flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #5,941 of 39,414
WM1A/1Z owners, new firmware 2.0 is out. There are a few headfiers saying that for 1Z the sound changed for the better. Notably tighter bass and a bigger soundstage. Waiting for feedback from 1A owners as to whether the sound is also positively changed.

I'm having my 1A modded by Music Sanctuary, will probably update FW once I get it back.

EDIT: caught up with the Walkman thread, 1A users are reporting better note control and detail (possibly better separation/staging) at the cost of some of the lushness. Don't take my word for it, read the thread on your own if possible. I'm supposed to be napping but Headfi-ing instead lol.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #5,942 of 39,414
WM1A/1Z owners, new firmware 2.0 is out. There are a few headfiers saying that for 1Z the sound changed for the better. Notably tighter bass and a bigger soundstage. Waiting for feedback from 1A owners as to whether the sound is also positively changed.

I'm having my 1A modded by Music Sanctuary, will probably update FW once I get it back.

Awesome! Let us know how it goes! I'd be really interested in a 1A if the mod can at all add some top-end sparkle, air and dynamics, and midrange resolution.

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #5,943 of 39,414
Awesome! Let us know how it goes! I'd be really interested in a 1A if the mod can at all add some top-end sparkle, air and dynamics, and midrange resolution.
The damndest things in life are memory and confirmation bias. Of course I'll say the mod is awesome bcos I paid for it lol.

But I do agree with you, 1A stock lacks a bit of dynamics and air. Signature and detail levels are satisfactory.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #5,944 of 39,414

I got my 1A updated to FW 2.0, and to me the sound isn't that far different. Keep in mind though that I'm comparing FW 2.0, with 1.2 based on my weak memory. Many said that it made the soundstage wider, and notes leaner. But for me what stood out was the bass becoming tighter, and tiny-bit less in quantity. I'm not sure, because we need to A/B compare the two FW in order to get a more proper answer..

So how are you liking your 1A so far? Long way to go to the 200-hour mark?
:) It's pretty lush, and warm. Not quite thin, and neutral. I think the 1A pairs well with a brighter, lean-sounding IEMs. The extension both ways are great. And it's pretty detailed too. It has good clarity, but not too emphasized due to its increase in bass. Overall, I like it. It sounds better than many of my previous DAPs, and has a nice unique sound-character. How about you Normie? What do you think about your 1Z, paired with the i4?

I'm not very convinced about burn-in effect, so I feel rather indifferent for the 200-hour mark.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #5,945 of 39,414
The damndest things in life are memory and confirmation bias. Of course I'll say the mod is awesome bcos I paid for it lol.

But I do agree with you, 1A stock lacks a bit of dynamics and air. Signature and detail levels are satisfactory.

Agreed! :D I guess I'll see if they have a demo of the modded 1A when I visit next month. Still would love impressions though. :wink:

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #5,946 of 39,414
Agreed! :D I guess I'll see if they have a demo of the modded 1A when I visit next month. Still would love impressions though. :wink:
Okok I'll do what I can. :)

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #5,947 of 39,414
:) It's pretty lush, and warm. Not quite thin, and neutral. I think the 1A pairs well with a brighter, lean-sounding IEMs. The extension both ways are great. And it's pretty detailed too. It has good clarity, but not too emphasized due to its increase in bass. Overall, I like it. It sounds better than many of my previous DAPs, and has a nice unique sound-character. How about you Normie? What do you think about your 1Z, paired with the i4?

I'm not very convinced about burn-in effect, so I feel rather indifferent for the 200-hour mark.

Glad you’re enjoying it! Just got my 4.4mm re-termination done yesterday. Previously I was doing the burn-in with stock cable (and my 335 on a few occasions as well) and reached 170 hours on SE. The sound from SE is amazing already, really top notch. I couldn’t really discern any significant differences between FW 1.2 and 2.0. Now, going to balanced out with i4, I’m totally blown away by the sound and it’s a mere 10 hours of play now. Each note sounds very “focused”, each has its own role without interfering one another. And that bass, ooh la la, is so tight and deep feels like I’m listening to a really excellent sounding 12 inch subwoofer.

I have a bunch of DSD albums which I’ve never really enjoyed in their native format (except when I was auditioning WA8, mojo, ak380) and I can tell you, they absolutely shine with 1Z and i4. That analog feel, paired with precise timbre and plenty of micro details really really blow me away. Never thought DSD can sound this good. Although IMO, DXD still holds just a bit of advantage over DSD due to its super natural yet dynamic sound. This is really it for me, my dream sound combined with portability, I think I’ve reached my audio nirvana. Unless of course I’m tempted to upgrade my cable to Horus, or Han Sound Venom (hey @Deezel177 I’m still waiting for that Venom review/impression :grin:) or even the crazier Brimar Omni King offered by Jaben (way out of my reach). Heck, even Norne might have something up its sleeve this year end. Feels like another “being-sucked-into-a-black hole” experience all over again :confounded:

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5,948 of 39,414
Glad you’re enjoying it! Just got my 4.4mm re-termination done yesterday. Previously I was doing the burn-in with stock cable (and my 335 on a few occasions as well) and reached 170 hours on SE. The sound from SE is amazing already, really top notch. I couldn’t really discern any significant differences between FW 1.2 and 2.0. Now, going to balanced out with i4, I’m totally blown away by the sound and it’s a mere 10 hours of play now. Each note sounds very “focused”, each has its own role without interfering one another. And that bass, ooh la la, is so tight and deep feels like I’m listening to a really excellent sounding 12 inch subwoofer.

