flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #34,336 of 39,414
That's a good question and I believe you can get some feedback from all those guys measuring a bunch of IEMs like @crinacle or @Banbeucmas . They probably experienced this
On paper, that's hardly ever happening if you keep your methodology consistent.
A rare situation might be something like measuring the Sony WF1000-XM4 which alter the frequency response upon reaching a certain volume
https://twitter.com/BanbeuHobby/status/1409117912808394755?s=19

Acoustically, listening volume can affect how you perceive sound. You can look up the Munson Fletcher curve (Equal Loudness contour) for more info.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #34,337 of 39,414
I’m sure I’ve been guilty of that myself in the past. My definition of neutral and/or natural has changed massively over time, for example. But, yeah, the full bass, clear mids, smooth highs three-pronged attack is the absolute worst of them all. :D
I've definitely been guilty of that in the past, which is why I sheepishly recognise it when I read it. Nowadays I go to great lengths to make sure I provide as much context as possible, even though I'm aware many readers won't share my preferences, music taste or listening volume.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #34,338 of 39,414
I use a graphene-coated SPC. It's a great IEM for sure - I use mine most days
since you are a cable maker , how come you haven't paired it with something 1960s like ?

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #34,339 of 39,414
since you are a cable maker , how come you haven't paired it with something 1960s like ?
Will let DJ answer on that specific pairing question, but I will say that the Khanyayo graphene SPC is an awesome cable. In terms of sonics and ergonomics. Very refined, natural, slightly laid back. Quite a different sound to the 1960's (especially 4W) that can be a little more forward on both extremes. Good example is something like the Noir, where the SPC worked a treat, and the 60s 4W was a little too much of a good thing.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #34,340 of 39,414
Back before I started writing myself, that last bit you said was one of my hugest pet peeves when reading reviews. I personally think a review fails when the IEM becomes interchangeable; when you can swap it out for any other, because of how vaguely it’s been described.

I’m sure I’ve been guilty of that myself in the past. My definition of neutral and/or natural has changed massively over time, for example. But, yeah, the full bass, clear mids, smooth highs three-pronged attack is the absolute worst of them all. :D
Some years ago there was a brilliant speaker designer named Richard Shahinian, who also had encyclopedic knowlsdge of classical music. he was a 'larger than l;ife' figure, and demo'd at CES year after year. He has since ppassed away, and his son Vasken is now running the 'family' company . I am glad to know/have known the Shahinians, both the speakers and the humans. I bring this up, because Richard used to snail mail a printed newsletter, and in one specific issue, he lamented that he could not really describe the sound of his speakers, 'as all the words had already been used up by others'.

Great minds.......

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #34,341 of 39,414
@ranfan, thanks for the like. Sorry it was a cryptic message, I was trying to catch WyWy before he cleared out his desk and left the office. Anyways, farewell and good luck @Wyville.

@ranfan , Vin Deezel

/r/HolUp, let me get this straight so this Nic is now a Member of the Trade here?

thl.png

I got a new SilverFi cable that WyWy knew about years ago, but I guess I just missed him by a few days:

Forgive quality of photo, it was during development.

r4_1.png

I also found a new Apple UI with a mini-LED screen for my pocket-able transportable digital source (left one):

Phone.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #34,342 of 39,414
@ranfan, thanks for the like. Sorry it was a cryptic message, I was trying to catch WyWy before he cleared out his desk and left the office. Anyways, farewell and good luck @Wyville.

@ranfan , Vin Deezel

/r/HolUp, let me get this straight so this Nic is now a Member of the Trade here?

thl.png

I got a new SilverFi cable that WyWy knew about years ago, but I guess I just missed him by a few days:

r4_1.png

I also found a new Apple UI with a mini-LED screen for my pocket-able transportable digital source (left one):

Phone.jpg
Nic is currently working for Effect Audio, which is why it says Member of the Trade.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #34,343 of 39,414

@ranfan , Vin Deezel

thl.png

r4_1.png

Phone.jpg
Hey buddy, even with the new name I can guess who's behind it. 😉 How have you been? I am still lurking around a little bit, although mostly just replying to PMs.

