears. I am ready to search for a new hybrid / Dynamic Driver in-ear this year.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #7,374 of 39,414
After so many years of listening. I started out with dynamic full-sized, then planar full-sized, then multi BA in-ears. Now I found myself back to the love of dynamic drivers for in-ears. I am ready to search for a new hybrid / Dynamic Driver in-ear this year.

I have always been a fan of DD, but If you want to go off the deep end and are ok with open back, the in ear planars and namely the LCD i4 will blow you away :) I have heard good things of the iSine 20 too, much less expensive

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #7,375 of 39,414
Zeus arrived.. first impressions, soundstage! Air! Vocals! Bass... well not as bad as some says, but not ve8 "level".
Anyways. Thanks to everyone who has shared their opinions In reviews or this thread, I think I will be happy with this combo for some time..
20180131_105625.jpg

Edit:
I can immediately see the usage for singer songwriter etc but i think the VE8 is more all-round and will still be my choice when i'm rocking it or browsing through genres..
The Zeus are a bit closer to my Utopia than the VE8, which are closer to my Z1R.
Except for soundstage where i think both betters the Utopia in some ways but does not reach the Z1r (comparing apples to oranges again) . But this is just 15 minutes in using the Zeus..

However the Zeus and VE8 are still more alike than not i must say, it's not a major difference switching, but i need to give it more time and my ears aren't as good as some of you here... :).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #7,376 of 39,414
Zeus arrived.. first impressions, soundstage! Air! Vocals! Bass... well not as bad as some says, but not ve8 level.
Anyways. Thanks to everyone who has shared their opinions In reviews or this thread, I think I will be happy with this combo for some time..
Now there is a lovely pair! These are probably very complimentary, right? I have heard the VE8, but never Zeus.

Enjoy! :ksc75smile:

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #7,377 of 39,414
Now there is a lovely pair! These are probably very complimentary, right? I have heard the VE8, but never Zeus.

Enjoy! :ksc75smile:
So far so god, not a major difference i would say, the VE8 has a "thicker" sound that just makes electric guitars sound awesome if that makes sense but i need more time. I can imaging the Zeus for singer songwriter and similar but the VE8 when i want to rock it.. So yes Complimentary :)

They do have signs of the utopia versus Z1R but not the the extent that one of them are exactly like the utopia and one as the Z1R. Voices i love with the Utopias, sound so real and engaging, similar with the Zeus during the first 15 minutes :) but the VE8 aren't far off.. (apples and bananas, ciem and headphones I know, but still) ..

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #7,378 of 39,414
Zeus arrived.. first impressions, soundstage! Air! Vocals! Bass... well not as bad as some says, but not ve8 "level".

Edit:
I can immediately see the usage for singer songwriter etc but i think the VE8 is more all-round and will still be my choice when i'm rocking it or browsing through genres..
The Zeus are a bit closer to my Utopia than the VE8, which are closer to my Z1R.
Except for soundstage where i think both betters the Utopia in some ways but does not reach the Z1r (comparing apples to oranges again) . But this is just 15 minutes in using the Zeus..

However the Zeus and VE8 are still more alike than not i must say, it's not a major difference switching, but i need to give it more time and my ears aren't as good as some of you here... :).
Congrats! Thanks for sharing your impression. :) I like both designs. The finishes look excellent. To me, the Zeus-R with WM1A sounds great, especially its bass texture. I can guess the XIV's bass is even more satisfying in terms of quality, and power. Especially when paired with WM1Z. Watch for the treble extension too.

I've heard the demo Z1R, and yeah I think it's not comparable with IEMs. Its huge soundstage, and voluptuous headphone bass. YMMV.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #7,379 of 39,414
. To me, the Zeus-R with WM1A sounds great, especially its bass texture.

which firmware are you using on the WM1A , 1.20 or 2.00 ?

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #7,380 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back