flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #5,956 of 39,414
Thanks for sharing! I am trying to build up an idea of what is available other than the well known brands, so any info is very helpful. Hoping to find some hidden gems (IEMs and cables) like SilverFi. :D

That is very surprising! Hope it is just a matter of him finding his "end game". :)

Hidden gems like the QDC IEMs are one of the reasons I wanted to be a reviewer in the first place. Discovery fuels a rare sense of excitement, and sharing that discovery only propels the adrenaline further. Glad to be of help, bud. :D

Speaking of discovery, I found this photo on Earphone King's Instagram page a couple days ago. It's an IEM from the Hong Kong (I believe?) brand: F Audio. Now, Earphone King's photos are always very flattering, but these look like absolute beaut's!

23347753_1348241911970630_9219540633968967680_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #5,957 of 39,414
hey guys i ordered the ue18+, hehehehehehe :D

any suggestions for a portable usb dac/amp? for smartphone
fiio Q1 mk2?

or a DAP with anroid play store?
price range prob below fiio x7 mk2.

not really looking to improve the sound, just need super low noise floor
and just linear FR
  • Input sensitivity:
    100 dB @ 1 kHz, 100 mW
  • Impedance:
    37.5 Ohms@ 1 kHz

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,958 of 39,414
Hidden gems like the QDC IEMs are one of the reasons I wanted to be a reviewer in the first place. Discovery fuels a rare sense of excitement, and sharing that discovery only propels the adrenaline further. Glad to be of help, bud. :D
Yes, it is very exciting to find something new and I hope that as I develop myself as a reviewer I might be able to share impressions of some very unique gear.
Speaking of discovery, I found this photo on Earphone King's Instagram page a couple days ago. It's an IEM from the Hong Kong (I believe?) brand: F Audio. Now, Earphone King's photos are always very flattering, but these look like absolute beaut's!

Very nice! Now you just need to get your hands on some review samples. :D
hey guys i ordered the ue18+, hehehehehehe :D
Congrats! They still top my "to buy" list. Lovely, lovely IEMs!

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #5,959 of 39,414
i noticed @ranfan selling 2 of his CIEMs (spartan/jomo samba) , could it be that warbler really stole his heart ? :jecklinsmile:
The Prelude I think could capture anyone's heart. This little bird is IMO truly special. I had a listen to this song with Prelude earlier, and am still astonished as how beautiful, and realistic it sounds. It's as if you're there, listening along in the room, immersed with the song, and experience. I don't mind the lack of bass/treble extension. The bass in my experience was at the perfect amount, and very high in quality. The treble too was so gentle, and smooth, yet also clear.

Please let me know what you think with the Zeus, Proedros. The Zeus I think is close to perfect as well. I'm interested especially with the R settings. Both the Zeus, and Prelude I think has exceptional midrange. I'm considering getting one, maybe someday. :D

@ranfan you didn't like the Samba buddy? Seems if you enjoy the Dream, the Samba would fall in line (unless the bass of the Dream plays a large role)?
Well for electronic music, I do. Very much so. It's easier to drive, and the bass sounds overall more satisfying than the Dream. The treble too has enough emphasis, and a very good presentation. It doesn't sound harsh, or peaky. And it's very clear, providing a nice light to the whole signature. I'm still considering as to keeping it. Perhaps need more time to appreciate it in entirety, or find a better source. Like the Spartan, almost everything the Samba has, sounds good, and nice. But for my preference, I wish it could have less bass, leaner airier notes, and more natural midrange/accurate timbre. I quite like the Samba, but since I like the Prelude more for most of my playlist, I plan on making some room for future additions. :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #5,960 of 39,414
Please let me know what you think with the Zeus, Proedros. The Zeus I think is close to perfect as well. I'm interested especially with the R settings. Both the Zeus, and Prelude I think has exceptional midrange. I'm considering getting one, maybe someday. :D

will get back with thorough impressions tomorrow as it's nap time here , for now 2 things

1 - if you go for Zeus , go all in and get the XR model , as much as you are interested in the R setting , you will also enjoy/need the XIV setting as well

2 - @Kerouac has both Zeus and also currently awaits Prelude , so he should also chime in on how Zeus sounds - and maybe offer some comparisons with Prelude

cheers

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5,961 of 39,414
@normie610 , I am really surprised when some say that 1Z is underpowered for the i4. But to me, 1Z made for an excellent DAP for the i4 even on SE. The soundstage and the bass were amazing. I wish I had tried it via 4.4mm. I can only imagine how good it must sound. Happy Listening!

