flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #19,713 of 39,414
It depends on just how far you want to upgrade - once you get to the 1000$+ cable upgrades you usually have both the DAP and the IEMs but feel like you want more

There’s nothing inherently wrong with purchasing high end items, every hobby is the same in that respect - my uncle spends hundreds and hundreds to drop 200 grams off his mountain bike - a glass of water less over breakfast would make that same difference lul
Let us not get into this debate again. Everybody can buy whatever they want at whatever price.
And no one can tell them that it is ridiculous.

However anybody can also make simple calculations. PW cables are made of copper wire. It is fairly hard to source copper core from high end speaker cables (apparently) but still not more than a 100$ in material and a few hours of work. You can have overhead all you want and even make believe cable R&D, but still leaves quite a few hundreds (thousands) of % of margin, way higher than any high end DAP of the same price. I mean...a copper cable at the price of a WM1Z, sure makes sense.

Long story short, anyone is allowed to buy it, I could even buy it if I felt like it. But it's still a con.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #19,714 of 39,414
Let us not get into this debate again. Everybody can buy whatever they want at whatever price.

However anybody can also make simple calculations. PW cables are made of copper wire. It is fairly hard to source copper core from high end speaker cables (apparently) but still not more than a 100$ in material and a few hours of work. You can have overhead all you want and even make believe cable R&D, but still leaves quite a few hundreds (thousands) of % of margin, way higher than any high end DAP of the same price. I mean...a copper cable at the price of a WM1Z, sure makes sense.

Long story short, anyone is allowed to buy it, I could even buy it if I felt like it. But it's still a con.
I can’t speak for PW and their margins or material costs, but I have spoken loads to Eric over at Eletech, and the margin they make on their cables is much less than you’d expect

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #19,715 of 39,414

long story short: don't buy it if you think you can make it

some guys in Taiwan bought some Dueland solid core silver wires and turned those into iem cables

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #19,716 of 39,414
I can’t speak for PW and their margins or material costs, but I have spoken loads to Eric over at Eletech, and the margin they make on their cables is much less than you’d expect

That's certainly because they're paying super high IP rights to the descendants of Omer with regards to the cable naming. I sympathize.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #19,722 of 39,414
Does effect audio/eletech extrude their own wires or ask for custom builds?

Keyword: UPOCC

If you see this mentioned in the cable description, the wires are 99% likely to be sourced from Wan Lung in Taiwan.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #19,723 of 39,414
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #19,724 of 39,414
I see. Is there a store within 光華?

Nah, Wan Lung supplies wires to a bunch of cable makers, I’m sure you own a few of them :wink:. They do have a consumer brand called “Neotech”.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #19,725 of 39,414
Quickie unbox and first listen of the InEar ProMission X before the Xmas break :)

https://headfonics.com/2019/12/inear-promission-x-first-contact/

DSCF2490-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back