flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,676 of 39,414
Ello guys, currently looking around for a mid tier-ish dap. Which of the 3 would you recommend? Opus #1, fiio x5 gen 3 or ak70? Disregarding price, just for SQ

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #6,677 of 39,414
I don't think there are really any sides to take here, we pretty much agree on the same thing. I have no qualms with a gradual rise (found on the PP8 for instance, but it peaks at 3-4k) since the effect still remains that the sub-2k frequencies are not in relative emphasis as compared to the higher target bumps. Hell, even the QDC 8SH/Gemini have an emphasis at 1.5k, but the massive difference is that it plateaus at said frequency and is boosted all the way to 4-5k.

The Audeze portaplanars on the other hand have a PEAK (I think people are misunderstanding my wording here, peak = highest point of the frequency response and therefore will NEED an incline thereafter to be classified as such) of 1.5k which is causing the unnatural sound. The DSP masks that 1.5k peak by boosting the 3-4k frequencies to an even higher degree so the 1.5k PEAK shifts to a 2-3k PEAK.

ezgif.com-add-text.gif

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #6,679 of 39,414
Ello guys, currently looking around for a mid tier-ish dap. Which of the 3 would you recommend? Opus #1, fiio x5 gen 3 or ak70? Disregarding price, just for SQ
What I've read so far, Shanling M3S ($279) and Cayin N5ii ($369) are both worthy of your consideration.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6,680 of 39,414

I would wait a couple weeks and get the new Cayin N5II. I've had the pre-production unit for over a month, and it's killer. A hair better than Opus#1. MUCH better than X5III. I haven't heard the AK70, so I can't speak on that.

Fourte & N5II 01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #6,683 of 39,414
Jomo just announced a brand new IEM called the Haka. The UIEM version will have a 3D-printed shell and the model will make its debut in PortaFest next week. Hyped!

This is entirely your fault, btw, but.... @ryanjsoo, we have another job for you! Roving reporter. We need all the deets on this new and prototype stuff. :wink:

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,684 of 39,414
This is entirely your fault, btw, but.... @ryanjsoo, we have another job for you! Roving reporter. We need all the deets on this new and prototype stuff. :wink:

Will be sure to take as many sneaky smartphone pics as possible during the festival. That new Oriolus looks intriguing too.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #6,686 of 39,414

Oh... don't worry. Give me a few weeks and I'll have a thing or two to say about the Haka too. :wink:

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #6,687 of 39,414
Oh... don't worry. Give me a few weeks and I'll have a thing or two to say about the Haka too. :wink:

Looking forward to your take Dan, Jomo make some stunning designs! And taking requests now! I'll hunt down hose newbies but let me know if there are any models that are of particular interest!

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #6,689 of 39,414
Just yesterday I was saying to Nic how impressed I was with what you have been able to build up in such a short time since joining THL and you still keep surprising me. Great work man! Looking forward to it!

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #6,690 of 39,414
Looking forward to your take Dan, Jomo make some stunning designs! And taking requests now! I'll hunt down hose newbies but let me know if there are any models that are of particular interest!

Anything FitEar would be great! Simply because you can't get any info on them anywhere else. :D

Just yesterday I was saying to Nic how impressed I was with what you have been able to build up in such a short time since joining THL and you still keep surprising me. Great work man! Looking forward to it!

Thanks, man. It's been a lot of work and near-equal measures of disappointment and joy, but I've been extremely blessed and I couldn't feel any luckier. Speaking of looking forward to things, mystery-awesome-vocals-IEM review will be up in a few days. Stay tuned... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back