flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #1,816 of 39,414
IMO the clearest and best sound from ADEL comes from the MAM with the basket all the way in which just so happens to reduce the empty space to a minimum between the basket and membrane. IMO ADEL sound could be greatly improved with some sort of resonance and distortion reduction. Excessive micro resonances would cause precisely the loss of precision in imaging you have mentioned which creates the loss of resolution as well.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,817 of 39,414
The Warbler is at least in the top 9. :astonished:

I'm still secretly hoping that it will appear in the top 5, although now I think I was probably a little too optimistic with that (#5) prediction :grin:
At the time I chose it (as a dark horse), I didn't even know the amount of drivers (apparently 'only' 1BA!) it had inside...

Looking at the (c)iems that have already showed up, it's nonetheless very impressive that it already made it this far

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,818 of 39,414
I'm still secretly hoping that it will appear in the top 5, although now I think I was probably a little too optimistic with that (#5) prediction :grin:
At the time I chose it (as a dark horse), I didn't even know the amount of drivers (apparently 'only' 1BA!) it had inside...

Looking at the (c)iems that have already showed up, it's nonetheless very impressive that it already made it this far
+ 1
Unbelievable
Sem_t_tulon.png

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #1,819 of 39,414
Ain't gonna get Nic-rolled today :D
Dammit, I was just going to link the Rick Ashtley video and 'apologise' for not adding the proper link hehe. Guess you saved the community this time buddy, but I will have my satisfaction at some point.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,820 of 39,414

most of fitear customs have <=5 drivers and have totl sound

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,821 of 39,414
when i saw you putting zeus at no 10, for a few seconds i felt like all those noble fans , i felt like them when seeing katana at no 12

from the depths of my soul a huge nooooooooooooooooooooooooo emerged :gs1000smile:

but then i saw the troll face and i went ''ah got me fooled''

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,822 of 39,414
Dammit, I was just going to link the Rick Ashtley video and 'apologise' for not adding the proper link hehe. Guess you saved the community this time buddy, but I will have my satisfaction at some point.
Not this time Nic, hehe :) I don't know about the Zeus non-ADEL, but I've tried the Zeus XRA with the switch. And for me, the R version was a bit less engaging compared to the XIV. Some reference fans may like it, but I prefer the XIV version better. I imagine that the XIV non-ADEL version is even more engaging to listen to. Since the sound is more concentrated, and less dispersed - reducing some sound qualities.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,823 of 39,414
Rick Ashtley? Please remind me...he was almost as good as Bieber, wasn't he? :wink:
bieber.jpg

(Btw, I really had a good laugh when I noticed this pic made at the Pinkpop festival 2 days ago and no, that's not me in the pic)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,825 of 39,414
@flinkenick , boy was I glad to see your post about switching to XIV from the ADEL. Guess who spent the weekend at my house? My friend's original Zeus-XIV. It was an apple to apple-ADEL comparison, as there were no switches, nor any additional resistors for reduced sensitivity on either IEMs. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with you. In fact, I am revising my review of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL. The difference was not exactly staggering, but definitely noticeable when you listen closely.

I initially used the G1 module on my ADEL Zeus. The non-ADEL Zeus simply has better resolution and instrument focus (timbre, definition and imaging). It seems like, the ADEL version has a bit too much of air, that shrouds the instruments and kills the focus. But where the ADEL Zeus excelled was, in the separation and the open stage.

The mid-range of the ADEL Zeus also loses some sub-section and density, but the thickness is not completely lost as the upper-bass/lower-mids seemed still intact. As a result, the signature has moved from a mid-centric, to a more mid-centric version of reference. The overall tone has also shifted from neutral-warm to a neutral or a neutral-bright.

So I switched to MAM module on my ADEL Zeus, to find out if the Closed-MAM was capable of mimicking the non-ADEL Zeus. The stage closed in and bass presence improved and restored some sub-section to the mid-range. But unfortunately, aspects like resolution and instrument focus, did not improve even on the Closed-MAM. And was still quite different from the non-ADEL Zeus-XIV.

My 2c: If you are buying the ADEL Zeus, and see yourself using with MAM in Closed Position, for improved isolation and bass, better to go with the non-ADEL Zeus.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,827 of 39,414
Hello everybody,

I have a small announcement to make. This might come as a surprise, but I have decided to replace Zeus-XRA with Zeus-XIV (non-ADEL) in the shootout.

Zeus already has a long history in its relatively short lifespan. First from XIV to R, and then adding ADEL. I have been fortunate to try all the different versions. ADEL has its advantages; in the first place because of the scientific claims for ear health, but it also creates a more spacious and airy stage. Unfortunately, it also has quite an impact on the sound. The most profound is the way it affects the bass, both in its low-end extension and overall quantity. As I've tried to explain in the past, the quantity of bass is not a deciding factor for me, at least in terms of impact. It's not that I don't appreciate it, I like bass as much as the next person. But it's not a determining factor, as I like a wide variety of signatures. I just prioritise a number of aspects more than low-end impact, such as tone and overall precision.

