flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 17, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #35,866 of 39,414
Ok Alex, now you're just flexing 😎

I just mentioned to Jack it would be cool to sell it separately as an accessory. Btw, that was the only EVO "packaging" I received lol!!! The rest wasn't ready when they shipped EVO review sample, and I actually had to confirm with him that it will be included with EVO (and it is!).

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #35,867 of 39,414
No, the MHA200 cannot properly drive an Abyss AB 1266 Phi TC. It doesn't have enough power. And, the lowest output impedance is 32 ohms, so it cannot drive most IEMs. It can drive a IER-Z1R. However, this is a low end Headphone tube amp the size of a shoe box. But,, I am sure higher end McIntosh tube amps can do it.

There are plenty of tube amps that will drive the Abyss or Susvara. If you go TOTL tube amps, it's no problem at all. Ampsandsound Nautilus, Bigger Ben or Rockwell can easily provide enough power and it has the output impedance as low as 8 ohms which works best for Planar Magnetic headphones. There are plenty of others as well. Also, these tube amps can drive nearly all IEMs due to their 8 ohm taps. Only the most sensitive sub 8 ohm IEMs won't be great with it.
You are leaving of the WA5, it's what Abyss used to demo their headphones.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #35,868 of 39,414
I was thinking, preening, but flexing works asvwell😂

Watch your mouth, buddy! ... ah, never mind, just googled it :D As someone with english as not my first language, I might have to work this one into my next Oriolus review lol!!!

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #35,869 of 39,414
I think a 1:1 comparison between IEMs and headphones is almost impossible. Been there, done that, prefer IEMs (by some margin). But that's a debate we can engage in for hours on end without resolution, so let's just say preference comes into play too, not just portability.
Absolutely. IEMs and headphones are different. They provide different use cases. I use them both and I use them every day. You can easily build a collection of IEMs and headphones and have them all deliver something different to you. What you like is a subjective preference. If you need total isolation, need to go outside or cannot have anything on your head, IEMs is the way to go. But, it is not true that you cannot compare the sound quality of IEMs and Headphones. You can A/B test them like you can any 2 IEMs or headphones. I do it on a daily basis. You take a song like "Hotel California" and you listen to it on a Focal Utopia and then an Oriolus Traillii and give your impressions. It is literally that simple

It is true. Some people prefer IEMs. Some people prefer Headphones. Some people like both. It's like football. Some people like college football. It has school rivalries, marching bands, pageantry of bowl games. Student tailgates and walking to the stadium with the marching band. Others like pro football better with a full play off system and insanely high quality play. But, pro football players play the game better than college players. The same is true for headphones and IEMs. Headphones can outperform IEMs in nearly all attributes. The reason is physics. Just imagine two teams competing against each other. One team a team of the top IEM engineers in the world. The other team is the top full sized headphone team in the world. Give the best headphone in the world to an IEM team and the best IEM to the headphone team and ask them to come up with something that sounds better. The headphone team is going to win because they have a lot fewer design constraints and physical limitations.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #35,870 of 39,414
Absolutely. IEMs and headphones are different. They provide different use cases. I use them both and I use them every day. You can easily build a collection of IEMs and headphones and have them all deliver something different to you. What you like is a subjective preference. If you need total isolation, need to go outside or cannot have anything on your head, IEMs is the way to go. But, it is not true that you cannot compare the sound quality of IEMs and Headphones. You can A/B test them like you can any 2 IEMs or headphones. I do it on a daily basis. You take a song like "Hotel California" and you listen to it on a Focal Utopia and then an Oriolus Traillii and give your impressions. It is literally that simple

It is true. Some people prefer IEMs. Some people prefer Headphones. Some people like both. It's like football. Some people like college football. It has school rivalries, marching bands, pageantry of bowl games. Student tailgates and walking to the stadium with the marching band. Others like pro football better with a full play off system and insanely high quality play. But, pro football players play the game better than college players. The same is true for headphones and IEMs. Headphones can outperform IEMs in nearly all attributes. The reason is physics. Just imagine two teams competing against each other. One team a team of the top IEM engineers in the world. The other team is the top full sized headphone team in the world. Give the best headphone in the world to an IEM team and the best IEM to the headphone team and ask them to come up with something that sounds better. The headphone team is going to win because they have a lot fewer design constraints and physical limitations.
All of that holds true until you want to hear some proper high-pressure, impactful and heavy bass :p

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #35,871 of 39,414
Hey, folks! After a much-needed, month-long break from writing, I've just published a new review of FiR Audio's five-driver, $999 VxV up on THL. Though not the most hyped item at the moment by any means, I think it's a great, casual monitor with an easy, coasting tonality. And, it's one of the better options I've heard for a budding audiophile's first buy or - the more likely scenario on this thread - a veteran's casual sidepiece. FiR actually just announced a custom version for it as well, if that's your preference.

