FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #6,016 of 7,931
After using nmatheis's pair with a Shanling M5, I was sold, bought the FLC8S, and fell for them. Quite a nice unit. Running on my iPhone 6+ with the UP, I'm pretty happy with this as a to go Unit.

Stock tips, believe it or not. I think I said this, but with repeating to me, this is the first pair of IEM's with which I can tolerate the silicons. I'm happy as is, and will also be thinning my heard as a result. Probably send my beloved P1 to some lucky soul. Man I like the FLC8S....these are more than tolerable while I wait for my Aria...
told ya better than the pinnacle p1 way back. It better than Nova too. FLC8s is so far the best iem below 500 usd. Extremely regretful selling them

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #6,018 of 7,931
told ya better than the pinnacle p1 way back. It better than Nova too. FLC8s is so far the best iem below 500 usd. Extremely regretful selling them

Oh please - when making these sorts of statements, can you add an "in my opinion".  I'd personally take the Nova, the ES2, the Alclair Curve and the q-Jays over the FLC8s.  Its a fantastic IEM (versatile and very cost effective) - but best under $500 is subjective - and for my tastes there are better out there 
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #6,019 of 7,931
Oh please - when making these sorts of statements, can you add an "in my opinion".  I'd personally take the Nova, the ES2, the Alclair Curve and the q-Jays over the FLC8s.  Its a fantastic IEM (versatile and very cost effective) - but best under $500 is subjective - and for my tastes there are better out there :wink:  

I couldn't help but notice that every now and then you'd bring up the alcair curve as a measuring stick vis-à-vis other iems. curious how that compares to the flc8s, for comparisons sake... ( just to be on topic lol)

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #6,020 of 7,931
Curve has the more traditional slight dip at 1 kHz, nice transition to upper mids, and good treble extension with a small peak at 7kHz (Nic probably wouldn't be a fan).  What it doesn't have is the bump between 1-2 kHz the FLC8S has (which can't be removed by changing filters). Its the only thing on the FLC8S I'm not overly crazy about - and hence why I often wore it with no treble/HF filter (removed the bump).

The curve is probably one of the most under-rated but brilliantly tuned IEMs in my personal collection.  I've often thought about going back and doing a retrospective review on it.  The longer I've owned it (and yes it is mine) - the more I've come to appreciate it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #6,021 of 7,931
  Curve has the more traditional slight dip at 1 kHz, nice transition to upper mids, and good treble extension with a small peak at 7kHz (Nic probably wouldn't be a fan).  What it doesn't have is the bump between 1-2 kHz the FLC8S has (which can't be removed by changing filters). Its the only thing on the FLC8S I'm not overly crazy about - and hence why I often wore it with no treble/HF filter (removed the bump).

The curve is probably one of the most under-rated but brilliantly tuned IEMs in my personal collection.  I've often thought about going back and doing a retrospective review on it.  The longer I've owned it (and yes it is mine) - the more I've come to appreciate it.

flippin' cheap, too: new US250..
well 'cheap' meaning against the current trend of $1-2k iems
https://alclair.com/monitorshop/curvedual/

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,024 of 7,931
  Looks very...uncanny...something like alien technology. Makes me feel nauseous just by looking at someone wearing it 
confused_face.gif

Also most comfortable IEM I've ever worn.  Literally disappears.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #6,025 of 7,931
When it comes to good noise isolasjon in my ears(large). Take some Comply tips and cut out the bores. Then put them on the FLC8. Then put on some Sony EP-TC50. Flip up the foam silicon of the EP-TC50 and use some silicon "sleep in peace" (purchased at a pharmacy) that you roll as a thin sausage and put on the outside of the bore of the EP-TC50, then flip the EP-TC50 back on.:kissing_heart:

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #6,027 of 7,931

I must say that I thought the Pinnacle P1 was really great with the exception that I could not get sufficient bass for my taste.  I suspect it was a fit issue; I had a similar issue with the IT03.

I have no issues getting a good fit with the FLC8S.  Spiral dots for me.

I have yet to hear anything that I like better than the FLC8S at the sub $1000 price point; but then again I have not heard the units Brooko was referring to. 

Then again, my taste runs somewhere between "reference" and "fun" whereas I perceive Brooko preferring a more classic "reference" sound signature.  I tried his preferred FLC8S tuning (minus various filters) and it had too much treble for my taste.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #6,028 of 7,931
I must say that I thought the Pinnacle P1 was really great with the exception that I could not get sufficient bass for my taste.  I suspect it was a fit issue; I had a similar issue with the IT03.

I have yet to hear anything that I like better than the FLC8S at the sub $1000 price point; but then again I have not heard the units Brooko was referring to. 

Then again, my taste runs somewhere between "reference" and "fun" whereas I perceive Brooko preferring a more classic "reference" sound signature.  I tried his preferred FLC8S tuning (minus various filters) and it had too much treble for my taste.

Brooko is a big fan of bright iems, though he has a good ear for "natural" sounding iems, hence him recommending me Earbuds like Zen2.0 (can't wait to get them shortly).

Got to admit that the pinnacle totally surprised me with its immersive soundstage (the 3d "middle of it all" experience on select recordings). Though the FLC8S just brings this consistently without fail.

just curious in hearing what happens next...

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6,029 of 7,931
Tested a couple combinations today.  Was using Red/Grey/Gold for a very long time.  Green was too hot for me in the upper end, but Red/Grey/Grey felt.... weird.  All Grey also removed that sweet extension down to 20hz, reminds me of BA bass (not a good thing).  Finally settled on Red/Clear/Grey.  Sounds very neutral, but while the low end moved down in level a tad it still is very clear and keeps the rumble I know and love.  Highly recommend giving Red/Clear/Grey a shot.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #6,030 of 7,931

same here. It is unbeatable really below 500 in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back