FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #6,136 of 7,931
  I will need to find a dealer for JVC Spiral Dot in Taiwan. Although I might be able to get them through interoffice mail.
Red Gray I did not like, lost too much bass.
Yes over the ear it the only way for me.
Does anyone know which Comply (these and spinfit are readily available) size is appropriate for the FLC8s?

Mine actually arrived sans memory wire.

The JVC spiral dots come in FLC8S size.  I do not think they have sizes per se unlike Comply.

Just a thought for you.  Since you enjoy your bass; you might want to try red black gunmetal (also know as grey I think) instead of red black gold.    You might like the overall outcome better in terms of bass.  I have been going back and forth between red gray gunmetal and red gray gold and have been surprised in the audible pick up in low bass using the gunmetal.  Sure; there is some give up in the high end but you might find the trade off worthwhile to try gunmetal.  Plus it is super easy to swap out the MF/HF filters compared to other filters.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6,137 of 7,931
The JVC spiral dots come in FLC8S size.  I do not think they have sizes per se unlike Comply.

Just a thought for you.  Since you enjoy your bass; you might want to try red black gunmetal (also know as grey I think) instead of red black gold.    You might like the overall outcome better in terms of bass.  I have been going back and forth between red gray gunmetal and red gray gold and have been surprised in the audible pick up in low bass using the gunmetal.  Sure; there is some give up in the high end but you might find the trade off worthwhile to try gunmetal.  Plus it is super easy to swap out the MF/HF filters compared to other filters.

I am using Red-Black-Gunmetal, and the bass is quite good. I personally see no need to change after listening to this trio or filters.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #6,138 of 7,931

I am using Red-Black-Gunmetal, and the bass is quite good. I personally see no need to change after listening to this trio or filters.

In a quick listen I'm not to sure I dig this combo, will give it a longer listen tomorrow at the gym.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,139 of 7,931

In a quick listen I'm not to sure I dig this combo, will give it a longer listen tomorrow at the gym.

The most important thing is a good fit with the tips.  Then you can focus on fine tuning the sound.  

One thing about this unit is that sometimes you discover some interesting sound signatures when not expecting a change.  For example; changing to gunmetal really brings up the bass to my ear.   You might even want to experiment with something like red grey gunmetal instead of red black gunmetal or red black gold.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #6,140 of 7,931
I was just wondering how loud is the harpsichord in your FLC8s?

https://youtu.be/Qlss-UrbK8w
In this record, harpsichord starts to play at 16:35.

The harpsichord is too loud in my FLC8s - louder than violin and cello. I'm using filter combination for classical music. Just checked with HD600 & B&W P5, harpsichord was quietly sitting behind violins and cello. Mine just delivered, so, I'm confused if this is normal or bad.  

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,141 of 7,931
  I was just wondering how loud is the harpsichord in your FLC8s?

https://youtu.be/Qlss-UrbK8w
In this record, harpsichord starts to play at 16:35.

The harpsichord is too loud in my FLC8s - louder than violin and cello. I'm using filter combination for classical music. Just checked with HD600 & B&W P5, harpsichord was quietly sitting behind violins and cello. Mine just delivered, so, I'm confused if this is normal or bad.  

It is more helpful if you precisely state what filters you are using.  I.e. something like grey - grey - gunmetal.

As a general rule, new units are brighter until broken in, and you might want to change out the MF/HF filter.

Personally I live in the worlds of gunmetal gray and gold.   Green is still a bit much for me and my unit is probably getting closer to being broken in. 

Most people get a sound spectrum they like with this unit after a trial and error period.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6,142 of 7,931
So I had the flash that I could repurpose the blue filter which does nothing for me musically.  Turns out that it is a two step mod.
First, pop out the itty bitty (that is a technical term) plastic ring filter.  Second, drill a hole in a specific location.   But Forrest informs me that the drilling on the Blue unit will be hard to do given its material make up.   So I did pop out the plastic filter.   Now it sounds just like the green filter.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #6,143 of 7,931
okay so i have my set of Flc8s exellent IEM's 

Currently running Red Black Bright blue if i wanted more bass is it red Black and gunmetal etc or gold?

Also is there a balanced aftermaket cable for fiio x5 3rd gen and Opus available for Uk thank you

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #6,144 of 7,931
okay so i have my set of Flc8s exellent IEM's 

Currently running Red Black Bright blue if i wanted more bass is it red Black and gunmetal etc or gold?

Also is there a balanced aftermaket cable for fiio x5 3rd gen and Opus available for Uk thank you

Gunmetal will give more bass. Can't help you with the cable.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #6,146 of 7,931

Spot on cheers 

I keep tinkering with the filters will get there eventually  but thank you superb on with the Gunmetal. Again

Right now I am in red - gray - gunmetal.   I alternate between gunmetal and gold.

I think the blue filter is the least popular of them all. 

Red -black - gunmetal and red - black - gold are certainly worth trying in your case.  Fortunately the MF/HF filters are by far the easiest to swap out.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #6,148 of 7,931
  Grey/Red/Gold is my setup of choice so far. Pair that with KZ's star tips and you've got a match made in heaven. 

Thanks for your post.  I just ordered some of those tips from aliexpress.   I also like red - gray - gold a lot also.  Also red - gray - gunmetal.

Brooko just posted his chart showing the FLC8S vs the LZ-A4.   He noted that the LZ-A4 has a winning MF/HF profile.

I know Forrest is super busy right now; but he might want to consider a mid-course update.  Drop the blue filter and offer another filter that addresses some of the issue brought up by Brooko on the LZ-A4 vs. FLC8S comparison  I know I would purchase such a filter as an upgrade.  Also take a look at the cable which is, in my view, way to microphonic.    

Here is what Brooko observed:

1. Sonics - completely subjective, and because of the configuration, up to the user.  As you see in graph below, you can get pretty close between both.  I like the FLC8S bass options better (especially the flatness and slight mid-bass hump).  FLC8SS tends to be more balanced overall, less recession in the mid-range.  But almost all of Forrest's mid/high filters rise sharply after 1 kHz, and peak before 2 kHz.  Some really like that vocal forward sound.  Its nice at first for me - but becomes fatiguing after a while.  If you have no front filter - it changes to a more traditional slope - but then the lower treble is too sharp.

My preference would be for Forrest's bass and lower mid-range with LZ's upper mid-range and lower treble.  Maybe both can improve.

Again - both are great value.  Amazing what you can get for sub $300 nowadays!

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #6,149 of 7,931
I just want to qualify - what I wrote was to do with personal preference, and there is nothing essentially wrong with any of the filter choices offered by either Forrest or LZ.  I simply stated that for my individual preferences, I'd like Forests's signature below 1 kHz and LZ's above it.  But that is just me.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #6,150 of 7,931
  I just want to qualify - what I wrote was to do with personal preference, and there is nothing essentially wrong with any of the filter choices offered by either Forrest or LZ.  I simply stated that for my individual preferences, I'd like Forests's signature below 1 kHz and LZ's above it.  But that is just me.

Brooko, I have been lobbying for some other filter options that are variations on the gunmetal and gold profiles.  I may be taking liberties with your observations, but in my view they would provide additional support for that approach.   I think the Blue filter is pretty much useless and am lobbying for an improvement.   Forrest is aware of my suggestion but having another take on this is helpful.  Yes, what he offers is great.  But time marches on and competition sometimes can spur even greater innovations. Especially when you have a highly tunable platform such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back