FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #7,576 of 7,931
Please take the following measurements with the large pinch of salt they deserve. There are lots of caveats here:

1) I'm using a Vibro Veritas coupler, which doesn't accurately match the transfer impedance of your inner-ear. (Neither does a proper 711-compliant coupler, but at least there's some kind of standard there.) Absolute values won't match those from other measurement rigs. Deltas might not match perfectly either, but the trends should match.
2) I have mic compensation curves to account for my mic's lower sensitivity in the lows and highs.
3) I use a diffuse-field compensation correction, simply because I'm used to looking at the data that way. But it's true that all these compensation curves are somewhat arbitrary.
4) I'm using default stock white FLC eartips. The stock black FLC eartips are within measurement tolerance of the white for me. (That doesn't mean they'll be that way for you though - more pliable material might seat differently in your ear canals.) As for SpinFits - I do like them and use them a lot. They're slightly more comfortable for me, but @Flcforrestwei has pointed out that there are differences in the treble (the wider/flared bore of the FLC tips boosts the treble around 10+ kHz). I was a skeptic about this, until I checked. Of course, @Flcforrestwei was right :)
5) I'm using a StarTech sound card for the A->D and a Hugo 2 for D->A from REW.
6) Input power was the same for all cases, output normalized at 1 kHz, but note that some of the FRs have a bit of a bump around 1 kHz, which can throw off the OASPLs somewhat.

There's no right or wrong here, it just depends on personal preferences and your own ears - and recordings. My take on the above is that the modified gold (removing the damper in the gold filter) results in essentially a gold mid-range and a green-filter-like upper register.

Something interesting I figured from this... For a long time I've been wanting something between Gunmetal and Blue. You can sort of do that by taking those dampers from the gold filter and shoving them into the gunmetal (on top of the existing gunmetal filters), to create what I've called a "Double-Filtered-Gunmetal". I've put the results on a separate graph below so things don't look too cluttered:

I like this :) It makes the resulting FR more like that of the KSE1500 (which, for those of you that don't know, is the current best-sounding HP on the planet - at least to my ears). This double-filtered gunmetal seems to work great in the FLC8N too, which has more energy than the FLC8S above 10 kHz. I'll need to spend more time listening to this, but this has definitely got me a whole lot more excited about the FLC8N (which I initially felt had a bit too much energy in the lower treble for my ears). At least it's another option to try on top of the 36 or 37 tuning options you already had :)

P.S. I don't think there's a right or wrong with the eartip choice either (i.e., SpinFit vs FLC tip). Sometimes you might want a little more treble and sometimes you might not.
Treble has not right and wrong, but treble extension( 13K to 14K Hz ) is the most valuable.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #7,578 of 7,931
Please take the following measurements with the large pinch of salt they deserve. There are lots of caveats here:

1) I'm using a Vibro Veritas coupler, which doesn't accurately match the transfer impedance of your inner-ear. (Neither does a proper 711-compliant coupler, but at least there's some kind of standard there.) Absolute values won't match those from other measurement rigs. Deltas might not match perfectly either, but the trends should match.
2) I have mic compensation curves to account for my mic's lower sensitivity in the lows and highs.
3) I use a diffuse-field compensation correction, simply because I'm used to looking at the data that way. But it's true that all these compensation curves are somewhat arbitrary.
4) I'm using default stock white FLC eartips. The stock black FLC eartips are within measurement tolerance of the white for me. (That doesn't mean they'll be that way for you though - more pliable material might seat differently in your ear canals.) As for SpinFits - I do like them and use them a lot. They're slightly more comfortable for me, but @Flcforrestwei has pointed out that there are differences in the treble (the wider/flared bore of the FLC tips boosts the treble around 10+ kHz). I was a skeptic about this, until I checked. Of course, @Flcforrestwei was right :)
5) I'm using a StarTech sound card for the A->D and a Hugo 2 for D->A from REW.
6) Input power was the same for all cases, output normalized at 1 kHz, but note that some of the FRs have a bit of a bump around 1 kHz, which can throw off the OASPLs somewhat.

