flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 11, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #23,656 of 39,414
2020 ahead of MW10...that's interesting. (Great impressions...thanks for sharing!) My own 2020 came in the mail today and I have been loving it so far-- it's really connecting with me in a way that the OG (or the Gold) never did. I was riding my bike through the park earlier as the sun was setting, with the Andromeda singing in my ears and I remember at one point I was consciously trying to formulate some impressions and comparisons in my head when "Down In It" by St. Germain came on and before I knew it I was completely sucked into the moment-- I promptly forgot all about trying to organize my thoughts and just rolled with the music for a while in a state of bliss. It's precisely this sort of experience that lets me know I'm in the presence of greatness with an IEM. This is by no means the first time I've had an experience like this but each time it happens I'm left with the nascent feeling that everything else I can say sound/signature/characteristics of the IEM is merely window dressing next to the fact that it can sweep me off my feet like that. I've posted some more detailed impressions in the Andro thread but the moral of the story is that it the Andromeda 2020 is quickly emerging as my favorite BA IEM.
It's a really close race between the 2020, MW and OG tbh. For me, 2020 is the jack of all trades that I prefer. In the abscene of that it would be MW > OG >>> S since they all perform quite well on technical level at the price point they belong to.

The S doesn't really age well and gets left in the dust

For me, it will be MW10 > 2020 > AG > V3 > S > OG. :)

Ah I see you've summon KB as well, any hints on the next Andro?

We tried without the MW and 2020 and it was just a wink and a "wait and see"

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #23,657 of 39,414
It's a really close race between the 2020, MW and OG tbh. For me, 2020 is the jack of all trades that I prefer.

That's great to hear and honestly not that surprising. It removes some of the urgency with which I've been coveting the MW10, though I may end up pouncing on one of those some day just because I love the look.

they all perform quite well on technical level at the price point they belong to.

That's putting it mildly-- I would wager they can more than hold their own with anything south of 3K US.

The S doesn't really age well and gets left in the dust

That's really interesting as when I got into this hobby in late 2018 the Andro S was considered the bees knees and commanded the highest premium (I've still not heard it).

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #23,658 of 39,414
That's great to hear and honestly not that surprising. It removes some of the urgency with which I've been coveting the MW10, though I may end up pouncing on one of those some day just because I love the look.
The colour scheme and the screws go really well together, the MW really are a beauty but hard to find because of the LE status. The 2020 will hold you over till then

That's putting it mildly-- I would wager they can more than hold their own with anything south of 3K US.
In a hobby rife with hyperbole I wanted to avoid that (As well as being a closet Andro shill), but I wouldn't disagree with that take. For me the u12t edges it out in technicality by a small amount in addition to having Apex.

That's really interesting as when I got into this hobby in late 2018 the Andro S was considered the bees knees and commanded the highest premium (I've still not heard it).
The LE status really holds sway, plus the SS shells. If fixed my gripe with recessed upper mids on the OG but at the cost of the subbass extension and the treble. It's really not that good considering all the other tunings. Even in the absence of the 2020, I wouldn't recommend it.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #23,659 of 39,414
The colour scheme and the screws go really well together, the MW really are a beauty but hard to find because of the LE status. The 2020 will hold you over till then

In a hobby rife with hyperbole I wanted to avoid that (As well as being a closet Andro shill), but I wouldn't disagree with that take. For me the u12t edges it out in technicality by a small amount in addition to having Apex.

The LE status really holds sway, plus the SS shells. If fixed my gripe with recessed upper mids on the OG but at the cost of the subbass extension and the treble. It's really not that good considering all the other tunings. Even in the absence of the 2020, I wouldn't recommend it.

The u12t is flawless at what it sets out to do but it's a different sort of sound sig. The u12t is super analytic whereas the Andro is more concerned with sweeping your off your feet. Depending on who you are and what you're after either one could be an ideal choice. I could even see them being complimentary-- opposite ideals on the same spectrum.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #23,660 of 39,414
The u12t is flawless at what it sets out to do but it's a different sort of sound sig. The u12t is super analytic...
From your perspective, what does the u12t set out to do?

if the u12t is super analytical, how do you feel about the u18t?

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #23,662 of 39,414
If I can spare them at some point (I have some plans that might or might not happen), I will be happy to send them over just to see what you can come up with. :grin:

Haha! There's no need. It's inevitable that I'll get one myself... for the culture. :D

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #23,663 of 39,414
Completely agree with what you said about low volume listening @KuroKitsu! The Andro 2020 sounds great regardless of the volume! I have not heard the MW10 yet, but I'm planning to visit my friend @Colors soon, just because I'm that curious. Hopefully we get to meet too! 👍
I'm open for a meetup if you're in town. You can be the authoritative one on whether my u12t sounds normal!

You really gotta try the MW, feels like an Andro and not at the same time.

