flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #16,337 of 39,414
I don't think Ken and Caleb's character are relevent to the point, nor is anyone questioning it.

It's more like what they release and how they release it that gives me that impression in particular.

Some points that I feel that is the case:
- Different flavours, I feel that at most they're subtle variations off a central tuning as opposed to something "different"
- Refreshes, why would there be a need to refresh something that was widely accepted? One it reaches end of life, move in, create something new.
- Staggered releases. This makes me feel like they don't have much in the pipe and are simply artificiality prolonging what they have.

huh, any of those “issues” could be applied to a whole host of manufacturers... but i do appreciate that you made clear where you stand.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #16,339 of 39,414
https://time-lover.com/2019/04/19/campfireaudio-newmodels-2019/

while i am not a fan of their tuning, both Ken and Caleb are great guys, and since when did offering different flavours = “mostly marketing”? Io is a replacement for the Nova which was launched 3 years ago and discontinued last year, the rest are refreshes.

Rather than relaunching entire line ups like EE or 64 audio, they just staggered their releases...
Well, I can't speak for the others, but I feel that the Campfire Audio guys are a little too quick to release new products. They may be refreshed IEMs of existing lines, or even NEW products altogether, but they have a schedule that is a little too packed and frenetic.

That is just from an outsider's perspective, of course. Mind you, I'm a huge fan of the Solaris and the Andromeda. :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #16,340 of 39,414
huh, any of those “issues” could be applied to a whole host of manufacturers... but i do appreciate that you made clear where you stand.
They could, but to me at least CA hits all 3. The Andros and Solaris are excellent still.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #16,342 of 39,414
I tried a crystal cable duet from a fellow customer at My IEM today, holy **** that thing is amazing, the soundstage is absolutely huge on it, and the change is very very obvious, like a 20% difference.

Duet and not the dream duet right? The duet is black/white colored and the dream duet is red/black.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #16,344 of 39,414
woops, dream duet, it was red

Yup, the dream duet is the best silver cable I've ever tried. It's pretty much stuck on my A18t now.

Some people like the 8-wire double duet (silver & gold) a little better but I think it's harder to find one to audition.

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #16,345 of 39,414
I also tried the Erlkonig for the first time on setting 2. I think this is the most resolving and technical monitor I've ever heard. For the first time I felt that there was an appreciable amount of detail and extension compared to other iems. It sounds so absolutely correct to my ears, there was a low frequency decay that I never heard before in other iems, and the tone of one certain track sounded spot on to my ears. I find it to be particularly revealing of how good a track is spatially

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #16,346 of 39,414
Yup, the dream duet is the best silver cable I've ever tried. It's pretty much stuck on my A18t now.

Some people like the 8-wire double duet (silver & gold) a little better but I think it's harder to find one to audition.
the price is a little shocking to me though, what kind of magic are they pulling off for a cable to sound like this? do all silver cables sound this fast? I honestly haven't tried many pure silver cables at this point

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #16,347 of 39,414
the price is a little shocking to me though, what kind of magic are they pulling off for a cable to sound like this? do all silver cables sound this fast? I honestly haven't tried many pure silver cables at this point

I think Crystal Cable / Siltech makes the best monocrystal wires but they are definitely very pricey as well...

Do audition more silver cables when you can. Many silver cables are fast but are lean/harsh in some areas. Some are a bit warmer and less harsh but deviate from the strengths of typical silver cables. It's hard to find a cable like the dream duet.

Looking to audition the EA Cleopatra and Hansound Agni 2 at some point in the future.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #16,349 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back