Definitely not underpowered and yes the pairing is excellent :thumbsup:

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #5,962 of 39,414
The Prelude I think could capture anyone's heart. This little bird is IMO truly special. I had a listen to this song with Prelude earlier, and am still astonished as how beautiful, and realistic it sounds. It's as if you're there, listening along in the room, immersed with the song, and experience. I don't mind the lack of bass/treble extension. The bass in my experience was at the perfect amount, and very high in quality. The treble too was so gentle, and smooth, yet also clear.

Well for electronic music, I do. Very much so. It's easier to drive, and the bass sounds overall more satisfying than the Dream. The treble too has enough emphasis, and a very good presentation. It doesn't sound harsh, or peaky. And it's very clear, providing a nice light to the whole signature. I'm still considering as to keeping it. Perhaps need more time to appreciate it in entirety, or find a better source. Like the Spartan, almost everything the Samba has, sounds good, and nice. But for my preference, I wish it could have less bass, leaner airier notes, and more natural midrange/accurate timbre. I quite like the Samba, but since I like the Prelude more for most of my playlist, I plan on making some room for future additions. :)

That song was really nice Ranfan, thanks for sharing! Definitely the type of music I love and I will have a look at getting one of her albums.

If you enjoy this type of vocal music, then perhaps the VE5 might be worth a demo at some point. I can see how the Prelude works really well for this type of music, with its intimacy and emotion, but the VE5 will (I expect) also do very well in a different way. From Jelt's review:

"The emotions on both IEMs are also portrayed differently. The Warbler Prelude tugs at your heartstrings, and you will feel the rising and the falling- the ebbing and the flowing- as you follow along the cadence of the song. On the other hand the VE5 is wide-open, stunning you with the air and tone and sheer virtuoso of each midrange note- like a controlled, well-rehearsed, do-no-wrong valedictorian." - http://theheadphonelist.com/vision-ears-ve5-the-valedictorian-of-the-midrange/4/
Not saying that you should go out and buy the VE5 right this second, but the VE5 might compliment the Prelude very nicely. :wink: I am certainly trying to find a way through which I might be able to add the VE5 to my TOTL plans.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #5,963 of 39,414
Hi!

Im just wondering if the Qdc Gemini will fit in your list or maybe the prophile 8?

I liked the pp8 switches down for both
As I like a flatter natural response close to a real voice.

Anyone can help me finding a smooth sounding iem that is flat? A bit sub bass is good to make it a little warm not mid bass.

Genres are acoustics, mellow, soul rnb, acapella, classical, relaxing instrumentals.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #5,964 of 39,414
Hi!

Im just wondering if the Qdc Gemini will fit in your list or maybe the prophile 8?

Anyone can help me finding a smooth sounding iem that is flat? A bit sub bass is good to make it a little warm not mid bass.

Genres are acoustics, mellow, soul rnb, acapella, classical, relaxing instrumentals.

Thanks!

Looks like the SE5U might be for you. The H8.2 and the UE18+ would be great options as well, but the latter isn't very sub-bass-heavy.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #5,965 of 39,414
Hi!

Thanks!
I've asked Nic about the Gemini in theheadphonelist.com, below was his response in regards to the ranking.

IMG_20171113_213843.jpg

Nic's top 4 are SE5U, Zeus XIV, A18 and VE8. From his comments here it's likely Gemini is top 10 material at least. But having heard the Gemini before, the treble might be a bit bright for your liking.

His full review is here:
http://theheadphonelist.com/qdc-gemini/

For a smooth IEM I think Harmony 8.2 might be up your alley. It's a great IEM to get lost in the music and relax. Can't really recommend the others as I've not heard them, but your journey might have some similarities with @Wyville. UE18+ is in his final shortlist.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #5,966 of 39,414
Looks like the SE5U might be for you. The H8.2 and the UE18+ would be great options as well, but the latter isn't very sub-bass-heavy.

Sub bass can definitely be EQued but I want to have a flat reference monitor with smooth transition from mids to high without being harsh or piercing... Or maybe overall presentation is smooth but reference? Haha is that even possible?
I've asked Nic about the Gemini in theheadphonelist.com, below was his response in regards to the ranking.

Nic's top 4 are SE5U, Zeus XIV, A18 and VE8. From his comments here it's likely Gemini is top 10 material at least. But having heard the Gemini before, the treble might be a bit bright for your liking.

His full review is here:
theheadphonelist.com/qdc-gemini/

For a smooth IEM I think Harmony 8.2 might be up your alley. It's a great IEM to get lost in the music and relax. Can't really recommend the others as I've not heard them, but your journey might have some similarities with @Wyville. UE18+ is in his final shortlist.