Yeah, Nic is managing the official Effect Audio account here on Head-fi, which is why he had to register as a Member of the Trade. It is just to help him pay for the penthouse suite he recently bought in Amsterdam. 😜🤣

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #34,346 of 39,414
I've been working on a FPGA transportable and desktop digital source as a "COVID project". Mainly clock-rolling. I plan to upgrade to weapons/satellite - grade clocks next year as audiophile clocks are just soso. Any London homesickness or you fully adjusted? Reverse culture shock?

Anyways, one final audio talk. I don't plan to stick around either. Maybe for a week. Maybe back next summer. As you know I H8 DAPs and OEM cables. I also H8 Android and iOS for audio. There just convenient. I'm just old school since I was one of the first 25 to purchase the very first CIEM on this site years ago so I'm pretty stubborn and picky on SQ. Thanks for your tolerance on my audio quirkeness and confidentiality over the years.

I subscribe to the Model View Controller when it comes to audio:
1024px-MVC-Process.svg.png

I believe things like screens which emit RFI should be kept far away from audio components, etc. There should be separation which is impossible with AIO units.

These days, I exclusively use a low latency realtime kernel Arch Linux OS with Summit-Fi audio software. It can probably run 8-10TB of storage without a sweat, but 1TB is the current bottleneck these days.

This has allowed me to get my transportable to a pro audio level on the Hugo2 since Chord DACs scale with source. Source is almost as important as the DAC. I also combine this with clocks. With clocks, I get soundstage expansion, precise imaging, PrAT, musicality, layering of bass and air out of the Hugo2. I get extremely tight transparent layered audiophile pro bass which is not possibile without a low latency realtime rig. So extremely happy how things worked out for this "COVID" project. It's like having a pro studio on the go. This direct streamer can probably compete with $7500 desktop commercial streamers.

clock.png

As you can see below (photo) on the Jitter / Clock line of Premium DAPs, they all use clocks. To me, clocks are like a composer/conducter and the DAC is the orchestra. Without clocks, the orchestra is all over the place. So this setup is sort of like a hybrid DAP in a way.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hi-res-daps-comparison-chart-2021.958619/

dap_comparison_2021-07-03-4_High-end_4K.png

front.png

power.jpg

I'm hoping to cut the size by 40% once new tech is released next year. Another very important detail is the power source. I'm using a good size juicy battery from the same battery manufacturer as Tesla. These are not normal batteries. These batteries allow Teslas quick accelaration and uphill climbing ability with dynamic power. So these batteries have low ESR (impedance) which allow quick fast dynamic power that is needed to extend for dynamic music. One of these small batteries is better than any LPS out there. I'm also running directly from the battery with solid core silver wiring. No battery holders or other bottlenecks.

I'm hoping to replicate and figure out a way to run a low latency realtime kernel with the upcoming Mojo2 or with USB DAC dongles as that is the trend, but that is a project for another time.

It's pocketable with loose shorts, but I'm hoping to slim down some more. About the size of a GoPro.

side.png

For the IR Remote, Up_Click = Next Track, Up_Hold = Main1 Playlist, Down_Click = Previous Track, Down_Hold = Main2 Playlist, A/V_Click = Play/Pause, A/V_Hold = Random playlist, Power = PWR. It's amazing to feel actual buttons instead of pressing a screen.

Hotspot is also setup for iPhone App remote control via iPeng.
Nice project! Way beyond my own skills though. 😅

Just glad to be out of London and have a much slower pace of life. I guess that’s why this hobby slowed down as well, no need for me to isolate myself from all the noise. Now I am much more aware of what‘s around me and that’s inspiring me to focus more on photography.

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #34,348 of 39,414
Jul 29, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #34,349 of 39,414
A masterpiece of review! I especially enjoy the detailed coverage of R2R and other technical background info. You apparently know the dap and the tech much better than I do!!!
Completely agree! +1

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #34,350 of 39,414
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back