flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #27,016 of 39,414
I’m all for desktop amps but you use them with an impedance adapter right? The waterfall hiss is unbearable on both my Burson and my GSX mini when used with IEMs

Not all desktop amps have high OI. So I don't use mine with an impedance adapter. As for the hiss, yes, that definitely may be a problem with some of the IEMs that are super sensitive. There are some amps like the THX789 which are more silent with IEMs than some DAPs. Headamp's desktop amps are known to be quite powerful and may not work for IEMs. Even their Gilmore Lite Mk2 is too powerful for IEMs in terms of hiss and lack of headroom to adjust volume.

We all go through great trouble in finding a synergistic DAP for an IEM we love. No reason why one shouldn't invest in a suitable desktop amp, when most of the listening is done at the desk.

I'm all for desktop amps...with desktop headphones. Honestly don't get the point of being tethered to a desk with IEMs, never mind the power differential and overkill when it comes to driving IEMs with megawatt desktop amps.

Hot climate and weak neck are a couple of reasons. I have managed to strengthen my neck enough to bear the weight of the HD800 for fairly prolonged periods these days. I remember when I first bought it, I couldn't wear em for more than 30mins due to a weak neck from a car accident. And now that I live in India, where centralised air conditioning is not common in houses, it gets really warm for full-size headphones during summers.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #27,017 of 39,414
I’m all for desktop amps but you use them with an impedance adapter right? The waterfall hiss is unbearable on both my Burson and my GSX mini when used with IEMs
There are wonderfully silent desktop amp with IEMs on the market like AAA 789 or Drop Cavalli Carbon X (have both)
0 background noise with Andromeda

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #27,018 of 39,414
Desktop use does not necessarily mean plugging the IEM into an amplifier. It could be a DAC. I occasionally use the headphone socket of the Chord DAVE to enjoy its sublime sound through IEMs. It's a great pairing, and no issues with hiss. @doctorjuggles is making a longer IEM cable for me for this purpose, with a 6.3 mm plug. :)

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #27,019 of 39,414
Hot climate and weak neck are a couple of reasons. I have managed to strengthen my neck enough to bear the weight of the HD800 for fairly prolonged periods these days. I remember when I first bought it, I couldn't wear em for more than 30mins due to a weak neck from a car accident. And now that I live in India, where centralised air conditioning is not common in houses, it gets really warm for full-size headphones during summers.

Wow, that's hectic. And makes perfect sense. I eventually sold all my headphones other than the HD800 mainly because if how comfortable the HD800 is (and how uncomfortable it makes everything else). Now I've sold my HD800 too, but only because I've gone 100% portable.

Desktop use does not necessarily mean plugging the IEM into an amplifier. It could be a DAC. I occasionally use the headphone socket of the Chord DAVE to enjoy its sublime sound through IEMs. It's a great pairing, and no issues with hiss. @doctorjuggles is making a longer IEM cable for me for this purpose, with a 6.3 mm plug. :)

Yep, fair call. Ironically I just spent the last week writing my magnum opus 64 Audio review, all at my desk... so now instead of a big amp/DAC on a rack I have my DAP next to the MacBook :p

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #27,020 of 39,414
To be fair, $1k is endgame. Beyond that you're paying too much for tuning period. I would argue if the audio community wasn't so big and enable for this addiction, we probably all be rocking iPods and Andro 2020s and calling it a day.

Normal people get addicted to buying clothes, we're addicted to buying the exotic sportscars of in ear monitors. It's just the limits of what we're willing to spend to satisfy the addiction without selling organs.

pin this post , for truth & wisdom.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #27,021 of 39,414
It's one thing the Sultan with the Mustang, and quite another without it :beyersmile:

DSC_1101-01.jpeg

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #27,023 of 39,414
No, in fact i'm looking for a Ray Samuels balanced amp

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #27,024 of 39,414
Unique Melody is sending me a 3DT to review. This will be the first sub $1k IEM I’ve had since the Kanas Pro two years ago. I can’t wait to plug those 3DDs into my M8.
Very interested to hear your thoughts on them. They are probably the only iem on my radar right now. I'm pretty satisfied with my higher end stuff and have no desire to spend huge amounts on iems right now, but the 3dt looks quite interesting. The shells look great, and a 3 dd config certainly piques my interest. Worried that the hype in the sponsor thread isn't super objective and the shells look like they may not be great for my ears.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #27,026 of 39,414
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #27,028 of 39,414
Delightful combo!!574D3B68-B2CA-4BF3-B74D-A6E298F77A68.jpeg
Dude, we’re like twins! (Minus the dignis case and your better photo quality lol).

+1 on the synergy on this one. I’ll share more impressions after my DX300 comes tomorrow to compare.

090E4036-009A-4DAE-B054-980BE12E6B37.jpeg

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #27,029 of 39,414
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #27,030 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back