flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #15,498 of 39,414
Long time no see! Reporting in with my review of the Hidition NT-8, the successor to the NT-6 that pursues a similar neutrally toned sound but introduces a little more colour and engagement. It's a vocal-first earphone with great clarity and agility. No doubt a headlining feature is Hidition's introduction of personalised artwork with up to 3 designs per shell. Included are comparisons to Campfire's newest Solaris, the venerable Phantom, Stereopravda's SB-7 and the Noble Katana. You can see my review THL and Everyday Listening, thanks!

colour.jpg
Very nice to see you popping by again and great review Ryan! :) Not a lot attention for Hidition, but it seems like they deserve more.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #15,499 of 39,414
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #15,500 of 39,414
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #15,502 of 39,414
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #15,503 of 39,414
With another manufacturer (VE) joining a line up featuring Sonion double ES tweeters, are we ever going to see IEM with a single ES tweeter?

Was chatting with a European CIEM manufacturer last week who has been working on some ES designs for the last year, and they mentioned that the volume output of the ES drivers is at a much lower level than the comparable BA or DD drivers they need to be paired with. Suspect they are being implemented in pairs or quads to reduce the volume matching issues that would have to be dealt with bottlenecking the other drivers so they don't just drown the tweeters out.

Maybe that's why the new VE needs so much juice?

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #15,504 of 39,414
With another manufacturer (VE) joining a line up featuring Sonion double ES tweeters, are we ever going to see IEM with a single ES tweeter?
Probably not. Since the SPL output of a single one is not enough to work nicely with other drivers. This is a problem with this generation of ES driver

edited: since jackpot responded when I was typing my msg there is no need for it...it's not a double post

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #15,505 of 39,414
Was chatting with a European CIEM manufacturer last week who has been working on some ES designs for the last year, and they mentioned that the volume output of the ES drivers is at a much lower level than the comparable BA or DD drivers they need to be paired with. Suspect they are being implemented in pairs or quads to reduce the volume matching issues that would have to be dealt with bottlenecking the other drivers so they don't just drown the tweeters out.

Maybe that's why the new VE needs so much juice?

Joseph mentioned the same thing. He said the most difficult part of designing the Trinity was compensating for the volume differences between the three driver technologies. Apparently, Shozy's POLA is also a DD+ES hybrid for the same reason.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #15,507 of 39,414
there are still a few new ones around hk as well, i think it’s less in demand than expected.

the fotm in the new market is z1r, used market are currently the u18t and the fourte.

Sweet. What’s the best price one can find for a used U18 in very good condition?

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #15,510 of 39,414
AAW has a few really interesting new releases. I am also very curious about the Nightingale.

That - and their name that conveniently starts with two A's - have put them on the top of my list of booths to visit at CanJam SG. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back