flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #28,741 of 39,414
Soo.. I have pulled the trigger (metaphorically speaking, rather than Bohemian Rhapsody style) and a - slightly used - EE Odin Founder's Edition is on its way to me as we speak, hurrah! :D

Even by the lofty standards of this thread, this might have been slightly noteworthy news some 3+ months ago, before the Trailii started doing the rounds.. Oh well.. :laughing:

I had planned to demo it at Harrods, but missed my chance before the next lockdown occurred.
I really don't know if I will like it or not.
Funnily enough, in Deezel177's recent review, you know how he does that helpful list of "3 things that would make this a good IEM for your tastes", along with "3 things that might make this a less suitable choice for your tastes"?
I ticked all of the *bottom* 3 paragraphs, and only one of the top 3 paragraphs.. Hmm... :joy:

I really do generally prefer a meaty, full bodied, warm and smooth signature.
Although I also absolutely love a huge and holographic soundstage and terrific technical performance too.
So my ideal would be an IEM that could do both, assuming that's not too contradictory :D

And yet, and yet.. I just want to see those faceplates and hear it for myself. That summit-fi goodness :D
I am thinking that perhaps it might be a complement to other IEMs I have, like the Solaris 2020 and EE Phantom.
Something for when I want the pinnacle of (relative) purity and technical excellence. Which I definitely sometimes do.
Right now, I reach for my UM MEST at such times. And I did demo the Zeus ages ago and loved it at that time. So who knows?

On the other hand, if I just can't get over the lack of those qualities that I usually prefer, then I'll be flipping the Odin on here faster than a McDonald's employee who's won 'speed chef of the month' 3 times consecutively :joy:

In which case, anyone interested can start PM'ing me their offers now (I'm in the UK, if that matters). And/or offers for the Stormbreaker cable, as if I do keep the Odin, I'd want to change that ASAP :grimacing:

Interesting times ahead!
Congrats on the purchase, Marcus! I'm sorry I got your name wrong before I edited this post. :D I hope they work out, whether you choose to keep them or not.

To answer your previous question about note size, the way I define it is how much space these notes take up in the in-ear's stage; how much of the in-ear's soundscape is note vs. how much of it is clean air, or empty space, or the black background. And, that can be done in a number of ways as well:

A note can seem larger because it emanates more warmth, which comes from a raised mid-bass. It's also what I mean when I say an in-ear has warm air mucking up its image, or when I say the warmth present between instruments slightly congeals them together. It also relates to my comparison between the Noir and the ODIN, where I mention that the Noir's raised mid-bass causes its instruments to slightly intermingle. Whereas, when it comes to body and warmth, the ODIN's instruments largely keep to themselves. This is signified by the clean or "empty" air present between the ODIN's instruments.

A note can also seem larger because of a raised lower-midrange, and that's signified by a chestier, meatier tonality to the instrument as well. This is the kind of "largeness" or fat that you can observe on the Phantom, for example.

And, lastly, in the ODIN's case, its notes are larger because of the 2-3kHz peak. The presence region is raised, so singers and leads seem closer to you; more in-your-face in their delivery. And, what happens when an object comes closer to you? They'll seem bigger. That closeness gives the ODIN's upper-mids more resolution and texture, because those nuances are brought forth to you.

However, there can be a scenario where that rise is overdone, and you're so close to the instrument that you're almost suffocated by it. That's what I mean when I say an upper-midrange is intense or (over)saturated: Adding saturation to a photo can help you distinguish the different shades of colours (or the different nuances) in the image, but adding too much can also blow out details and stress your eyes.

Bringing instruments closer can also cause them to somewhat overlap spatially, reducing the precision in their imaging. For example, you have a guitar at 10 o'clock, a singer at centre-stage and a trumpet at 2 o'clock. If those notes come closer - and, thus, become larger - to you, that guitar now spans between 9 and 11 o'clock, and the singer sits between 1 and 2 o'clock, and the trumpet's between 1 and 3 o'clock. But, compared to the other two methods outlined above, this is a less common cause of poor separation, because having a present upper-midrange also contributes detail. Whereas, an excess of lows or low-mids will also mask detail, which makes separation even more difficult.

I really hope this is coming across clearly. I can probably include illustrations in a reply if you'd like me to explain it a bit better.

