flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #2,446 of 39,414
The only IEM I haven't listened to in the top 5 (aside from the Warbler of course) is the SE5-Ult, and now my interest in it is piqued more than ever.

Despite my affinity for a sparkly treble in my IEMs, I do value tonal accuracy and realism as much as, if not slightly more than, absolute technical performance and clarity. So, if the Ult does have a brilliant balance of both (as most reviews have pointed out), I might be able to overlook its apparent darkness.

But, then again, I'll wait until its review to see if my money is better spent elsewhere in Europe... such as Turkey... :wink:

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #2,447 of 39,414
I may have missed this @flinkenick, but is your #1 pick also your preferred/favorite IEM to listen to?

May sound silly to ask but IMO if it's not then it would show great restraint on your part in admitting that another IEM may be technically superior to one that you simply enjoy most. And of course if your #1 in the shootout is also your favorite then obviously it makes sense as well.
Number one is not my personal favorite, but it's not too shabby :D

Does anyone know if flinkenick reviewed the revised version of the NT6 pro or the original version?
Do you know when they revised it? I bought mine second hand a while ago, so my guess would be it is the original if they changed it.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #2,449 of 39,414
Wow, this is only getting thrilling by the week. While the W900 may not have made it to the top 5, I have a feeling I might like this IEM based on what I read in the review.

Right? Nic described everything I like about the W900, and I didn't think the weaknesses were that apparent. It's my #1 bcos well, buyer bias heheh.

Which means the remaining 5 has to be very, very strong, nearly devoid of weaknesses.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #2,450 of 39,414
@flinkenick - can you tell us which of the IEMs on the shootout IS your favourite to listen to (you doing need to give the game at about what position it is if it hasn't come up yet)? I think that would be an interesting piece of info to go alongside your more scientific review observations.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #2,451 of 39,414
I dig that. It's sort of like films. My firm favourite (say, Transformers the 1986 cartoon movie) might not be the one that I'd want to let all my friends know; whereas the best film in my opinion (say, Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption) might just be too heavy-handed and serious to just pick and watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Your favourite is like a personal #1 even if it won't win awards lol.

I really love the original Transformers movie (not the Bayformers dear lord), Optimus Prime's death scarred my kid psyche for weeks!

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,452 of 39,414
I dig that. It's sort of like films. My firm favourite (say, Transformers the 1986 cartoon movie) might not be the one that I'd want to let all my friends know; whereas the best film in my opinion (say, Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption) might just be too heavy-handed and serious to just pick and watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Your favourite is like a personal #1 even if it won't win awards lol.

I really love the original Transformers movie (not the Bayformers dear lord), Optimus Prime's death scarred my kid psyche for weeks!

OMG !!! Another fan of the '86 Transformers Movie?!?!?! Dammmnnnnn man!!! I cannot begin to say/shout out how freaking awesome that film was !!!! AWESOME ass kickin, soundtrack to begin with, HUGE DEPARTURE from their weekly cartoons where they went full on savage mode by killing tons of transformers including my beloved Optimus Prime (I have never forgiven Hot-Rod btw ... I still haven't lol) . They even had the late Leonard Nimoy/Spock to voice Galvatron; and seeing Unicron for the first time was like whoa.....

But damn ... So glad to know someone else here loves that film ! I agree on Shawshank but Michael Mann's HEAT would take my top spot and if you haven't watched that please do if you're a fan of a "thinking man's action flick" :wink:

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2,453 of 39,414
My favourite are the 'Decepticon'. Optimus death was emotionally satisfying to watch.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,454 of 39,414
Teen movie.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,455 of 39,414
@flinkenick - can you tell us which of the IEMs on the shootout IS your favourite to listen to (you doing need to give the game at about what position it is if it hasn't come up yet)? I think that would be an interesting piece of info to go alongside your more scientific review observations.
Lately when I come home from work I mainly just want to listen to easy-listening music to relax. So I will listen to the RWAK380cu > SilverFi IEM-R4 connected to UE18+, 5-Way, Zeus-XIV, or Prelude. They all have their relative strengths, but I enjoy them more or less equally. And as a 'guilty pleasure', the NT6-pro.

I used to listen to more electronic music and genres like pop and hip-hop, but less frequently nowadays. In that case I like the S-EM9, Samba, and more recently of course, the A18.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,456 of 39,414
Right? Nic described everything I like about the W900, and I didn't think the weaknesses were that apparent. It's my #1 bcos well, buyer bias heheh.

Which means the remaining 5 has to be very, very strong, nearly devoid of weaknesses.
Well unfortunately there is no perfect iem, and the remainders equally have their own weaknesses. But perfect is in the eyes of the beholder :heart_eyes_cat:

I had some critique on the W900, because I have become more of a stickler for timbre and naturalness. But just like most critique on the previous iems it is put under a magnifying glass, so it appears larger than it is.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,457 of 39,414
Lately when I come home from work I mainly just want to listen to easy-listening music to relax. So I will listen to the RWAK380cu > SilverFi IEM-R4 connected to UE18+, 5-Way, Zeus-XIV, or Prelude. They all have their relative strengths, but I enjoy them more or less equally. And as a 'guilty pleasure', the NT6-pro.

I used to listen to more electronic music and genres like pop and hip-hop, but less frequently nowadays. In that case I like the S-EM9, Samba, and more recently of course, the A18.
Well your ears are already old.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,458 of 39,414
Number one is not my personal favorite, but it's not too shabby :D

Do you know when they revised it? I bought mine second hand a while ago, so my guess would be it is the original if they changed it.

You'll have to ask Barra. He stated in his impressions from the Hidition demo tour that compared to his NT6 pro customs the universal with the revision sounded different. I'm guessing you probably heard the original as well. Also cheers on all effort you've put into this. It may not necessarily apply to everybody but it's a reference that'll be used for time to come. Especially considering it's hard enough to compare customs as is.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #2,460 of 39,414

Curious as to the definition of "easy listening music"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back