flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 10, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #28,816 of 39,414
I would say it's not so black and white as that. If you go onto the UM MEST thread, the UM rep there has always been very responsive to feedback from Head-Fi members.
I've talked quite a bit with him myself. They're more used to producing stuff for the Asian market and less familiar with the preferences of the Western audiophile.

As such, I think they've received quite a bit of feedback here regarding the MEST (including from myself), and have decided to produce a modified version in response to that feedback.
They were talking about this just a month or two after the initial release, but of course would not want to do that so soon and upset existing customers, and also, having some idea about how they do things, they would have undertaken a lengthy R&D process to arrive at the present Mk II version I would guess.

There's been a decent gap between their flagship models too I think? Anyway, just wanted to kind of present another side to the discussion; we all have our views and it's good to hear them all :)
Thanks for your answer. With all its success, I wasn‘t aware that the MEST would be made for the Asian market in focus only.

Do you know what will be changed in the MKII version?

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #28,817 of 39,414
You're welcome, and thank you for taking my answer in the constructive spirit it was intended :)
I don't know exactly what's changed yet; will chat with the rep when I get a moment and ask.

But based on previous chats, one thing that springs to mind would be to add a bit more body and richness to the mids.
However, do wait for official announcements, as I wouldn't want to mislead anyone with my speculation :)

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #28,818 of 39,414
Meanwhile (back at the ranch), the almost creepily psychic powers of the Google advertising algorithm strikes again.
Note the advert below that popped up whilst I was busy typing my reply to our dialogue regarding the UM MEST Mk II :astonished: :sweat_smile:
Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 12.11.42.png

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #28,819 of 39,414
Man, I gotta hear it still lol

It looked quite small too. I wonder how they'd look in my ears... Would they just disappear? LMAO

On another note...

Looks like there's a new MEST in town...

EwF3_IYUYAI0d2L.jpeg

"New re-tuned, redesigned UM MEST MK2" - Via Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews' Twitter.

I hope you get a chance to hear the Atlas. It was my first TOTL love and it had a raw bombastic fun-ness about it that really hasn't been matched by anything I've had since. It's not perfect but it's great at what it sets out to do-- and it's got that single DD coherence that's hard to beat.

RE MEST MK2...what?? What did they change about it? Anything beyond improving the texture and placement of the mid-range might not be a good idea imho...it was quite good as was.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #28,821 of 39,414
I hope you get a chance to hear the Atlas. It was my first TOTL love and it had a raw bombastic fun-ness about it that really hasn't been matched by anything I've had since. It's not perfect but it's great at what it sets out to do-- and it's got that single DD coherence that's hard to beat.

RE MEST MK2...what?? What did they change about it? Anything beyond improving the texture and placement of the mid-range might not be a good idea imho...it was quite good as was.
Yeah, there’s just something about single DD IEMs that I adore. So both the S.K and Atlas(or maybe the Equinox) may find their way to me soon 😂

I haven’t read anything about how it sounds yet. But most likely it’ll be based on user feedback from the western side of things. @Layman1 explained it a bit earlier. But UM was very active with getting user’s feedback about what they could improve on the MEST to cater more to the Western taste. MEST JP catered to the Japanese audiophiles since they know the Japanese taste well as it’s one of their biggest if not their biggest market. Then they finally released a HK version not too long after.
So I guess, this MKII would cater more to those feedback? It seems to have the HK shell shape but with the flush 2 pin setting instead of the recessed ones. (Honestly I prefer the recessed ones from the JP and HK versions for added durability)

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #28,822 of 39,414
Yeah, there’s just something about single DD IEMs that I adore.

Same...I'm hoping to try the Vega 2020 and I'm perilously close to taking advantage of @MusicTeck 's killer sale on the Dunu Luna this week.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #28,823 of 39,414
Same...I'm hoping to try the Vega 2020 and I'm perilously close to taking advantage of @MusicTeck 's killer sale on the Dunu Luna this week.
I miss the Luna so much man!

I’m trying to get DUNU to send me one as a companion to the ZEN for the 2nd round of the Canadian tour.

@SBranson mentioned you might be interested in the ZEN tour?

I’m the one organizing it for DUNU so just hit me a PM and I’ll put you in the 2nd round as well.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #28,824 of 39,414
I miss the Luna so much man!

I’m trying to get DUNU to send me one as a companion to the ZEN for the 2nd round of the Canadian tour.

@SBranson mentioned you might be interested in the ZEN tour?

I’m the one organizing it for DUNU so just hit me a PM and I’ll put you in the 2nd round as well.

Is there a Luna tour?

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #28,825 of 39,414
Is there a Luna tour?
There was one last year.
I was the first one to get the unit for the Canadian segment actually 😂 I got lucky.

Right now it’s just for ZEN. It’s a more balanced approach compared to the more unique sounding Luna.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #28,827 of 39,414
enjoy, bud.

:bird:

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #28,828 of 39,414
Mar 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #28,829 of 39,414
The bird is really flying high now 😂
So far only fans. The criticism seems to come from people that never heard it. Only real issue is cable microphonics, too bad because other than that the cable is terrific. I am thinking of using the 1960 cable on my Ely since I use that one at night and not moving around, and using the Code 51 on the bird to solve it and not have to throw more money at it. Some good listeners are soon to get theirs so we will see if the trend of appreciation continues.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #28,830 of 39,414
So far only fans. The criticism seems to come from people that never heard it. Only real issue is cable microphonics, too bad because other than that the cable is terrific. I am thinking of using the 1960 cable on my Ely since I use that one at night and not moving around, and using the Code 51 on the bird to solve it and not have to throw more money at it. Some good listeners are soon to get theirs so we will see if the trend of appreciation continues.
I can’t judge anything until I listen to them first. But so far it seems to be pretty positive to all that have listened to them.

So I’m pretty stoked to hopefully get to try them someday.

I’m actually a fan of the 1960. I own fhe 2 wire stormbreaker.
I never had issues with micro phonics tho. I’m not sure how different the 4 wire would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back