In any case, as I mentioned in the Midrange section of my ODIN review, neither are really issues on this IEM, because all of its nuances still come through, and there's always a sliver of air between instruments in that area.

Now, when it comes to tightening and/or compacting instruments, it's achieved by doing the opposite of everything I've listed above. Cutting the mid-bass takes away some of the warm air between instruments, so there's clearer separation between one and another. A lack of warmth between instruments also means that you're more able to see the image's background (or, say, in Photoshop, the base layer) between them. This also contributes a sense of tidiness or cleanliness. That's how itsfit Lab's Fusion does its separation, for example; more so relying on its sub-bass for kick.

And, the same applies to the low-mids in terms of body as well. Of course, the trade-off there is in fullness and tonality. The tighter and more compact instruments are (and the less warmth they emanate), the drier, thinner and more artificial they'll begin to sound. In the ODIN's case, specifically, the more you drop those low-mids, the less dynamic, present and rich male vocals and baritone saxophones become. This was basically the criticism I lobbed at the ODIN's lower-register presentation on the review.

Lastly, having the high-mids relaxed distances instruments from you a tad, so you're able to better tell where one ends and another begins. Also, as notes move further back, the space between them increases. Like, if people held hands in a circle and you told them to start walking backwards, they'd eventually have to let go of each other, because the space between them is now too large. The same applies to notes in an image. But, of course, it's only true if the IEM's also constructed a properly circular or spherical stage, which is what the ODIN does. All this is why the ODIN's midrange separation can't ever be as tight or precise as some of the more referenced-tuned IEMs out there, i.e. ones with more neutral high-mids. But, again, as I said in my review, it's the closest a musical midrange can get to that, which is to EE and the ODIN's credit.

Again, I understand this is quite a bit to take in, so I can probably explain it further with images if you need me to. But, I have other reviews to work on at the moment, so I'll leave this at that. :D

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #28,742 of 39,414
If I was looking for an IEM to match my kind of ideal preferences, then so far, I've narrowed it down to 3 main contenders and - in a stroke of almost divine providence - none of them are summit-fi beasts with appropriately vertigo-inducing prices! :D

They are, in no particular order:
1) 64 Audio Nio
2) Fir M4
3) JH Audio Jolene

If I don't keep the Odin - and, frankly, even if I do - I can pretty much say for definite that I'm going to get one of these.
Ideally used (for the savings), but will consider new too. But which one? .. Hmm.. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #28,743 of 39,414
Once you have the VE-8 repaired, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts vs your Anole VX and Luna. I look forward to them.

I am surprised you had an issue with the damage in shipping. I guess anything can happen. With all of the knocks we have given the Traillii in terms of what is included in the package, it does come very well protected per the picture below. Tks.
VE's packaging has been so well received and hailed - for the impressive presentation .... while the bird often has been criticised for the rather "meagre" packaging -but i turns out that functionality and well designed and simple packaging has its values too...
Sometimes less is more...

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #28,744 of 39,414
No I didn’t write comparison review. I believe to write a proper review, one needs to spend some quality time with the gear, which I personally didn’t, unfortunately. I did share some rough first impressions on some of the gear I tried in this very thread few pages ago. You might want to check my recent activities of the last few weeks, in my profile, if you wish. Nothing fancy though... :beyersmile:
As for reviews, guys like @twister6, @marcusd, @Deezel177 and others are doing such an outstanding job that I don’t think it would bring anything valuable... Also, it’s really a lot of work to put a good review together and I don’t think I’d have the time for that (an elegant way to say I’m far too lazy!!! :beyersmile:).

In @twister6 ’s review of the Traillii, he compared it to Erlky, Odin, Elysium and others. His description is very clear and spot on as usual.

As for me, if I had to summarize roughly Traillii’s sound, I’d say that it takes all the strengths that made the fame of each top IEMs and blend them in a very compelling, musical and elegant delivery. It’s probably not the best at anything specific but its strength lays in being a jack of all trades. It might be the best at being great at everything, from sound to comfort, isolation,... Although it’s definitely not the best at being beautiful... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I might eventually write a review, if I find the strength, when I get them next month, after I spent enough time with them.