There's no right or wrong here, it just depends on personal preferences and your own ears - and recordings. My take on the above is that the modified gold (removing the damper in the gold filter) results in essentially a gold mid-range and a green-filter-like upper register.

Something interesting I figured from this... For a long time I've been wanting something between Gunmetal and Blue. You can sort of do that by taking those dampers from the gold filter and shoving them into the gunmetal (on top of the existing gunmetal filters), to create what I've called a "Double-Filtered-Gunmetal". I've put the results on a separate graph below so things don't look too cluttered:

I like this :) It makes the resulting FR more like that of the KSE1500 (which, for those of you that don't know, is the current best-sounding HP on the planet - at least to my ears). This double-filtered gunmetal seems to work great in the FLC8N too, which has more energy than the FLC8S above 10 kHz. I'll need to spend more time listening to this, but this has definitely got me a whole lot more excited about the FLC8N (which I initially felt had a bit too much energy in the lower treble for my ears). At least it's another option to try on top of the 36 or 37 tuning options you already had :)

P.S. I don't think there's a right or wrong with the eartip choice either (i.e., SpinFit vs FLC tip). Sometimes you might want a little more treble and sometimes you might not.

Lol "Double Filtered Gunmetal" i like that term :thumbsup:

I am back to stock configuration now. Grey grey gold with stock white tips. Modded gold was really enjoyable with detail oriented signature but was too intense for long listening sessions.

I now came to conclusion that best sound should be relaxing and calming. If you can't go hours with it then it's not worth it. Hence came back to complete factory settings.

I like SpinFits for it's comfort but it boost mids at the cost of end to end extension(really noticeable in comparison with stock black tips). This makes the signature little aggressive imo. Stock white tips goes well with gold filter.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #7,579 of 7,931
guys:
weird question i know but i have to ask:
are there any extension chords or such one can use for these cans?

reason: i'm using this setup for tv watching:
oled optical out to chord mojo then to cans...but optical cable is a bit short..and the fls 8s braided (blue stock)
cable is not very long to begin with....are there any cable 'extension' chords or such that would work?
other option is to just buy a longer optical cable....

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #7,580 of 7,931
guys:

oled optical out to chord mojo then to cans...but optical cable is a bit short..and the fls 8s braided (blue stock)
cable is not very long to begin with....are there any cable 'extension' chords or such that would work?

Go to your local music store. I've bought a meter's worth of length for an interconnect. That might work.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #7,581 of 7,931
guys:

guess optical (digital) cable would support long distances better than cables carrying analog signal; less chance of degradation.
anyway, if you choose stereo cable extender for flc8s, i use to get mines at ghentaudio (affordable well made quality interconnect cables).

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #7,584 of 7,931
We Will launch Dynamic Driver IEM series Next week, we ' ll launch 5 models This time, price arrnged from 70 to 700 usd, products Will available in international market at the beginning of Next month.
Sounds interesting! Is there any chance of seeing some comparative frequency response graphs for these 5 new models?!? Please @Flcforrestwei !

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,586 of 7,931
This is my first pair of +200$ IEM and paired with my LG G6 (Quad dac version) I'm amazed by the SQ!
After 1 week of use, the only drawback is the fit...can't seem to get the right eartip :sweat:
Try SpinFit Cp100 tips. They're smaller and rounder and they never try to fight their way out of my ear canals :) They do take just a tiny fraction off the treble, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as the FLC8S is already quite a bright-sounding headphone.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #7,589 of 7,931
This is my first pair of +200$ IEM and paired with my LG G6 (Quad dac version) I'm amazed by the SQ!
After 1 week of use, the only drawback is the fit...can't seem to get the right eartip :sweat:

Look at Spinfit CP145. It's better suited for large bore iem like flc8s. CP100 is for small bore iems and is older model between the two. I have both.

Spinfits will solve all your fit related problems. You can also try Comply Tx400 if you don't mind foam tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back