FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #7,638 of 7,931
Are there any reviews for the BGVP DM6 other than the "bad boy"? I felt like I was poorly steered by him into the HiBy R3 and generally look for more confirmation when it comes to his picks. Plus his meandering reviews drive me nuts.

I am working on a review on DM6 at the moment. they are pretty great. Overall, they are much better than I expected, a bit more resolution than you'd expect, but nowhere near the configurability of FLC8N for example.

Get the bgvp dm6 ... Love them

This is a FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8S thread, I also like BGVP DM6, but I'm not sure how are they related to FLC8 series :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #7,642 of 7,931
Anybody know if the n model is much better than s. S is a lot cheaper in the UK

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #7,643 of 7,931
Anybody know if the n model is much better than s. S is a lot cheaper in the UK

I wrote a review of the FLC8n to address that exact question. You'll find it amongst the other FLC8n reviews here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flc-technology-flc-8n.23219/reviews#reviews

Search that page in your browser for this text: "Is It Worth Upgrading?".

I've also recently made some newer (these are raw, uncompensated) measurement comparisons using a 711 coupler with one small modification to the FLC8n - I put two gunmetal filters (stacked one on top of the other) in the 8n filter tube. I find this, along with SpinFit Cp100 tips, takes the edge off the otherwise fairly prominent lower treble. It still has a bit of a peak at 9 kHz, but it's less than before. 8n looks like it has a little more upper treble (+10 kHz) than 8s, but it's really minimal (if you normalized based on OASPL, they're pretty much the same in that region, at least with my filters and eartips):

flc.png

Distortion levels are pretty much the same on both, but in terms of FR, the 8s and 8n are two quite different headphones. The two biggest differences are:

1) 8n has a lot more bass than the 8s. Even if you use the most aggressive bass settings (LF and ULF filters) in the 8s, you won't reach the levels of bass that you get in the 8n. So, depending on your preferences, you could say that the 8s is more neutral (although it's still a relatively bright-sounding headphone) or the 8n is more fun. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with either signature - it's just personal preference.
2) 8n is physically smaller. 8s is already small, but the 8n is even tinier and impressively ergonomic - it's really comfortable.

I should probably have lavished more praise on the 8n than I did in my review. I think Forrest was upset that I didn't gush more :wink: The fact is they're both outstanding headphones whose SQ goes way beyond their price point. They're both outstanding value, and honestly, I think you'd be happy with either one. I use them both regularly along with SE846, Xelento, KSE1500 and my over-ear cans, Sennheiser's HD800S. 8s and 8n aren't left in the dust by any of these $1000+ headphones.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #7,644 of 7,931
CSG-- I must admit I interpreted your review of the 8N as being a little less than favorable. Your comments above seem much more positive than my impression of the original review.

I have the 8S and the 8D. They seem remarkably similar to me; I don't think the bass on the 8D is that much more than the 8S. That is an apples to apples comparison as I have the 8S tuned red - grey for the low end. I also use gunmetal as my preferred HF filter.

Do we know more about the new series yet?

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #7,645 of 7,931
CSG-- I must admit I interpreted your review of the 8N as being a little less than favorable. Your comments above seem much more positive than my impression of the original review.

I have the 8S and the 8D. They seem remarkably similar to me; I don't think the bass on the 8D is that much more than the 8S. That is an apples to apples comparison as I have the 8S tuned red - grey for the low end. I also use gunmetal as my preferred HF filter.

Do we know more about the new series yet?
Then you read it correctly :wink: My initial impressions of the 8n weren't entirely favorable as I didn't like the additional energy in the lower treble. It's still highly questionable whether the 8n is worth more than the 8s. What changed for me since then is I figured out I could fit two gunmetal filters in the 8n gunmetal filter tube. This takes the edge off the lower treble without completely killing it (like the blue filter would).

I'm not sure about your 8d - I've never heard that model, but Forrest says it should measure almost the same as 8n with RGG filters. With an apples to apples comparison using the same filters, my 8n are clearly very different from (more v-shaped than) my 8s, even accounting for the typical unit variations.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the newer models.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #7,646 of 7,931
For me personally, the sony xba-n3 displaced the flc8d in the price range. The thing that bothered me the most with the 8d was the boosted low end, which isn't as tight and controlled a I would have liked. Now after the sony, the treble bothers me a bit too. After that I got the aaw a3h v2, which also has its pros and cons in comparison to the flc. This month I also managed to snag a pair of the updated vsonic gr09 through a taobao agent, so hopefully next week I'll have it for comparison too. I guess that given this a flc thread, the new flc d41, might also be a contender in the price range - I kinda contemplated on buying one through the taobao agent, but the vsonic was too sweet of a deal to miss. LMUE said they'll be carrying the new models but they have no ETA

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #7,647 of 7,931
CSG--Can you post a photo that shows how you created your double gunmetal filter?
By the way, I do appreciate your candor when writing reviews. Actually will go a bit further and say I like your reviews in general.

I really think that Forrest should consider upping his game with the HF filters. He should, in my opinion, ditch the green and blue filters and offer more variations on the gold and gunmetal similar to what you have created.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #7,650 of 7,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back