I have a bunch of DSD albums which I’ve never really enjoyed in their native format (except when I was auditioning WA8, mojo, ak380) and I can tell you, they absolutely shine with 1Z and i4. That analog feel, paired with precise timbre and plenty of micro details really really blow me away. Never thought DSD can sound this good. Although IMO, DXD still holds just a bit of advantage over DSD due to its super natural yet dynamic sound. This is really it for me, my dream sound combined with portability, I think I’ve reached my audio nirvana. Unless of course I’m tempted to upgrade my cable to Horus, or Han Sound Venom (hey @Deezel177 I’m still waiting for that Venom review/impression :grin:) or even the crazier Brimar Omni King offered by Jaben (way out of my reach). Heck, even Norne might have something up its sleeve this year end. Feels like another “being-sucked-into-a-black hole” experience all over again :confounded:

I'll get to it eventually, bud. It's not gonna be a THL article so those are still my priority at the moment. Sorry for the delay! :D

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #5,949 of 39,414
I'll get to it eventually, bud. It's not gonna be a THL article so those are still my priority at the moment. Sorry for the delay! :D

Completely understood buddy! :ok_hand:

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #5,950 of 39,414
@normie610 , I am really surprised when some say that 1Z is underpowered for the i4. But to me, 1Z made for an excellent DAP for the i4 even on SE. The soundstage and the bass were amazing. I wish I had tried it via 4.4mm. I can only imagine how good it must sound. Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #5,951 of 39,414
@Deezel177 Have you ever demoed Eternal Melody at Music Sanctuary? I was browsing Music Sanctuary's Facebook and came across the brand, which had the interesting mid-range focused EM-5 and the rather curious wooden shelled EM-6W. Is it another Chinese brand like QDC, or is it not quite at that level?
EM-6W.jpg

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #5,952 of 39,414
@Deezel177 Have you ever demoed Eternal Melody at Music Sanctuary? I was browsing Music Sanctuary's Facebook and came across the brand, which had the interesting mid-range focused EM-5 and the rather curious wooden shelled EM-6W. Is it another Chinese brand like QDC, or is it not quite at that level?

I believe I demo'ed the EM-2 and the EM-5 at some point, but I can barely remember them to be honest. I have semblances of an opinion, but I am nowhere near confident enough to comment. :D I did try the EM-6W, though, and I found it really balanced and almost QDC-like (now that you mention it). It has an exciting and impactful sound that's mostly focused on the upper midrange and upper-bass; the Lime Ears Aether and the QDC Gemini are its closest equivalents. Its sense of excitement comes from the its superbly black background, meaning transients contrast well against it to produce admirable dynamic range. Though, if I'm being honest, its "shier" midrange means it lacks a bit of weight and engagment in its tenacity (hence the Aether resemblance :wink:). Unfortunately, for now, the wooden shell is only available in universal form and AFAIK it only comes in that... uhh... "niche" purple colour. :p EM's build is great - though not as spectacular as QDC's - but they're aimed at the more budgetary-minded, so they're not as pricey either.

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #5,953 of 39,414
i noticed @ranfan selling 2 of his CIEMs (spartan/jomo samba) , could it be that warbler really stole his heart ? :jecklinsmile:

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #5,954 of 39,414
i noticed @ranfan selling 2 of his CIEMs (spartan/jomo samba) , could it be that warbler really stole his heart ? :jecklinsmile:
@ranfan you didn't like the Samba buddy? Seems if you enjoy the Dream, the Samba would fall in line (unless the bass of the Dream plays a large role)?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5,955 of 39,414
I believe I demo'ed the EM-2 and the EM-5 at some point, but I can barely remember them to be honest. I have semblances of an opinion, but I am nowhere near confident enough to comment. :D I did try the EM-6W, though, and I found it really balanced and almost QDC-like (now that you mention it). It has an exciting and impactful sound that's mostly focused on the upper midrange and upper-bass; the Lime Ears Aether and the QDC Gemini are its closest equivalents. Its sense of excitement comes from the its superbly black background, meaning transients contrast well against it to produce admirable dynamic range. Though, if I'm being honest, its "shier" midrange means it lacks a bit of weight and engagment in its tenacity (hence the Aether resemblance :wink:). Unfortunately, for now, the wooden shell is only available in universal form and AFAIK it only comes in that... uhh... "niche" purple colour. :p EM's build is great - though not as spectacular as QDC's - but they're aimed at the more budgetary-minded, so they're not as pricey either.
Thanks for sharing! I am trying to build up an idea of what is available other than the well known brands, so any info is very helpful. Hoping to find some hidden gems (IEMs and cables) like SilverFi. :D
That is very surprising! Hope it is just a matter of him finding his "end game". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back