flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 25, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #26,986 of 39,414
Do you know if it can drive a very difficult headphone like the Susvara? I was told my Hugo 2 would not be powerful enough for that. I would like to try one out some day, but with no CanJam, I would need to drive it myself. Tks.
You can absolutely not, in any shape or form, drive a Susvara with a Hugo 2. The ifi micro BL is 3 times as powerful as a Hugo and it still can’t even scratch the surface

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #26,987 of 39,414
You can absolutely not, in any shape or form, drive a Susvara with a Hugo 2. The ifi micro BL is 3 times as powerful as a Hugo and it still can’t even scratch the surface
Hi Michael. Yes, you had told me the Hugo 2 cannot drive it. I as asking about the M8. Sounds like that might not be able to either. Tks.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #26,988 of 39,414
Hi Michael. Yes, you had told me the Hugo 2 cannot drive it. I as asking about the M8. Sounds like that might not be able to either. Tks.
The recommended current for the 1266TC is IIRC 7w @ 32 ohms, and the Susvara is significantly harder to drive. IMHO, not a chance haha

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #26,989 of 39,414
The recommended current for the 1266TC is IIRC 7w @ 32 ohms, and the Susvara is significantly harder to drive. IMHO, not a chance haha
Wow! They are not kidding when they say an amp is needed. Can you simply use a 2-channel stereo amp, or is anything in the middle needed? Just curious should I ever want to audition it. Tks.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #26,990 of 39,414
Wow! They are not kidding when they say an amp is needed. Can you simply use a 2-channel stereo amp, or is anything in the middle needed? Just curious should I ever want to audition it. Tks.
You can use a 2 channel stereo amp but you’d need an adapter to be able to connect the Susvara to the speaker taps in the back

realistically though, a powerful enough HP amplifier with 13/14W per channel should be able to get the job done more than adequately. Nothing portable is currently able to do that though :S

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #26,991 of 39,414

If you read over Susvara’s thread, one of the recommended amps is Pass Labs XA25, which has 25W of output and it’s a speaker amp. Or if you want to use headphone amp, Hifiman has one that’s purposely built for Susvara, the EF1000. It has 20W of output, but I believe you have to buy it as a bundle with Susvara and the bundle retails for $18,000 though.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #26,992 of 39,414
If you read over Susvara’s thread, one of the recommended amps is Pass Labs XA25, which has 25W of output and it’s a speaker amp. Or if you want to use headphone amp, Hifiman has one that’s purposely built for Susvara, the EF1000. It has 20W of output, but I believe you have to buy it as a bundle with Susvara and the bundle retails for $18,000 though.
Yes but the guys are going a little overboard with the supposed power requirements in that thread imho.. I just enjoyed the Susvara with the XI Audio Formula S, which was designed for the Abyss 1266. The output of this amp is 6W @ 16 ohms. To my ears, it sounds fantastic with the Susvara, with lots of headroom.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #26,993 of 39,414
Yes but the guys are going a little overboard with the supposed power requirements in that thread imho.. I just enjoyed the Susvara with the XI Audio Formula S, which was designed for the Abyss 1266. The output of this amp is 6W @ 16 ohms. To my ears, it sounds fantastic with the Susvara, with lots of headroom.

Interesting, I have an incoming Burson Soloist 3XP which has 8W @ 16 ohms, theoretically it should be able to drive Susvara to a satisfying sound then :relaxed:

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #26,994 of 39,414
Thanks for all the feedback. I had asked as I do have an old Forte Stereo amp I do not use. I would have to dig it out though. I may or may not increase the power of my desktop set up. I really like just using my N8 on the couch though which is why I was asking about Daps. At the moment not an issue as I do bnot have a Susvara or Abyss, but I would like to audition at some point. My 2 channel system really serves as my reference and regular system, but with my family home, having the ability to listen at normal levels whenever I want is a plus.

Sounds like I need at least 7 watts or so. Good to know. Thanks all and hopefully I will remember this advice!

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #26,995 of 39,414
Interesting, I have an incoming Burson Soloist 3XP which has 8W @ 16 ohms, theoretically it should be able to drive Susvara to a satisfying sound then :relaxed:
Maybe... I have the Formula S with the Powerman power supply, and I have read that this probably contributes to its great performance at 'relatively' modest output compared to the speaker amps etc..

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #26,996 of 39,414
Maybe... I have the Formula S with the Powerman power supply, and I have read that this probably contributes to its great performance at 'relatively' modest output compared to the speaker amps etc..

Ah yes, I’ve read wonders that the Powerman can do to the Formula S. I agree that a very good power supply is essential to get the cleanest and best possible sound. Will keep this in mind :relaxed:

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #26,998 of 39,414
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #27,000 of 39,414
Worrying about power for headphones feels like a silly hill to die on in the world of audio addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back