flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #31,666 of 39,419
The last 20 pages should have happened on the Birb thread. It's a sea of "ignored posts" when I open this thread.
that's hilarious!

...wait a minute...

May 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #31,667 of 39,419
'Probably the last post on it for me, but I think it does what I described FiR Audio's VxV as doing on my upcoming review of it. It just coasts with the music, rather than stomp its authority over it or audibly - actively - try to portray it. It's not a quality I easily relate to in IEMs, but it's one I've often found with master musicians or well-made records.

I must reiterate that the VxV isn't a mini-Trailli either. I mean, I can't say for sure having not heard the bird, but I'm willing to bet it isn't. :D I mean it more tonality-wise on that IEM. On the Trailli, it looks like it does it technically too; like an overlord looking over the music it's already, tidily made, rather than an arranger trying to put it together on the spot. I realise, writing this, how ridiculous it is; talking about an IEM I've never heard. But, to bring it back 'round to IEMs as a whole, I think that quality of effortlessness is one that isn't talked about enough. Again, I've heard it more among musicians and engineers than enthusiasts or audiophiles. But, I think it's an underlying quality that subconsciously tells us whether something is quality or not; the ability to not only do something correctly, but to make it look easy too.

Anyways, 'rambling. I just mixed and mastered 8 Sunday School recordings in a row for the Pentecost, so I'm a bit loopy. 'Lotoo PAW 6000 review coming tomorrow, and I may or may not have a review coming every Friday for the next several weeks. Cheers. :wink:
I heard the VxV and I liked it, it is not at bird level to my ears, any chance you can hear the Traillii, a comparison from someone with better hearing than my 57 year old ears could help.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #31,668 of 39,419
'Probably the last post on it for me, but I think it does what I described FiR Audio's VxV as doing on my upcoming review of it. It just coasts with the music, rather than stomp its authority over it or audibly - actively - try to portray it. It's not a quality I easily relate to in IEMs, but it's one I've often found with master musicians or well-made records.

I must reiterate that the VxV isn't a mini-Trailli either. I mean, I can't say for sure having not heard the bird, but I'm willing to bet it isn't. :D I mean it more tonality-wise on that IEM. On the Trailli, it looks like it does it technically too; like an overlord looking over the music it's already, tidily made, rather than an arranger trying to put it together on the spot. I realise, writing this, how ridiculous it is; talking about an IEM I've never heard. But, to bring it back 'round to IEMs as a whole, I think that quality of effortlessness is one that isn't talked about enough. Again, I've heard it more among musicians and engineers than enthusiasts or audiophiles. But, I think it's an underlying quality that subconsciously tells us whether something is quality or not; the ability to not only do something correctly, but to make it look easy too.

Anyways, 'rambling. I just mixed and mastered 8 Sunday School recordings in a row for the Pentecost, so I'm a bit loopy. 'Lotoo PAW 6000 review coming tomorrow, and I may or may not have a review coming every Friday for the next several weeks. Cheers. :wink:
agree...like the magic in seeing an olympian's gold medal performance unfold before you. there is a magic to effortlessness, when suddenly you're no longer critiquing, only absorbing.

yes, that's enough bird talk in the general thread /

:heart:

May 13, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #31,669 of 39,419
May 13, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #31,670 of 39,419
I heard the VxV and I liked it, it is not at bird level to my ears, any chance you can hear the Traillii, a comparison from someone with better hearing than my 57 year old ears could help.

62 here, but enjoying some of the fruits of life following you guys …

May 13, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #31,671 of 39,419
IE900... this is what I’m interested in a lot right now. The debate I’ve had for a while is whether to get HD800S or not. Now IE900 has come on the scene.

May 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #31,672 of 39,419
IE900... this is what I’m interested in a lot right now. The debate I’ve had for a while is whether to get HD800S or not. Now IE900 has come on the scene.

IE900 and Jolene are the two IEMs in my budget I'm most interested in hearing right now.

May 13, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #31,674 of 39,419
For fellows who got tired of the bird discussion, I have a pic of SK + Iliad!

8BCAB2F2-2F53-445E-A4F8-D12026D7D14E.jpeg

May 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #31,675 of 39,419
May 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #31,676 of 39,419
Mine should be delivered tomorrow!! Loads of hype for that one
Absolutely the most beautiful IEM I have owned to date. A shame that the stock Oslo cable is such a mess. But, Iliad is really pairing well here!!

May 13, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #31,677 of 39,419
I regret popping into this thread and reading such praise for Traillii - In January, I couldn't believe I spent $699 on the DUNU ZEN, seemed like a huge spend on earphones (max before that was around $300)... fast forward 4 months and I dropped $1,499 on the MEST MKII, and now I'm wondering what 'best' sounds like - its crazy how you pass those $$$ psychological barriers.

May 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #31,678 of 39,419
For fellows who got tired of the bird discussion, I have a pic of SK + Iliad!

8BCAB2F2-2F53-445E-A4F8-D12026D7D14E.jpeg
beautiful gear.

love the gold accents picked up in the faceplate and the cable hardware.

May 13, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #31,679 of 39,419
I regret popping into this thread and reading such praise for Traillii - In January, I couldn't believe I spent $699 on the DUNU ZEN, seemed like a huge spend on earphones (max before that was around $300)... fast forward 4 months and I dropped $1,499 on the MEST MKII, and now I'm wondering what 'best' sounds like - its crazy how you pass those $$$ psychological barriers.
Now spare a thought for me - my Z5s breaking in February has lead to an utter spiralling out of control...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back