flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #24,241 of 39,414
Be afraid, be very afraid. And FWIW, you'll be spending ALOT more on desktop gear to get the sheet resolution of TOTL IEMs.
Haha! :sweat_smile: Well, as it looks now I might need to postpone those plans anyway because I don't have much budget at the moment and I have started planning something ambitious review-wise.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #24,242 of 39,414
I have been super interested in headphones and desktop gear lately and I would love to hear how headphones can scale, which I expect goes beyond any IEM. The biggest hurdle I have is that because I am so used to high-end portable gear, I don't know if it would be wise to go into desktop gear on a budget because that might make it a disappointing experience by comparison. To avoid that would require a pretty healthy budget. Do it right and get good synergy between the DAC, amp and headphones would again require more budget and so the rabbit hole is opening up in front of me, making me just a little anxious. :sweat_smile:
I've just received a rather large amount of mid-fi to TOTL-ish amps (most expensive of them being the HeadAmp GSX Mini at around 1700$ before discounts) and I am personally calling BS on the whole "you need a 5000$ amp to make these sound good" - if you do, then simply get a headphone that isn't trying to force you into a ridiculous purchase.

I'm currently driving the 1266 Phi CC with the GSX Mini and it sounds amazing.

The Topping A90 is with me as well and it does a spectacular job at providing a sort of ultimate transparency. I'll be doing a lot more HP reviews in the weeks to come and they'll be focused on driving TOTL headphones with gear that wouldn't be more expensive than what you'd use to drive a good IEM setup

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #24,243 of 39,414
I've just received a rather large amount of mid-fi to TOTL-ish amps (most expensive of them being the HeadAmp GSX Mini at around 1700$ before discounts) and I am personally calling BS on the whole "you need a 5000$ amp to make these sound good" - if you do, then simply get a headphone that isn't trying to force you into a ridiculous purchase.

I'm currently driving the 1266 Phi CC with the GSX Mini and it sounds amazing.

The Topping A90 is with me as well and it does a spectacular job at providing a sort of ultimate transparency. I'll be doing a lot more HP reviews in the weeks to come and they'll be focused on driving TOTL headphones with gear that wouldn't be more expensive than what you'd use to drive a good IEM setup
Nice! Please share some pictures if you can. I really like the GSX Mini from everything I have read and I am curious which colour option you went with. :wink:

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #24,244 of 39,414
Thanks everybody for your insights on the desktop setup!
It's the same for me, that I like to be mobile and to have the possibility to listen to high-quality music away from the desktop.
I just have the feeling that I won't take IEMs which cost 1000+ USD out of the house and risk losing them in the train or bus, lol.

Well, one step at a time.

Thanks again for your insights.
I have to say I love that forum here🙏

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #24,245 of 39,414
Nice! Please share some pictures if you can. I really like the GSX Mini from everything I have read and I am curious which colour option you went with. :wink:
I had so many people ask me if I went green or purple... :D

7F2D3A8F-FCBA-44C4-A898-9999D9501164.jpeg

Apologies for the mess

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #24,247 of 39,414
:sweat_smile: Love the green! :thumbsup:
The GSX Mini was way bigger than I expected it to be honestly. So far I'm absolutely loving it with the Diana V2. Provides insane definition and detail with really good and actually present low end.

I also got a super brief demo session of the HD800S while I was at the airport and really liked what I'm hearing. Looking to sell my Rosson to maybe fund one of those

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #24,248 of 39,414
I am personally calling BS on the whole "you need a 5000$ amp to make these sound good" - if you do, then simply get a headphone that isn't trying to force you into a ridiculous purchase.

Couldn't agree more. Though, same applies to IEMs. They can sounds very good off an inexpensive DAP or even a half-decent phone. One does not need a $2k DAP though the latter may eek out the most of the IEM's abilities. Diminishing returns et al...that slope is steep.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #24,249 of 39,414
Couldn't agree more. Though, same applies to IEMs. They can sounds very good off an inexpensive DAP or even a half-decent phone. One does not need a $2k DAP though the latter may eek out the most of the IEM's abilities. Diminishing returns et al...that slope is steep.
100% and I'm saying this as someone who owns the LPGT. That money could've been spent SO much more efficiently

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #24,250 of 39,414
I just have the feeling that I won't take IEMs which cost 1000+ USD out of the house and risk losing them in the train or bus, lol.

Me neither. Well, I'd take them out of the house in terms of traveling (e.g., on a short holiday) in a decent case for the DAP and IEMs. But won't take them on a short trip out, on public transport, to a coffee shop, etc.

Horses for courses though; I'm sure there is someone out there using their Z1R, U12t, Solaris, Hero, or other kilobuck IEM for a jog or session at the gym :sob:

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #24,251 of 39,414
Me neither. Well, I'd take them out of the house in terms of traveling (e.g., on a short holiday) in a decent case for the DAP and IEMs. But won't take them on a short trip out, on public transport, to a coffee shop, etc.

Horses for courses though; I'm sure there is someone out there using their Z1R, U12t, Solaris, Hero, or other kilobuck IEM for a jog or session at the gym :sob:
I walk my dog with the Thummim / LPGT / Iliad almost daily :D

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #24,252 of 39,414
Naaa a good totl dap still sounds good guys come on hehe. Are you saying buy ibasso dx160 and call it a day?

I dont think so, but neither the less sony came up with zx507 and I seem to like it a lot lol. I sold my wm1z and now on the verge maybe selling wm1a and keep zx507 😜🤪

Oh yea and I am the guy who had few modified wm1z as well.

But yes a totle dap may still bring better performance it also depends what you listen to and what your after...

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #24,253 of 39,414

Maybe not the gym but I take my IEMs most places I go...that's the main reason I got into portable audio :)

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #24,254 of 39,414
Funny, I was using the Trio in my gym the other day. (Usually I train with the Final E4000 though.)

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #24,255 of 39,414
Funny, I was using the Trio in my gym the other day. (Usually I train with the Final E4000 though.)

I commend you for your courage. I would treat my kit with white cotton gloves in a dust-free room if I could :smile:

And if I took the Trio with me to gym I would not need to train; the HR would be elevated so much from the stress and anxiety that it would burn more calories than a spinning class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back