flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 30, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #2,926 of 39,414
Hello everybody, thank you for all the wonderful comments and likes. It provides me with motivation to go on and complete this thing, even though I have become a little bit tired of writing after all these weeks :)

And also for all the people that have contributed so far in whatever way to make this a fun thread to read. Please know it is deeply appreciated, as I can't do it by myself. Bordering on 200 pages now, and some of those actually discussing iems!
Amazing, the guy gets tired of writing the shootout reviews and then happily keeps piling on a number of extra reviews for good measure! :hushed: Great work Nic! And just four more on the shootout and you will have achieved something amazing. Reviewing Royalty you are! :wink:

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,929 of 39,414
There seems to be a general trend of manufacturers making it more difficult for us, rather than easier :D
It's really interesting because from your description the EM10 sound like they provide almost exactly the type of signature I had worked out last year as being the right balance between engaging, smooth and technically capable. A type of signature that draws the listener into the music and makes them forget about analysing the technical aspects and simply directs attention toward the music itself.

It is interesting to see that while I try to learn more about signatures and technical performance, there are companies like EarSonics that appear to (for different reasons) explore how to draw the listener into the music and really experience it.

Lately I've been leaning towards realism as the key to drawing in the listener. Would you say that based on hearing the EM10 that might not necessarily be the case? I guess people like Franck Lopez are the ones with the most insight into what makes a signature and presentation immersive and enjoyable. Fascinating stuff!

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #2,930 of 39,414
It's really interesting because from your description the EM10 sound like they provide almost exactly the type of signature I had worked out last year as being the right balance between engaging, smooth and technically capable. A type of signature that draws the listener into the music and makes them forget about analysing the technical aspects and simply directs attention toward the music itself.

It is interesting to see that while I try to learn more about signatures and technical performance, there are companies like EarSonics that appear to (for different reasons) explore how to draw the listener into the music and really experience it.

Lately I've been leaning towards realism as the key to drawing in the listener. Would you say that based on hearing the EM10 that might not necessarily be the case? I guess people like Franck Lopez are the ones with the most insight into what makes a signature and presentation immersive and enjoyable. Fascinating stuff!
EarSonics has always tuned for musicality by combining enhanced bass with great technical performance. Within that framework, they switched a year or two ago from warm, thick tunings to more 'exciting' U-shaped signatures. The EM10 is a pretty big break from their previous models. Technical performance is not on the foreground anymore; the separation, imaging, and resolution. It's not bad per se, but the image is not ultra clean so to speak. But the sound is really very beautiful, as well as smooth. So as much as I love high resolved, clean sounds like the ES80, Samba, A18 etc., the EM10 is becoming a personal favourite of mine. High performance sounds great; but simply good sound, well, also sounds great. I think the EM10's tone is something very special.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,931 of 39,414
EarSonics has always tuned for musicality by combining enhanced bass with great technical performance. Within that framework, they switched a year or two ago from warm, thick tunings to more 'exciting' U-shaped signatures. The EM10 is a pretty big break from their previous models. Technical performance is not on the foreground anymore; the separation, imaging, and resolution. It's not bad per se, but the image is not ultra clean so to speak. But the sound is really very beautiful, as well as smooth. So as much as I love high resolved, clean sounds like the ES80, Samba, A18 etc., the EM10 is becoming a personal favourite of mine. High performance sounds great; but simply good sound, well, also sounds great. I think the EM10's tone is something very special.
I find this fascinating, but as you know I also look at it from a scientific perspective. I sense that there is something there that I haven't quite cracked yet. At some point I will and be able to explain it more clearly. :nerd:

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,932 of 39,414

"...or 80’s hits any true audiophile will never admit they listen to."

lol :D

I do turn to my Greatest Of Pat Benatar more often than I'd like to admit. :cold_sweat:

Much of how you describe the EM10 is how I hear the U12. If they are indeed alike, I fully understand why it calls to you so. :thumbsup:

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,933 of 39,414
I totally agree with your test flinkenick.
I have owned and listened to a lot of iems (Zeus XIV , Zeus R, Arthur, Oriolus, All the Campfire audio line up, Shure kse ,......) but none has given me so much pleasure.
When I use them I forget all critical thinking. I just listen to my music and I appreciate it greatly.
I tried many styles of music (folk, alternative, electro, jazz , blues ,....) and the EM10 has all restored them brilliantly.
What a restitution of music.

The voice of James Brown , Johnny Cash (live at Folsom prison) is fantastic.
Whaou i am amazed.

With the Em10 you just listen the music (your forget the rest).
Great job from Earsonics

And I could ompare the em10 with my next ciem (the Prelude).

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,934 of 39,414
i also expect many people going for prelude in the next weeks

being top-4 in nic's shootout , this is definitely the overachiever of all ciems taking part

curious where this cinderella story will end

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,935 of 39,414
I am in contact with Hasan since the end of may.
I want to publish a review in a french audio website.
So it was before the nic's top4.

But yes I think there will be many orders.
I could tell you in few weeks.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,936 of 39,414
Am I the only one to think that prices on the flagships are ridiculous and out of control.
Can see the $1,000 mark, but anything over it is just pure greed.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,938 of 39,414
And yet almost everyone has no problem paying for it:ksc75smile:

Not sure about that. Reason why many of these companies have big sales a few times a year. They need to clear out stock that's not selling.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,939 of 39,414
i also expect many people going for prelude in the next weeks

being top-4 in nic's shootout , this is definitely the overachiever of all ciems taking part

curious where this cinderella story will end

It will end with all of us buying a pair :D

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,940 of 39,414
It will end with all of us buying a pair :D
We could do a mass order with a special "flinkenick's 2017 shootout "-design and exclusive cable! Sold in a limited edition, approved and signed by Nic himself! :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back