flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 7, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #556 of 39,419
  @flinkenick  I hope you don´t have any pressure finding the "right" ranking, because reading there are so many favouring the Zeus, you know, there are scientific experiments stating that the more people claim something, the more the others tend to say the same :wink:

I tried to guess, on what I think are his preferences and the hype out there, but I have a feeling that he is going to surprise everyone with the final rankings. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #557 of 39,419
  @flinkenick  I hope you don´t have any pressure finding the "right" ranking, because reading there are so many favouring the Zeus, you know, there are scientific experiments stating that the more people claim something, the more the others tend to say the same :wink:

Yeah I thought about that. But no need to worry. I scored the iems I had already a while back :wink: It's mostly fitting in the new iems. After the list is complete I'll look over the scores again. Rough estimates take 5 minutes, but I could prob spend days on the fine tuning.

Interesting to see which iems are popular in the public's eye though from a 'marketing' perspective, it's a nice side effect of the rankings.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #558 of 39,419
And I have a suggestion: Is it maybe possible to post all those "updated voting rankings" in the other thread that was made by nic for this purpose, because maybe it's kind of boring for those who will read this great thread in 6 months and then they would have to skip so many pages because everyone would only write about how to vote and how the votes will be counted etc.
Don't get me wrong, I like the vote thing (and will vote too) but I love this thread so much because it is all about SOUND!

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #559 of 39,419
And I have a suggestion: Is it maybe possible to post all those "updated voting rankings" in the other thread that was made by nic for this purpose, because maybe it's kind of boring for those who will read this great thread in 6 months and then they would have to skip so many pages because everyone would only write about how to vote and how the votes will be counted etc.
Don't get me wrong, I like the vote thing (and will vote too) but I love this thread so much because it is all about SOUND!

Fair enough, @proedros how about we just do an update once a week max or something. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #560 of 39,419
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #561 of 39,419
I have a question about your AK380cu: Is there a difference when listening with the additional AK amp module? I know it's not necessary for BA IEM's (but for power hungry cans) but maybe for the Vega and other DD's? Or do multi BA IEM's also benefit from more power (even if they would not "need" it)?

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #563 of 39,419

i agree, hence the table daily updated here (post #3 of the thread):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/834185/win-a-fidue-sirius-or-silverfi-iem-x-prediction-thread-for-flinkenicks-2017-iem-flagship-shootout#post_13229204

interesting to see the outcome of the data collected in the future, for references. credits to @proedros for his initiative.

--

talk about sound, i'm curious are/were there any other iem that didn't make it to the list @flinkenick? the ones that almost make it, or you'd like to add but haven't tried.

i personally would like to read your review of the aroma witch 12, or oriolus mk2  / mellianus 10 ba, someday.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #564 of 39,419
I have a question about your AK380cu: Is there a difference when listening with the additional AK amp module? I know it's not necessary for BA IEM's (but for power hungry cans) but maybe for the Vega and other DD's? Or do multi BA IEM's also benefit from more power (even if they would not "need" it)?

I don't have the amp :wink:

AK380Cu+Amp Cu improve the bass impact from my Zeus-XRA.

It's a pity Red Wine doesn't do the mod anymore, because you would love what he does with the bass. The bass goes from slightly lean, to as powerful as the LPG (which is pretty powerful).

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #565 of 39,419
  talk about sound, i'm curious are/were there any other iem that didn't make it to the list @flinkenick? the ones that almost make it, or you'd like to add but haven't tried.

i personally would like to read your review of the aroma witch 12, or oriolus mk2  / mellianus 10 ba, someday.

Yes I was talking for a long time with Inear and especially Oriolus. The Mellianus was dead set to be the final iem for a long time, but they kept pushing the release for strategic reasons. However, there's still a fairly good chance we do something together in the future even though it didn't make the shootout. Both companies have some of the friendliest people to deal with btw. 

In other news, I have calculated the regression values for the relationship between price or drivers and the current ranking. In simple words, this just means 'how much dollars/drivers does it increase, if you go up one higher position on the ranking'. 

The average amount of drivers = 6.5

The regression value for drivers and rank score of the current 13 iems = 0.004. So statistically speaking, going up one position in rank increases the driver count by '0.004' = which means there is virtually no relationship between drivers and rank position.

I'll keep the preliminary regression value of the price for myself for now, as it would probably mess with your minds too much 
biggrin.gif

Keep in mind this does not include the A18 and Maestro V2 which have respectively 18 and 12 BA's, as well as the Dream with its single DD. And try not too make too much of it as the list is not complete, and it's just a preliminary scoring. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #566 of 39,419
  Yes I was talking for a long time with Inear and especially Oriolus. The Mellianus was dead set to be the final iem for a long time, but they kept pushing the release for strategic reasons. However, there's still a fairly good chance we do something together in the future even though it didn't make the shootout. Both companies have some of the friendliest people to deal with btw. 

In other news, I have calculated the regression values for the relationship between price or drivers and the current ranking. In simple words, this just means 'how much dollars/drivers does it increase, if you go up one higher position on the ranking'. 

The regression value for drivers and rank score of the current 13 iems = 0.004. Which means there is virtually no relationship between drivers and rank position.

I'll keep the preliminary regression value of the price for myself for now, as it would probably mess with your minds too much 
biggrin.gif

Keep in mind this does not include the A18 and Maestro V2 which have respectively 18 and 12 BA's, as well as the Dream with its single DD. And try not too make too much of it as the list is not complete, and it's just a preliminary scoring. 

Haha you already lost me at ''Yes''
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #568 of 39,419
  Lol, the only thing to read is that there is no relationship between drivers and rank you can forget the rest.

Yeah, I did fully understood the message in your post (just like to kidd around) and thought it was an interesting one 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #569 of 39,419

The regression value for drivers and rank score of the current 13 iems = 0.004. So statistically speaking, going up one position in rank increases the driver count by '0.004' = which means there is virtually no relationship between drivers and rank position.

biggrin.gif

man you are too smart for indie rock like Beck , i think you better start listening some King Crimson / electric miles davis 70s period etc

you really burned me here

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #570 of 39,419

wow. interesting for audio companies as well. quality over quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back