flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #32,281 of 39,414
Nice. I listen to a lot of classical music. So, I know what you mean about feeling the music. I just got the Utopia and these full sized headphones provide a similar type of experience. It has such great transient attack that the punch and slam of these headphones comes out with every track at all volume levels. Glad to hear that the FS provides this type of experience. That didn't come out in prior reviews.

Please do a detailed side-by-side review. We need to know where this fits into the IEM map.
Note, it provides an experience beyond Utopia, Susvara etc for the genres I mentioned. Utopia can not compare. Regarding the map, it’s not on the same map. Mason FS represents a new map for iems of the future. I believe Traillii is the ‘X marks the spot’ for ‘traditional Hifi’ iems, where we enjoy all sorts of music.

Mason FS has the ability to bring certain instruments and vocals to life, I’ve never experienced this before. There may be more genres I’m missing, will need to use FS more to find out.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #32,282 of 39,414
Note, it provides an experience beyond Utopia, Susvara etc for the genres I mentioned. Utopia can not compare. Regarding the map, it’s not on the same map. Mason FS represents a new map for iems of the future. I believe Traillii is the ‘X marks the spot’ for ‘traditional Hifi’ iems, where we enjoy all sorts of music.

Mason FS has the ability to bring certain instruments and vocals to life, I’ve never experienced this before. There may be more genres I’m missing, will need to use FS more to find out.
Nice. I guess I have to experience it to fully understand it.

Jun 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #32,283 of 39,414

This is also my opinion, which has been cemented after spending more time with FS.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #32,284 of 39,414
This is also my opinion, which has been cemented after spending more time with FS.
You guys are killing me. You realize that you just ratched up the audiophile arms race, don't you?

The review I was hoping from from @bigbeans was. I just got the UM Mason FS and I want to report that "it sucks."

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #32,285 of 39,414
You guys are killing me. You realize that you just ratched up the audiophile arms race, don't you?

The review I was hoping from from @bigbeans was. I just got the UM Mason FS and I want to report that "it sucks."
Just started listening it does not suck that’s for sure.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #32,286 of 39,414

Haha my apologies :smile:, it was a risky move but after 5 hours of listening (well after the first 5 minutes tbh) it was fairly clear. I really think the FS represents as much of a paradigm shift as the Traillii did, perhaps even more so. It's funny we use the term 'end game' but after using a Bone Conduction set like FS, I can't go back to anything else other than a Traillii. If Traillii is end game, FS is 'new game'.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #32,287 of 39,414
Haha my apologies :smile:, it was a risky move but after 5 hours of listening (well after the first 5 minutes tbh) it was fairly clear. I really think the FS represents as much of a paradigm shift as the Traillii did, perhaps even more so. It's funny we use the term 'end game' but after using a Bone Conduction set like FS, I can't go back to anything else other than a Traillii. If Traillii is end game, FS is 'new game'.
I'm planning to go to the US Open in September. I am thinking about taking a trip to see Andrew and listening to the FS along with other toys.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #32,288 of 39,414
New Game+ with carry over bonuses?

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #32,289 of 39,414
Update on Mason Fabled Sound
I'm starting to understand why Unique Melody priced it where they did (I'm speaking about FS Special Edition). Setting the sound aside for a moment, the included accessories and cable are already better than Trailli's set. Attila is a cable I see myself keeping and not switching out. The larger Van Nuys Case that Musicteck includes (as a gift) is more practical as well, you can include a DAP and 2 iems of your choice in this one case. I should note the FS looks much better in person than the pictures.

Regarding the sound, I'm only on Day 2 with this so I will save commentary on the sonic evaluations for my First Impressions post. I was planning on doing a full review on this, however I think given what I'm hearing with FS, it may be better to build upon the existing plethora of Traillii reviews to help folks understand what FS is going for. Perhaps in 1-2 weeks I will post a more extensive write up. I will only note this. Mason FS is altering my taste in music, it's altering how I connect with music on the go. Before FS I was listening to music, now I'm feeling it. I can see why someone sold Traillii for FS and why another sold FS after a couple of weeks with it. With certain genres (solo strings, piano, vocals) FS is doing something I've only experienced with speakers, that sense of tactility. The difference between hearing a violin and feeling vibration of the strings. Funnily enough, these are genres I reserve speakers for. I think FS doesn't just outperform Traillii with these genres, but it's also outperforming Utopia, Susvara or anything without Bone Conduction. I will need to listen to FS more to describe this better.

