flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,366 of 39,414
Zeus's vocal strength interests me but it's apparent lack of bass also keeps me away... SE5U seems to excel at both so I keep getting drawn to it. Luckily A18 is not really in the pic as it's not only ridiculously expensive but it seems to have a brighter overall tuning than I'd like, as I get the impression it's more of a V-ish shape, though I do wish I had the Apex module as an option as I listen to music louder than many, it seems.

I guess I'm looking for an XXx shape (or an L, flipped horizontally, then rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise lol) that also excels at clarity without the lifted treble, while also being versatile, as I can only have one of these (C)IEMs at once. W900 remains a possible option, I think.

I'd recommend the H8.2, Aether, and W900 out of the ones I've personally auditioned. The Zeus's bass would fit your description of a coherent and continuous bass and midrange, and unintrusive treble, except its midrange would be more forwardly placed. I'd call the Zeus's bass quantity linear and natural, but of course, different people have different definitons of words like these.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,367 of 39,414
I personally wouldn't say Zeus non-ADEL lacks bass. It's not an exceptional bass, but it doesn't underperform either, in quantity or quality. I don't listen to it feel like I'm missing something. 5-Way's bass is very good in terms of audiophile tuning. Its tone, definition, bottom-end extension - all very good. High quality bass. But it's not something you listen to specifically for an impactful, pounding bass so to speak; like Dream, Vega, or even A18. It's just a very coherent bass within the signature. On a sidenote, I think the ES80 has the most technical BA bass I have heard. Neutral, but executed to perfection. I would have scored it 90-91 probably.

Or, commonly known as an 'L-shape' :D

Based on his directions, the shape would be a cliff; essentially, a straight line from the bass to the mids, and then an attenuated treble.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #4,369 of 39,414
It's not an exceptional bass, but it doesn't underperform either, in quantity or quality. I don't listen to it feel like I'm missing something. 5-Way's bass is very good in terms of audiophile tuning. Its tone, definition, bottom-end extension - all very good. High quality bass. But it's not something you listen to specifically for an impactful, pounding bass so to speak; like Dream, Vega, or even A18. It's just a very coherent bass within the signature...

From what I gather in your descriptions in the shootout the SE5U has more of a a rumble thanks to its better extension, I guess that's what I'm looking for, not necessarily a constant thumping bass. Perhaps the Dream might work? Will have to revisit the reviews!

Or, commonly known as an 'L-shape' :D

l0NwHXQy3kUSfFF60.gif

I'd recommend the H8.2, Aether, and W900 out of the ones I've personally auditioned. The Zeus's bass would fit your description of a coherent and continuous bass and midrange, and unintrusive treble, except its midrange would be more forwardly placed. I'd call the Zeus's bass quantity linear and natural, but of course, different people have different definitons of words like these.
Sounds like W900 keeps ticking boxes! Luckily I should have a demo from the tour relatively soon :ksc75smile:

Based on his directions, the shape would be a cliff; essentially, a straight line from the bass to the mids, and then an attenuated treble.

I was thinking this too, I don't want there to be a stark difference in bass-mid to treble balance, but basically if there is some part of the signature that must be attenuated, I'd have it be treble... I think.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #4,372 of 39,414
Yeah... That's not how hearing works though. That's just the physiological part of it, our brain than takes that huge amount of information and synthesis what it thinks is important...
Hearing can work in the strangest ways according to this article :thinking:
spongebob-mayo.gif

I'll admit I wasn't blown away right away, but after some more listening and a minor cable adaptation, these beauties are finding a way to my heart.
Now, if they only sound half as good as they look...then you'll be fine :wink:
giphy.gif

@Wyville S$2399 purchase: Avoided... for now :wink:
I'm so happy for you right now :grin:
tumblr_mr_krabs_money_ultimate_source_of_joy_spongebob.gif

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #4,373 of 39,414
Zeus's vocal strength interests me but it's apparent lack of bass also keeps me away... SE5U seems to excel at both so I keep getting drawn to it. Luckily A18 is not really in the pic as it's not only ridiculously expensive but it seems to have a brighter overall tuning than I'd like, as I get the impression it's more of a V-ish shape, though I do wish I had the Apex module as an option as I listen to music louder than many, it seems.

I guess I'm looking for an XXx shape (or an L, flipped horizontally, then rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise lol) that also excels at clarity without the lifted treble, while also being versatile, as I can only have one of these (C)IEMs at once. W900 remains a possible option, I think.
I'm auditioning the U18 right now and I am sensitive to treble. For me it's good and I could live with it. By the way, vocals on the Tia Forte are amazing, but it's so freaking expensive.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,374 of 39,414
I'm auditioning the U18 right now and I am sensitive to treble. For me it's good and I could live with it. By the way, vocals on the Tia Forte are amazing, but it's so freaking expensive.

Since you have both U18 and TIA Fourte side-by-side and you are sensitive to treble, how do you find Fourte? :wink:

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,376 of 39,414
The Fortes are slightly brighter, but not piercing like other stuff I've heard. I think I like the Fortes more than the U18s by the way. I only wish one had the option to change modules like the U18s. I'm curious to know which one you're enjoying more?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #4,378 of 39,414
Hmmm. I see the words thumping bass, smooth treble and L shaped. Why am I not seeing U12?
Lack of familiarity with them I guess, aside from knowing @PinkyPowers is a huge fan :) will look into them more again.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #4,379 of 39,414
Lack of familiarity with them I guess, aside from knowing @PinkyPowers is a huge fan :) will look into them more again.

I can't imagine a better L-Shaped IEM. It gives you so many of those sought-after technical traits, like soundstage, extension, and separation, but it's tuned for absolute warmth and musicality.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,380 of 39,414
Thanks!

Any comparisons between the U12 and SE5U, for those that might own/have heard both? Unless I'm wrong in thinking the SE5U also has a slight L tuning? My guess is the U12 is more bass-heavy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back