A side note. I have the QDC DMagic coming in from Musicteck, so impressions here in a week or so (Paypal echeck has to clear first). Decide to sell my Ether C, glasses and closed backs really don't mix sadly.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #23,664 of 39,414
I'm open for a meetup if you're in town. You can be the authoritative one on whether my u12t sounds normal!

You really gotta try the MW, feels like an Andro and not at the same time.

A side note. I have the QDC DMagic coming in from Musicteck, so impressions here in a week or so (Paypal echeck has to clear first). Decide to sell my Ether C, glasses and closed backs really don't mix sadly.
You are in for a magical and 3D treat with the Dmagic 3D :p

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #23,665 of 39,414
You are in for a magical and 3D treat with the Dmagic 3D :p
Your review convinced me, your track record with the Andro impressions was quite impressive.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #23,666 of 39,414
Your review convinced me, your track record with the Andro impressions was quite impressive.

By the way, for those interested in the Dmagic, I recently gave the custom version a look on Music Sanctuary’s website. Look what I found:

45B26F1E-84A9-427E-9421-FA30710DB5D3.jpeg

I‘ve confirmed with MS themselves that what you’re seeing is indeed correct: Full-wood shells on a CIEM for S$200 (around $130-150). ‘Pretty darn good deal if you ask me... provided the IEMs also sound great, of course. :wink:

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #23,667 of 39,414
From your perspective, what does the u12t set out to do?

if the u12t is super analytical, how do you feel about the u18t?

The u12t is fundamentally a stage monitor and it goes for a very reference/analytic type signature with a slightly boosted low end. From a technical standpoint-- which is I think what it prioritizes-- it's hard to find a flaw in it. All the minutia of a recording is laid bare with precision within a coherent and incredibly spacious head space. The problem is that at even with the bass boost it's still quite dry-- it's not an IEM that jumps out and grabs your attention or makes you want to tap your feet...but I don't think that's really its aim. By comparison Andromeda sacrifices a bit of the raw detail and separation of the u12t for a more musical and engaging signature. This is not a knock against the u12t which (again) when measured against its aim of being a reference monitor is pretty much flawless. I think ultimately these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs. The u12t, being decidedly reference-like and analytic in nature evokes a more intellectual response-- its engagement factor is derived from the precision, order and detail that characterizes its signature. The Andromeda, by contrast, evokes a more emotional response-- it is less concerned with space and details and more concerned with sweeping you off your feet and casting its spell on you. The u12t stimulates your intellect, the Andromeda tugs at your heart.

I've never heard the u18t but I've heard in some ways that IEM is the u12t cranked up a knotch.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #23,668 of 39,414
Haha! There's no need. It's inevitable that I'll get one myself... for the culture. :D

Maybe introducing a dynamic Google Calendar kind of thing for all HeadFi users can be of some help. Not for the official HeadFi CanJam purposes but for any and every small get togethers as planned by any small number of users across the world. Anyone can add to this universal calendar his/her own listing along with the date and cafe/venue location and the names of users joining that could send alerts to all users with that location in their profile. That way even those who just want to take photographs of gear can simply drop in for a few minutes and make use of the photo opportunity. There are dozens of gear I simply love watching but not wanting to own that I might love to photograph for posterity.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #23,669 of 39,414
I think ultimately these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs. The u12t, being decidedly reference-like and analytic in nature evokes a more intellectual response-- its engagement factor is derived from the precision, order and detail that characterizes its signature. The Andromeda, by contrast, evokes a more emotional response-- it is less concerned with space and details and more concerned with sweeping you off your feet and casting its spell on you. The u12t stimulates your intellect, the Andromeda tugs at your heart.

"...these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs."

Haven't experienced either myself but love the way you put it. :) Howard Roark U12t meets Holly Golightly Andromeda? Would love to try both soon.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #23,670 of 39,414
The u12t is fundamentally a stage monitor and it goes for a very reference/analytic type signature with a slightly boosted low end. From a technical standpoint-- which is I think what it prioritizes-- it's hard to find a flaw in it. All the minutia of a recording is laid bare with precision within a coherent and incredibly spacious head space. The problem is that at even with the bass boost it's still quite dry-- it's not an IEM that jumps out and grabs your attention or makes you want to tap your feet...but I don't think that's really its aim. By comparison Andromeda sacrifices a bit of the raw detail and separation of the u12t for a more musical and engaging signature. This is not a knock against the u12t which (again) when measured against its aim of being a reference monitor is pretty much flawless. I think ultimately these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs. The u12t, being decidedly reference-like and analytic in nature evokes a more intellectual response-- its engagement factor is derived from the precision, order and detail that characterizes its signature. The Andromeda, by contrast, evokes a more emotional response-- it is less concerned with space and details and more concerned with sweeping you off your feet and casting its spell on you. The u12t stimulates your intellect, the Andromeda tugs at your heart.

I've never heard the u18t but I've heard in some ways that IEM is the u12t cranked up a knotch.

I think if you have a good source and a decent cable, you could be happy with either one tbh. I wouldn't forget their price points as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back