Oh! And we might want to slow down on the Traillii’s post in this thread if you don’t want us to end up getting stoned!! :laughing:
I get the point - I think i am already on the black list in this thread... but i am also too lazy to start writing reviews = and as you said -others have done already a brilliant job in that (which got me to take my decision). We could do a collaboration - two lazy guys - make 1 active one ?

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #28,745 of 39,414
Congrats on the purchase, Marcus! I'm sorry I got your name wrong before I edited this post. :D I hope they work out, whether you choose to keep them or not.

To answer your previous question about note size, the way I define it is how much space these notes take up in the in-ear's stage; how much of the in-ear's soundscape is note vs. how much of it is clean air, or empty space, or the black background. And, that can be done in a number of ways as well:

A note can seem larger because it emanates more warmth, which comes from a raised mid-bass. It's also what I mean when I say an in-ear has warm air mucking up its image, or when I say the warmth present between instruments slightly congeals them together. It also relates to my comparison between the Noir and the ODIN, where I mention that the Noir's raised mid-bass causes its instruments to slightly intermingle. Whereas, when it comes to body and warmth, the ODIN's instruments largely keep to themselves. This is signified by the clean or "empty" air present between the ODIN's instruments.

A note can also seem larger because of a raised lower-midrange, and that's signified by a chestier, meatier tonality to the instrument as well. This is the kind of "largeness" or fat that you can observe on the Phantom, for example.

And, lastly, in the ODIN's case, its notes are larger because of the 2-3kHz peak. The presence region is raised, so singers and leads seem closer to you; more in-your-face in their delivery. And, what happens when an object comes closer to you? They'll seem bigger. That closeness gives the ODIN's upper-mids more resolution and texture, because those nuances are brought forth to you.

However, there can be a scenario where that rise is overdone, and you're so close to the instrument that you're almost suffocated by it. That's what I mean when I say an upper-midrange is intense or (over)saturated: Adding saturation to a photo can help you distinguish the different shades of colours (or the different nuances) in the image, but adding too much can also blow out details and stress your eyes.

Bringing instruments closer can also cause them to somewhat overlap spatially, reducing the precision in their imaging. For example, you have a guitar at 10 o'clock, a singer at centre-stage and a trumpet at 2 o'clock. If those notes come closer - and, thus, become larger - to you, that guitar now spans between 9 and 11 o'clock, and the singer sits between 1 and 2 o'clock, and the trumpet's between 1 and 3 o'clock. But, compared to the other two methods outlined above, this is a less common cause of poor separation, because having a present upper-midrange also contributes detail. Whereas, an excess of lows or low-mids will also mask detail, which makes separation even more difficult.

I really hope this is coming across clearly. I can probably include illustrations in a reply if you'd like me to explain it a bit better.

In any case, as I mentioned in the Midrange section of my ODIN review, neither are really issues on this IEM, because all of its nuances still come through, and there's always a sliver of air between instruments in that area.

Now, when it comes to tightening and/or compacting instruments, it's achieved by doing the opposite of everything I've listed above. Cutting the mid-bass takes away some of the warm air between instruments, so there's clearer separation between one and another. A lack of warmth between instruments also means that you're more able to see the image's background (or, say, in Photoshop, the base layer) between them. This also contributes a sense of tidiness or cleanliness. That's how itsfit Lab's Fusion does its separation, for example; more so relying on its sub-bass for kick.

And, the same applies to the low-mids in terms of body as well. Of course, the trade-off there is in fullness and tonality. The tighter and more compact instruments are (and the less warmth they emanate), the drier, thinner and more artificial they'll begin to sound. In the ODIN's case, specifically, the more you drop those low-mids, the less dynamic, present and rich male vocals and baritone saxophones become. This was basically the criticism I lobbed at the ODIN's lower-register presentation on the review.

Lastly, having the high-mids relaxed distances instruments from you a tad, so you're able to better tell where one ends and another begins. Also, as notes move further back, the space between them increases. Like, if people held hands in a circle and you told them to start walking backwards, they'd eventually have to let go of each other, because the space between them is now too large. The same applies to notes in an image. But, of course, it's only true if the IEM's also constructed a properly circular or spherical stage, which is what the ODIN does. All this is why the ODIN's midrange separation can't ever be as tight or precise as some of the more referenced-tuned IEMs out there, i.e. ones with more neutral high-mids. But, again, as I said in my review, it's the closest a musical midrange can get to that, which is to EE and the ODIN's credit.