Comment on pricing. I don't know a single friend in the hobby that has paid retail for Susvara, Utopia, Empyrean, Mason FS, Traillii etc... Pricing in this hobby is generally a codpiece statement, it's rare MSRP represents cash out the door. Unique Melody is making a statement with this pricing, that they have delivered something completely unique and valuable. I don't think they're wrong...and making a more affordable model with FuSang only helps their case.

"feeling the music" is probably the main reason i've held onto the erlky. the physical engagement it provides with orchestral music and vocals is fantastic and not something i've heard replicated on any other iem.

I expect (hope?) fs has a similar sound to erlkonig...with better-textured bass and better staging. though, i have already heard one opinion that the erlky is preferable to the fs from someone who has owned (and sold) both. now he just listens to the bird everyday ; )

at the end of the day i trust my own ears to make decisions, so an fs demo will be here shortly. not expecting it to touch the bird, but would love to be pleasantly surprised. and curious to try bone conduction for the first time. the fact that um decided to price fs alongside the bird, it better be good, otherwise...

also picking up an og fourte to revisit tomorrow, should be fun.

thanks for sharing your thoughts, @bigbeans.

and, "new game..." love it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #32,290 of 39,414
"feeling the music" is probably the main reason i've held onto the erlky. the physical engagement it provides with orchestral music and vocals is fantastic and not something i've heard replicated on any other iem.

I expect (hope?) fs has a similar sound to erlkonig...with better-textured bass and better staging. though, i have already heard one opinion that the erlky is preferable to the fs from someone who has owned (and sold) both. now he just listens to the bird everyday ; )

at the end of the day i trust my own ears to make decisions, so an fs demo will be here shortly. not expecting it to touch the bird, but would love to be pleasantly surprised. and curious to try bone conduction for the first time. the fact that um decided to price fs alongside the bird, it better be good, otherwise...

also picking up an og fourte to revisit tomorrow, should be fun.

thanks for sharing your thoughts, @bigbeans.

and, "new game..." love it.
Cheers! Regarding the price, the Fusang is available at $4500 for those seeking a more affordable option. It comes with cheaper cable and different materials but the same exact tech. Perhaps Oriolus could respond by offering Traillii with a cheaper cable and lowering the price to Fusang's $4500 mark. But I doubt this will happen.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #32,291 of 39,414
Would love to do a FS vs. Fusang comparison one day. Judging from the differences between them (only shell and cable), I would expect them to be very very close to each other in terms of performance.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #32,292 of 39,414
...on the contrary, still waiting for that bird increase to hit. to me the bird is truly next-level and I think it justifies its price.

it was very bold of um (imo) to price fs similarly...unless it's got the sonic chops to back it up.

of course, we all lose [more money] here with these stratospherically-priced iems...so I hope every other $6k iem i ever listen to sounds like complete crap.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #32,293 of 39,414
To me the bird is truly next-level and I think it justifies its price.
Come on, honestly, nothing justifies thoose prices. Both TOTL IEM or cables are just selling insanely high for what it is.
But as long as we, crazy head-fiers, will continue to spend the money and by doing so support the increase, it will never stop.
Never ending story...

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #32,294 of 39,414
For sure it does.
Only IEM I've heard that have a similar sense of air and soundstage is Rhapsodio Infinity MK2. And look at the curve :wink:
Nooo, don't say that! I literally just dropped off the Infinity MK2 to ship to its new owner. :head_bandage: :weary: I'm going to miss it.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #32,295 of 39,414
Just shipped off the Rhapsodio Infinity MK2 to its new owner and have EE Odin listed for sale; is it bad that part of me feels a little incomplete without a TOTL/Summit-fi IEM in my lineup? :thinking::thermometer_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back