Thanks for your help! But I prefer universals as I like the thought of sharing it to others.

As mentioned above.. Flat but with smooth presentation. Ue 18pro+ might be it, so far the smoothest iem ive heard is the qdc 4ss but it is thin sounding but overall I can relax without pierced or having an aching ears after 2 to 3 hours of listening.. Extention is somehow short but Im ok with it as long as it smooth.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5,967 of 39,414
Sub bass can definitely be EQued but I want to have a flat reference monitor with smooth transition from mids to high without being harsh or piercing... Or maybe overall presentation is smooth but reference? Haha is that even possible?

Thanks for your help! But I prefer universals as I like the thought of sharing it to others.

As mentioned above.. Flat but with smooth presentation. Ue 18pro+ might be it, so far the smoothest iem ive heard is the qdc 4ss but it is thin sounding but overall I can relax without pierced or having an aching ears after 2 to 3 hours of listening.. Extention is somehow short but Im ok with it as long as it smooth.
Hi buddy, from your comment about PP8 it seems like you're looking for a neutral monitor in tone is that correct? Or would you mind if it is warmer? And coming from PP8, is there something you'd like to see different?

As for being harsh or piercing, are you generally sensitive to treble? Gemini is like reinterpretation of NT6pro in some ways, iems that I value for their sparkle. However, whether the treble is offensive will come down to personal sensitivity.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #5,968 of 39,414
UE18+ is warmer than PP8 even with PP8 bass boost switch on. I like PP8 treble it’s smoother and doesn’t have narrow peaks or dips. I think is a true flat/reference signature. You can hear everything without sounding too forward or laid-back.

Hi buddy, from your comment about PP8 it seems like you're looking for a neutral monitor in tone is that correct? Or would you mind if it is warmer? And coming from PP8, is there something you'd like to see different?

As for being harsh or piercing, are you generally sensitive to treble? Gemini is like reinterpretation of NT6pro in some ways, iems that I value for their sparkle. However, whether the treble is offensive will come down to personal sensitivity.

Hi! I feel supported here :)
Honestly ive tried the gemini and dont like them that much, all i want is vocals i then the rest follows.

I might settle on pp8 but maybe there is a different iem better than pp8, neutral and somehow realistic timber or presentation.

The reason why I want a warmer signature its because most warm iems have smooth presentation but overall yes reference is my type focused on vocals.

Sub bass is not really needed as I can deal with it on an average level but warm sounding for sould rnb a plus for me so im thorned at the moment.

But if you think that the pp8 is best for me.. Well that will be my end game iem though im confused as other refer me to warbler prelude which i might like but definitely not as it is a ciem.

I thought choosing ue 18 pro + is somehow better but maybe I will just stick to pp8 then, also im a frustrated singer and most of my genre are for solo like whitney houston, eric clapton, louis armstrong and etc.

P. S i havent tried the ue 18 pro plus yet.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #5,969 of 39,414
Honestly ive tried the gemini and dont like them that much, all i want is vocals i then the rest follows.

I might settle on pp8 but maybe there is a different iem better than pp8, neutral and somehow realistic timber or presentation.

The reason why I want a warmer signature its because most warm iems have smooth presentation but overall yes reference is my type focused on vocals.

Sub bass is not really needed as I can deal with it on an average level but warm sounding for sould rnb a plus for me so im thorned at the moment.

But if you think that the pp8 is best for me.. Well that will be my end game iem though im confused as other refer me to warbler prelude which i might like but definitely not as it is a ciem.

I thought choosing ue 18 pro + is somehow better but maybe I will just stick to pp8 then, also im a frustrated singer and most of my genre are for solo like whitney houston, eric clapton, louis armstrong and etc.

Thanks!
Just as a suggestion, you might want to read up on the Vision Ears VE5:
http://theheadphonelist.com/vision-ears-ve5-the-valedictorian-of-the-midrange/

What I have learned myself is that it is possible to have brighter IEMs that are still smooth and I believe the VE5 are a good example of that. They have a focus on the upper midrange, but when I demoed them they were very smooth, even with a soprano reaching for the high note. They are also especially good for vocals. They are however quite unique in their presentation and might not work as well with some types of music. The UE18+ Pro might be more versatile in comparison.

Also, the Vision Ears VE3, which are very neutral with an unexcited bass and I didn't have any issues with them at all (in terms of treble). Mind you, I only heard them briefly, but they were certainly very "reference", clinical even.

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #5,970 of 39,414

Thanks!
Well this seems very suitable for UE18+, which really excels with vocals. As Erik mentioned VE5 was tuned with vocalists in mind, but I haven't heard it myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back