And that's where ADEL tech plays a large role; not just in the low-end impact, but in determining the warmth and fullness of the presentation, and accordingly, its overall tone. As a result of its loss of bass, Zeus-ADEL has become a reference monitor, even though it wasn't designed as such. But stripping its warmth simply results in a colder, more analytical presentation. Besides its tone, the ADEL tech affects the density and fullness of the midrange. And in terms of performance, it impacts the resolution, transparency, and precision of imaging. For a certain group, the benefits of ADEL tech is an important reason to jump on board, more important than whatever effect it might have on sound. And then of course there are some that just value its benefits for the stage. But for me, Zeus-ADEL sounds more like a vague resemblance of how it can and maybe should sound.

Zeus-ADEL is of course still a fantastic iem. It performs excellently across the board. It has an exceptionally large, 3D stage, and its transparency is still one of the best. Substituting Zeus XRA for XIV affects a wide range of its individual scores as well as final score, but it does not affect its rank. I will be basing the prizes on my initial scoring of Zeus XRA (which is effectively the same); so this does not affect anybody's predictions.

This is my shootout, and I feel Zeus-XIV deserves a place in it; over Zeus-XRA. So everybody's free to comment, but it's not really up for debate. The only person who's opinion matters in this case is Jack, but he gave the ok. I will write a separate review of Zeus-XRA somewhere soon.

Let me know if there are any questions.
Good choice, after doing a side by side comparison of jack's original work to the new Adel version at RMAF, I preferred the original work as well for the same reasons. The Adel version was really, really good and has its mentioned advantages, but the original was obviously better in SQ which is the most important quality.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,828 of 39,414
"apple to apple-ADEL", classic.

A bit ironic to hear you're glad for me taking a position against ADEL since you have the XIV-ADEL yourself, but thanks for the impressions buddy :)

Thanks buddy. Well, the difference was not huge. But it HAD to go on the record. One guy on the EE thread, fell for the ADEL hype created by a few members, and switched from the original to the ADEL version and ended up regretting it (although he took the drama it a bit too far). But ultimately he switched over to the non-ADEL version.

Also coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, I wanted something airy and so ADEL was a natural choice. And if that weren't enough, I have developed a mild tinnitus in my left ear, over the last few days. I remember Brooko mentioning that, his tinnitus flared up less when he used ADEL IEMs. I guess choosing the ADEL version wan't a bad choice after all.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,829 of 39,414
Thanks buddy. Well, the difference was not huge. But it HAD to go on the record. One guy on the EE thread, fell for the ADEL hype created by a few members, and switched from the original to the ADEL version and ended up regretting it (although he took the drama it a bit too far). But ultimately he switched over to the non-ADEL version.

Also coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, I wanted something airy and so ADEL was a natural choice. And if that weren't enough, I have developed a mild tinnitus in my left ear, over the last few days. I remember Brooko mentioning that, his tinnitus flared up less when he used ADEL IEMs. So I guess choosing the ADEL version paid off after all.
Yeah, I am learning that now too. When you get issues with your ears, ADEL becomes a mighty attractive option and it really does not matter that much if the sound is somewhat affected by it. For myself, I am still waiting to see what my ears do over the coming weeks and if I can use my Ei.3 once they come back from their reshell to universal fit. I have several options in mind with EE ADEL topping the list as the best option, although not necessarily the most realistic because of their high price. Ideally I would pick one of the EE ADEL that would best compliment my Ei.3, which has plenty of bass and fun. So I could go for something more focused on the mids and detail retrieval such as the Athena ADEL (if I understand it correctly).

*sigh* If only I were financially independent. Sadly my dad did not work hard enough for me to scrounge the money off of him, despite my clear instructions when I was younger that I wanted to grow up to be a millionaire (ie. inherit his hard earned cash). :sweat_smile:

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,830 of 39,414

Also coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, I wanted something airy and so ADEL was a natural choice. And if that weren't enough, I have developed a mild tinnitus in my left ear, over the last few days. I remember Brooko mentioning that, his tinnitus flared up less when he used ADEL IEMs. I guess choosing the ADEL version wan't a bad choice after all.
I'm not completely clear about the story, but I read that he went as far as putting a blame on a review? That's harsh. That happening gave me a greater appreciation for putting a disclaimer before every review I wrote. I'm sure it already goes without saying, that any personal impression is relatively subjecitve. But some people.

May I ask, since when did you experience this condition @EagleWings? And do you know what is the cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back