FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #7,606 of 7,931
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #7,607 of 7,931
Anyone know how these compare to the massdrop plus and dunu falcon-c

Well, Falcon-C is much less expensive, not as configurable, it is a pretty nice all-rounder, but doesn't have any of the bells and whistles that FLC 8N sports. FLC 8N can have the same signature as Falcon-C, with the right combination of filters, but it will have more detail, a larger soundstage, more instrument separation. But this is normal, for a more expensive IEM (more than 50% more expensive compared to Falcon-C's price).

I'd say, if you like Falcon-C, FLC 8N is a fairly nice upgrade overall. Of course, there's also the configurable sound which is the icing on the cake when you get FLC 8N.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #7,608 of 7,931
I'm actually wondering what IEM to get tbh. THe IEMs on my shortlist are: Massdrop Plus, FLC8N/D, DUNU Falcon-C and Sony MDR-EX800ST. What do you guys think?

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #7,609 of 7,931
I'm actually wondering what IEM to get tbh. THe IEMs on my shortlist are: Massdrop Plus, FLC8N/D, DUNU Falcon-C and Sony MDR-EX800ST. What do you guys think?

Think about it this way, FLC 8N can do the signatures of all others, and it sounds in details and overall quality like a 350USD IEM.

Falcon-C is a 220 USD IEM, if you have double its price to invest, then the FLC are worth the jump, otherwise, Falcon-C is pretty great already.

I haven't heard the other two (?)

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #7,610 of 7,931
Does anyone know if this will work to plug balanced FLC8s cable into 3.5mm SE source?
I bought them with the balanced cable but would also like to use them on non-balanced sources, shame a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor isn't included, especially as the other adaptors included all have 3.5mm socket which are pretty useless if you choose the balanced cable option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BL35-...7TWRQS8ZJQH&psc=1&refRID=NVT44X8W17TWRQS8ZJQH

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #7,611 of 7,931
Does anyone know if this will work to plug balanced FLC8s cable into 3.5mm SE source?
I bought them with the balanced cable but would also like to use them on non-balanced sources, shame a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor isn't included, especially as the other adaptors included all have 3.5mm socket which are pretty useless if you choose the balanced cable option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BL35-...7TWRQS8ZJQH&psc=1&refRID=NVT44X8W17TWRQS8ZJQH
Yes, that would let you plug in to standard 3.5 mm TRS sources.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #7,613 of 7,931

you can consider to use a short adapter (no wire, or minimal length wire, less resistance) instead, like:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...le-Jack-Audio-Stereo-Adapter/32865122372.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32860629855.html
https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-2-5mm-trrs-3-5mm-trs-adapter/
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...nch-connector-gold-plated-compact-right-angle

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,614 of 7,931
Thanks csglinux.
Excuse my ignorance but would a galaxy s8 phone be considered a standard TRS source?
No problem :) Sure, a Galaxy S8 would be a standard TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) 3.5 mm analogue phono jack socket source.
Thanks for the links - and please don't take this personally - but I wouldn't recommend these short/non-wired adapters. I've had more than a couple of bad experiences with the Eidolic adapters (poor soldering and bad connections inside) and any adapters like these will put more strain on the headphone socket.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #7,615 of 7,931
No problem :) Sure, a Galaxy S8 would be a standard TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) 3.5 mm analogue phono jack socket source.

Thanks for the links - and please don't take this personally - but I wouldn't recommend these short/non-wired adapters. I've had more than a couple of bad experiences with the Eidolic adapters (poor soldering and bad connections inside) and any adapters like these will put more strain on the headphone socket.

Thanks, Fiio one ordered. :ksc75smile:
I did look at a few short ones but decided I'd probably damage the socket with it when it was in my pocket

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #7,616 of 7,931
then i've been lucky with my 2 eidolic units. solders look ok when measuring resistance (L+,R+,L-,R-, in mΩ); hope they last:
eidolic 10.3/10.3 9.4/9.3 1.9/1.2 2.7/3
astrotec 15.5 14.8 2.4 3.7
alo audio 8 10 15.5 8.2
okcsc (average) 13 14 12 13

thought that L adapters would help with jack stress. i'll take care of it anyway, thanks for the advice.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #7,618 of 7,931
If anyone is still searching for the right tips, check these out.

They're working real well for me. First tips I've found that give you all the low end without giving up something up top. Perfect fit on the nozzle.

Many people do like those, it's a good heads-up.

IF anybody has large ear canals, OTOH, be aware that even the L size won't be able to provide a fit (it does not, for me) - so if you know that you habitually have problems with finding large enough tips to get a seal (I do :)), most likely these are not for you, unfortunately. On the plus side, the monetary cost to just try them is very small :) .

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #7,619 of 7,931
Hi everyone, just got a pair of FLC8s upon a friend's advice (silver upgrade cable included) and they do indeed sound wonderful. Lots of tryouts in various scenarios, eventually I settled for red, gray and gold on clear silicone tips - which I later found out it's the typical preferred choice for most people. Interestingly, while I did most of my tuning ventures on the black silver upgrade cable, everything clicked only when I switched back to the blue stock copper cable – more stage depth, air, dimensionality and effortlessness. Now I get what all the fuss is about, the music coming out of the FLC8s is quite impressive, either out of my Mojo or even straight out of my iPhone 6!

Already did a lot of reading here, but I just wanted to make sure: it looks like the FLC8s use a proprietary connector that doesn't match any of the known aftermarket upgrade options out there, right? I'd love to venture into some quality copper options (e.g. Linum, or Forza), albeit the stock cable is already quite impressive to my ears. At the same time I wonder if the silver cable needs some breaking-in, because to me it sounded flat and somewhat unbalanced (although I should probably say that I most often find myself preferring high purity copper for all of my audio cabling needs).

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #7,620 of 7,931
@angpsi From memory, FLC 8s use a 0.74mm 2 pin connector - means that you SHOULD be fine to try the 0.75mm ones (there are a few out there, smaller than the standard 0.78mm ones), but yeah, generally speaking you're better off with using FLC cables :) (that 1mm difference, over time, will mean you may not be able to go back to the stock cables, say, especially if you switch multiple times - while 0.78mm cables simply won't fit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back