Again, I understand this is quite a bit to take in, so I can probably explain it further with images if you need me to. But, I have other reviews to work on at the moment, so I'll leave this at that. :D
You should write a book! If you have not thought of this before, I get 10%!

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #28,746 of 39,414
You want to sell the stock cable, a PW1960s?

T R I G G E R E D
I too did that. Only to replace it with another 1960s.

The Stormbreaker is in my hands again with the Zeus XR though.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #28,747 of 39,414
Hey guys, in case anyone's interested, my take on user-centric review of the HiBy R8 is now online and can be found in THIS post on the official R8 thread (I'm taking a feather out of @Deezel177's cap and not cross-pollinating posts from dedicated threads). I'll still include some eye candy here, of course.

HiByR8_22.jpg

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #28,748 of 39,414
Hey guys, in case anyone's interested, my take on user-centric review of the HiBy R8 is now online and can be found in THIS post on the official R8 thread (I'm taking a feather out of @Deezel177's cap and not cross-pollinating posts from dedicated threads). I'll still include some eye candy here, of course.

HiByR8_22.jpg

You have one of the nicest Fourte designs I’ve seen.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #28,749 of 39,414
VE's packaging has been so well received and hailed - for the impressive presentation .... while the bird often has been criticised for the rather "meagre" packaging -but i turns out that functionality and well designed and simple packaging has its values too...
Sometimes less is more...
I'd love to see more "less is more" approaches ... especially the Traillii has a super attractive carrying/storage case. That's it ... and that's all I would want. I have so many headphone boxes - gigantic wooden ones, heavy leather ones and on top practical looking but in real life dysfunctional suitcases .... I don't need that. I don't want it either.

Thinking about it, what I want is a Traillii. This is a dangerous way to think. I need to stop.

Anyway, did I mention I love the Traillii's VanNuysen case?

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #28,750 of 39,414
I'd love to see more "less is more" approaches ... especially the Traillii has a super attractive carrying/storage case. That's it ... and that's all I would want. I have so many headphone boxes - gigantic wooden ones, heavy leather ones and on top practical looking but in real life dysfunctional suitcases .... I don't need that. I don't want it either.

Thinking about it, what I want is a Traillii. This is a dangerous way to think. I need to stop.

Anyway, did I mention I love the Traillii's VanNuysen case?
The bird's gentle serenade will sway you...

My Traillii will hopefully be shipped out this week.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #28,751 of 39,414

That was an incredible review, and a very original approach to the many aspects of a DAP (not just SQ, or storage, or speed, etc.). Thanks for sharing.

-Collin-

P.S. I hate the volume wheel more than a thousand kicks in the face with a golf shoe, but still overall love the R8.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #28,752 of 39,414
That was an incredible review, and a very original approach to the many aspects of a DAP (not just SQ, or storage, or speed, etc.). Thanks for sharing.

-Collin-

P.S. I hate the volume wheel more than a thousand kicks in the face with a golf shoe, but still overall love the R8.

I don't understand the issues with the R8 volume wheel. Which DAP do you like with the best volume wheel? I've found the only DAP with a better wheel is Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #28,753 of 39,414
I too did that. Only to replace it with another 1960s.

The Stormbreaker is in my hands again with the Zeus XR though.

wait, you got XR again ? when did this happen ?

also Odin/Zeus impressions dude :xf_cool:

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #28,754 of 39,414
I don't understand the issues with the R8 volume wheel. Which DAP do you like with the best volume wheel? I've found the only DAP with a better wheel is Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.
Honestly, I've never been too bothered by volume wheels until the R8. I should mention that it's probably because of the Dignis case that came with it, where every movement of the wheel is met by rubbing on the case. Also, I think all my DAPs in the past have had the wheel on the side (which I prefer). I hope you detected the sarcasm in my post with the level of hatred, but, I still do dislike it a fair bit :)

-Collin-

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #28,755 of 39,414
wait, you got XR again ? when did this happen ?

also Odin/Zeus impressions dude :xf_cool:
He has mine on loan 😂

And he’s gonna do exactly that. And with my wraith as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back