FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #6,121 of 7,931
ADEL is different to a vent, if it works as I understand it (and if it works as they say it does, of course). The modules have a membrane, which is semi-permeable. That means that it depends on how much pressure is involved, if it will actually let any air/pressure out.
That makes it - in my own inference, to be clear - almost the opposite of a vent, which will relieve pressure only up to a point (which may not be sufficient even without playing any sound for ears with higher pressure in them at rest, for whatever reason).

I believe the idea of the MAM in particular - and I do have a set of these, for my U4-SE - is that you can adjust the pressure level inside the system to match the natural pressure of your ears, which 1) won't feel much like a seal (and it doesn't, when I decide to go for the 'sweet spot') and 2) is the most ideal setting for relieving excess pressure. I'm pretty sure they don't claim this is fool-proof, you can still over-do the volume and pressure from that, but I do believe the effect is beneficial from my own usage. 

To be fair, I also think the difference ADEL makes is much more pronounced with sealed IEMs; I find myself struggling with sealed BA IEMs but I'm using the FLC8s right now with no problems (if I were intending to listen for a lot longer right now, I might change to the U4). I think the particular use-case where it will have the greatest effect is for those using CIEMs for reasonably long periods. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #6,122 of 7,931
Are the filters in place and secure?  Some people have had an issue with the tiny washers becoming dislodged.

Yes I check and change all the filtres but the problem is still here

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #6,123 of 7,931
I've found that I like an unconventional filter configuration; red, black and gold. As a bassist I like the heft it gives to the bass and slam to the drums. 
Learning curve to get a good fit is challenging, they don't seem to sit in the ear as nicely as my Mee Pinnacles. I've tried many different tips and found the pre-installed clear mediums to be my favorite. 
Tips on getting a snug fit would be appreciated. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #6,124 of 7,931
  I've found that I like an unconventional filter configuration; red, black and gold. As a bassist I like the heft it gives to the bass and slam to the drums. 
Learning curve to get a good fit is challenging, they don't seem to sit in the ear as nicely as my Mee Pinnacles. I've tried many different tips and found the pre-installed clear mediums to be my favorite. 
Tips on getting a snug fit would be appreciated. 

Fit for any IEM is critical.  With a poor fit for your ear, nothing will sound quite right especially the bass.  So tip selection matters a great deal.

Personally I like the JVC Spiral Dot with the FLC8s. Actually I like the Spiral Dot with most wide bore IEM units.  Something to consider.

Red - Gray - Gray or Red -Gray - Gold is very popular.   NMatheis talks about Red - Black - Gold in his review for those who really want some serious bass.  So that is not a highly unusual combination. However, it does imply that a good fit for bass response is important for you.

Try having the cable go around your ear if you have not already.  Makes the units seal into the ear a bit better.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #6,126 of 7,931
I emailed LMUE about the original 8S cable like five days ago and never heard back. :/

It's my first contact with their company, so this #feelsbadman.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #6,127 of 7,931
Try grey-none-grey

Noted. I guess I will just have to stick to gray/gray/gold and be happy!

I emailed LMUE about the original 8S cable like five days ago and never heard back. :/

I'd send another one, as they or may respond the same day. Glitches happen. They have an excellent reputation for customer service, which is can attest to first hand.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #6,129 of 7,931

LMUE's owner Teo is right in the middle of trying to launch two new house-brand IEM, so he's a wee bit busy right now. Email him again and be a bit patient :wink:

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #6,130 of 7,931
So I was browsing through some older posts, and there was quite a bit of discussion of the gold vs blue filter.  I am sort of curious why that was the discussion point instead of gunmetal vs gold.

Could somebody clue me in?

Also, there was a suggestion by Forrest that the blue could be modded a bit.   Anybody try that?  I would be interested in landing somewhere between gunmetal and gold.

I keep alternating lately between red - gray - gold and red - gray - gunmetal.

Tips are generally the large size of the JVC spiral dots. I thought I was a ML but I have discovered for me that there is more ample bass with the L size.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #6,132 of 7,931
Some were calling the gunmetal "gunmetal blue". I wonder if the really meant "gunmetal blue" instead of blue...

That makes a lot of sense. 

So has anybody tried to mod the "other" blue filter?   The one that is actually blue.  It sounds pretty muddy to me, so doing some surgery on it might be fun.  

For reference, this is from a post by Forrest a while back:

"If you don't like the blue nozzle, and if possilble, you can enlarge the hole at the side to 1mm and get rid of the filter inside, then you'll get a gold nozzle with brighter treble. "

Now I must admit, I am not quite clear what Forrest is getting at here but if there is a way to get somewhere between gunmetal and gold it would be great.

Oh, its still me by the way.  Just changed the picture.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #6,133 of 7,931
  Fit for any IEM is critical.  With a poor fit for your ear, nothing will sound quite right especially the bass.  So tip selection matters a great deal.

Personally I like the JVC Spiral Dot with the FLC8s. Actually I like the Spiral Dot with most wide bore IEM units.  Something to consider.

Red - Gray - Gray or Red -Gray - Gold is very popular.   NMatheis talks about Red - Black - Gold in his review for those who really want some serious bass.  So that is not a highly unusual combination. However, it does imply that a good fit for bass response is important for you.

Try having the cable go around your ear if you have not already.  Makes the units seal into the ear a bit better.

I will need to find a dealer for JVC Spiral Dot in Taiwan. Although I might be able to get them through interoffice mail.
Red Gray I did not like, lost too much bass.
Yes over the ear it the only way for me.
Does anyone know which Comply (these and spinfit are readily available) size is appropriate for the FLC8s?

better still snip away that memory wire..many of us have done that long ago.

Mine actually arrived sans memory wire.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #6,134 of 7,931
I will need to find a dealer for JVC Spiral Dot in Taiwan. Although I might be able to get them through interoffice mail.
Red Gray I did not like, lost too much bass.
Yes over the ear it the only way for me.
Does anyone know which Comply (these and spinfit are readily availa ble) size is appropriate for the FLC8s?

Mine actually arrived sans memory wire.

Mine too. It seems that forresthas listened to feedback and snipped em off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back