You can check out the full review via the link below, and I appreciate the support as always. Cheers! :)

FiR Audio VxV - Like Water

FiR-VxV-11-S.jpg

P.S. Something that is fairly hyped right now is the VxV's recently-announced direct competitor. Look out for early impressions of this guy very, very soon. :wink:

64A-Duo-Tease-S.jpg

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #35,872 of 39,414
What are you using instead? I wrapped mine around this maybe twice at first but it has sat unused in the case since!
I use another van nuys case that is slightly bigger and that has a little loop at the bottom of the pocket so the earphones don’t fall out. I find it to be more functional and protective.

7B305C5D-A815-4A72-9F91-9A7A6B62A3E9.jpeg

74A3EF61-DBE6-491C-88D6-1BFA1C077BC2.jpeg

6A6E6607-B993-43DC-ACFB-6259DA6D7271.jpeg

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #35,873 of 39,414
Well so far MAD24 is still my go to IEM.
Tried the Traillii, sold it.
Tried IE900, will sell it.
And a big bunch of other things.

It's just a love story. So technical and musical, best BA bass heard, moist low mids, clear mids and high mids, extended treble. Never shouty. Sounds so natural...

Great job there and certainly highly underrated.
do they make universal or just custom iem

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #35,874 of 39,414
Anyone pairing Traillii with N6ii Ti? @twister6 - I think you might? Curious on the synergy, looking like my likely DAP upgrade...

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #35,875 of 39,414
Anyone pairing Traillii with N6ii Ti? @twister6 - I think you might? Curious on the synergy, looking like my likely DAP upgrade...

I personally loved it from the short term I had them together before I sold the first 🐦 for the custom Traillii. It was my favorite combination. I know some people find it bright though but for me it was just so effortless and natural in its presentation.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #35,876 of 39,414
I liked the synergy when I had the Ti. But as much as I liked the sound, after owning the DX300 I did not want to compromise on speed of the OS anymore. I'll hop back on the R2R DAP train when a faster device gets released.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #35,877 of 39,414
I personally loved it from the short term I had them together before I sold the first 🐦 for the custom Traillii. It was my favorite combination. I know some people find it bright though but for me it was just so effortless and natural in its presentation.

The bright bit concerns me somewhat as I'm coming from what would be considered somewhat warm DAPs, certainly my preferred custom tuning on the 1A and ZX507 is by default warm. That said, I don't see an issue in injecting a bit of brightness to Traillii at least, also MEST MKII - not so much IE900.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #35,878 of 39,414
The bright bit concerns me somewhat as I'm coming from what would be considered somewhat warm DAPs, certainly my preferred custom tuning on the 1A and ZX507 is by default warm. That said, I don't see an issue in injecting a bit of brightness to Traillii at least, also MEST MKII - not so much IE900.
Fwiw, I am getting more comfortable with brightness in general due to the non fatiguing and lifelike delivery on the Cayin R01. I came directly from Shanling M8.

I seemed to need warmth previously due to the harsh nature of digital file reproduction in general, but now I am welcoming it back with open arms. I can even deal with Noir's peaks on it... mostly.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #35,879 of 39,414
Fwiw, I am getting more comfortable with brightness in general due to the non fatiguing and lifelike delivery on the Cayin R01. I came directly from Shanling M8.

I seemed to need warmth previously due to the harsh nature of digital file reproduction in general, but now I am welcoming it back with open arms. I can even deal with Noir's peaks on it... mostly.

I see you have MEST MKII also - do you find N6ii better with that then with the M8? I know from @Xinlisupreme that LPGT for example has better synergy with MEST MKII vs M8.

@MatW - speed of OS and overall UI definitely a consideration for me. Aside from boot up, the Sony is fast and I love the simple UI.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #35,880 of 39,414

Don't have Ti, but N6ii w/R01 and Traillii is a great pair up, covered it in details, along with other pair ups in my R01 review here. Also keep in mind, Hiby RS6 (integrates discrete R-2R dac) is around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back