flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #17,342 of 39,414
TL;DR : still preferred VE8 over the three overall. Of the three, U18t was closest to my own preference.

While U18t, Zeus, ex800st and the Trio could not be more different tonally, they all have a certain dynamism, vibrancy and intensity that i crave. Each of them, for different reasons, sounds “alive” in ways that their competitors, proficient though they all are (technically or tonally, superior, even), seem to attenuate.

Okay, onto Wraith, think a wizened, middle aged zeus, gone is the MD/XIV’s intensity and in its place, refinement. I think for many, esp those who could afford it, this is exactly what justifies its cost. Zeus’ hyper realism gave way to a refined, controlled presentation. Compared to Zeus’ lighter, tighter, snappy bass, Wraith is weightier, richer in its presentation, though still far from bass heavy, it cushions the mids as opposed to acting as a foundation to it.

The mids is still the scene stealer, with a less peaky, less “BA timbre” upper mids and a full bodied, the layering is still there and it is still focus of the iem.

Treble is technically superior to zeus, but otoh, it is so clean and refined that it not longer gives me the jolt of intensity that the u18t or my trio, or semi working Zeus deliver in spades.

Overall, it sounds “expensive” and “beautiful” in the best sense of those terms, think Quad ESL speakers powered by quality valve amps. The potential downside is that for some, like myself, even when the music calls for gritty and earthy, Wraith keeps the proceeding “sane”. In some ways, Wraith is more an uber TG334 than uber Zeus.

might further edit and refine my impressions but the above is stream of consciousness take of it.

notes:
liked the U12t a lot more with Final E tips but like many have observed, it could do with a little more mids, a hair more projection.

U18t i liked the most of the three, despite its V shape, there is a vibrancy to its presentation that i really liked. Like my other preferences, it gave me goosebumps whereas the other two didn’t.

Re: vibrancy... think the word i was looking for was immediacy, a sense of effortlessness that in 2 ch, you’d get from highly efficient horn speakers.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #17,345 of 39,414
Hi guys, I'll do up a Head-Fi version soon, but hot off the press is my AAW Canary review.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/07/review-advanced-acousticwerkes-canary/

Canary-01.jpg

TLDR it's my favourite among the new tri-hybrids I've tried.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #17,347 of 39,414
I auditioned a number of cables today as well as the VE Elysium.

For cables I tried the Hansound Venom, EA Cleo, EA Leo II, EA Horus, OC Studio UE X, Hansound Zen 8, OC Studio Monarch, Luminox Night for Night, OC Studio Au X, then the Elysium.

Of the cables, I liked Horus, Cleo, and the Au X, the rest weren't particularly mind blowing to me.

The Horus was the best cable of the ones I heard today, it had the best spatial resolution for sure and impressive width as well. It was the only cable that made me really smile during listening.

The Cleo was a surprise for me. To me it sounded really beautiful, and it rendered notes in a way the Horus doesn't really achieve. It seems to put a microscope on timbre of instruments. Though its spatial performance was not as strong as the Horus, I still enjoyed it and would consider buying one.

I'm not sure why but the Leo II wasn't very interesting to me. It didn't engage me like the Horus and it didn't sound quite as beautiful as the Cleo. It was technically superior to the Cleo though the two are close in stage dimensions. I found it a little soulless.

I concede, the Effect Audio cables have the best ergonomics of any cable I've tried so far, and I can see why they are so popular.

The OC Au X came as a surprise to me. It definitely isn't up to the level of the EA cables but it had refined highs and mids without sacrificing lows and general tone. I'm thinking of purchasing one considering that it isn't too expensive.

The Elysium sounds neutral to me more or less. It sounded like a more resolving A12t with less bass, more mids and treble. It would be a ittle redundant for my collection.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #17,349 of 39,414
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #17,350 of 39,414
I auditioned a number of cables today as well as the VE Elysium.

For cables I tried the Hansound Venom, EA Cleo, EA Leo II, EA Horus, OC Studio UE X, Hansound Zen 8, OC Studio Monarch, Luminox Night for Night, OC Studio Au X, then the Elysium.

Of the cables, I liked Horus, Cleo, and the Au X, the rest weren't particularly mind blowing to me.

The Horus was the best cable of the ones I heard today, it had the best spatial resolution for sure and impressive width as well. It was the only cable that made me really smile during listening.

The Cleo was a surprise for me. To me it sounded really beautiful, and it rendered notes in a way the Horus doesn't really achieve. It seems to put a microscope on timbre of instruments. Though its spatial performance was not as strong as the Horus, I still enjoyed it and would consider buying one.

I'm not sure why but the Leo II wasn't very interesting to me. It didn't engage me like the Horus and it didn't sound quite as beautiful as the Cleo. It was technically superior to the Cleo though the two are close in stage dimensions. I found it a little soulless.

I concede, the Effect Audio cables have the best ergonomics of any cable I've tried so far, and I can see why they are so popular.

The OC Au X came as a surprise to me. It definitely isn't up to the level of the EA cables but it had refined highs and mids without sacrificing lows and general tone. I'm thinking of purchasing one considering that it isn't too expensive.

The Elysium sounds neutral to me more or less. It sounded like a more resolving A12t with less bass, more mids and treble. It would be a ittle redundant for my collection.

the gems in the OC family are their pure copper cables, Orpheus Mk5.5 and the mighty Montana, the U12t + Montana is an epic listen.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #17,351 of 39,414
the gems in the OC family are their pure copper cables, Orpheus Mk5.5 and the mighty Montana, the U12t + Montana is an epic listen.
dagnabit I already ordered an AuX, I'll go out and try the Montana when I have an opportunity, maybe i'll cancel and change my order from what i hear.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #17,352 of 39,414
dagnabit I already ordered an AuX, I'll go out and try the Montana when I have an opportunity, maybe i'll cancel and change my order from what i hear.

I think you should also try Hansound Agni Mk2 and the new "ZenToo". By the way, how do you think the EA Cleo stacks up with Crystal Cable Dream Duet?

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #17,353 of 39,414
Guys, i need some advice with cables, the most expensive cables i have in my collection is an old moon audio silver dragon v1 and pure silver litz that came with atlas, i want to get another copper one with budget around 250$

I found out some options like pw limited with no impressions at all, also pw no. 5 and hansound zen 2.

Which one of them would be better to go with, also if someone has any better recommendations around that budget to check out.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #17,354 of 39,414
I think you should also try Hansound Agni Mk2 and the new "ZenToo". By the way, how do you think the EA Cleo stacks up with Crystal Cable Dream Duet?
The Cleo doesn't match the stage expansion of the CCDD. I don't think anything I've listened to so far really does. The Cleo does have very beautiful tone though, timbres are absolutely gorgeous to listen to.

My budget is 9000 so the only thing that fit was the AuX :cold_sweat: I'll try out both but I believe the Agni is out of my budget

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #17,355 of 39,414
Guys, i need some advice with cables, the most expensive cables i have in my collection is an old moon audio silver dragon v1 and pure silver litz that came with atlas, i want to get another copper one with budget around 250$

I found out some options like pw limited with no impressions at all, also pw no. 5 and hansound zen 2.

Which one of them would be better to go with, also if someone has any better recommendations around that budget to check out.
By copper I assume you want a stereotypical copper sound?

You could always go with Ares ii or ii+. The ii is more of a atypical transparent sound while the ii+ is stereotypical copper. I'm not sure what it was called but OC Studio copper cables have a more bombastic bassy sound. So did an 8 wire from Hansound which had way to much midbass. Not my personal preference but YMMV. What are you pairing with?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back