FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #6,722 of 7,931
Hey everyone... just checking on something..

I just got a null Audio cable with the UE TF10 connectors ... is the orientation the same? I mean the red dot on the new cable pairs with the R on the earphone housing ... or are the +\- pins/polesreversed?

The build quality on this cable is great

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #6,723 of 7,931
Hey everyone... just checking on something..

I just got a null Audio cable with the UE TF10 connectors ... is the orientation the same? I mean the red dot on the new cable pairs with the R on the earphone housing ... or are the +\- pins/polesreversed?

The build quality on this cable is great
The UE connectors aren't quite the right size. They're slightly too thick. You'll need to file them down slightly or you'll permanently damage the sockets on your FLC8S.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #6,724 of 7,931
Already handled the filing ... just double checking if the red dot on the new cable should line up with the R on the earphone housing or should it be flipped because the pin +\- poles are wired differently.

I guess I have it correct because it sounds just fine

BTW: These tips seem to last a bit longer than the comply ... enjoying them even during nyc subway commute

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B01BHD9B9O/ref=mw_dp_cr

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6,725 of 7,931
Already handled the filing ... just double checking if the red dot on the new cable should line up with the R on the earphone housing or should it be flipped because the pin +\- poles are wired differently.

I guess I have it correct because it sounds just find

BTW: These tips seem to last a bit longer than the comply ... enjoying them even during nyc subway commute

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B01BHD9B9O/ref=mw_dp_cr

You can check your polarity with the following test tracks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yea82nzkh4q70nl/Polarity_Check_Center.flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w03gp5oqadv544/Polarity_Check_Twisted.flac?dl=0

If your polarity matches L and R, then the first (center) track should sound like the noise is coming from directly between your ears, and the second (twisted) track should sound like it's coming from outside your head. This is the first thing I check after having soldered up a new cable :wink:

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,727 of 7,931
The UE connectors aren't quite the right size. They're slightly too thick. You'll need to file them down slightly or you'll permanently damage the sockets on your FLC8S.

No two UE TF10 after market connectors are the same though. I have one set that were very tight to put on the blue FLC8S and am afraid to remove them now. Another NA set I purchased later has a 2 pin connector that fit almost perfectly on the red FLC8S.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #6,728 of 7,931
It stretches the sockets out just enough so that the original cable fits noticeably looser. I went to aftermarket cables a couple years ago, and other than the stretching issue, I haven't experienced any negative effects. FWIW - not that you were asking me. :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6,729 of 7,931
May I ask how?

Will this negatively affect the IEMs over time or is this only a concern if you're going to change back to cables with the proper sized pins?

I used a nail file (or at least a small fragment of one) .. carefully sanding ... not much was removed ...

Afterwards the cables just popped in ... this cable is much much better then stock or the flc8s upgrade cable ...I will probably not have to change the Null Audio cable for a very long time

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #6,730 of 7,931
I don't think I'm the best person to talk to about the Andromedas. They're good IEMs, but they didn't work for me. They do a great job of pushing the resonance peak out beyond 10 kHz, but what seems to dominate for me is the mid-bass bloat. Some love it - but all it does for me is provide a greater appreciation of the low-pass filter in the SE846 and the front and back tunable DD vent ports on the FLC8S. I love my rumbly sub-bass; I'm not so keen when it bleeds into the lower mids. And you'll have to love the tuning that CA gave it, because you can't change anything but your eartips! Both measurements below used CP100-M SpinFits.

You can see the main problem with the Andromedas right here:

Boxy, metallic housings with short, stubby nozzles. A lot of people are going to end up fighting the ergonomics. My good buddy, @moedawg140, really likes the Andromedas' sound so much that he has pursued multiple attempts at custom tips in order to get a good fit and seal. (I don't think he's been entirely successful with any so far though?) Moe had to have some emergency surgery recently:

https://www.gofundme.com/maurice-and-suzzettes-medical-fund

But I'm hoping he'll be well enough to jump back on this thread soon and give you his thoughts on the Andromeda.

Just FYI, Ken at Campfire Audio is working on some new IEMs that look like slightly re-tuned Andromedas with (mercifully!) longer, slightly thinner nozzles. I had a couple of opportunities to hear some prototypes and they sounded really promising. It might be worth holding out for Andromeda 2...?

I can't comment on the Stagediver SD4 - I've never heard it. I've also not heard the akt8ie, but I did write a review of its successor, the Xelento, that included a comparison against the FLC8S:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...-for-mobile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes

shed some light on the 'modded black' part?
whats the mod?

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #6,734 of 7,931
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #6,735 of 7,931
I am looking to upgrade my tips, currently looking towards spinfits. Not sure which one is better the original one or the newer double flange. Comfort is my first priority.

I'm a big fan of both the single and (newer) dual-flange SpinFits. They're both very comfortable. The dual-flange gives better isolation and slightly tames the treble energy. I'd buy both - this basically.gives you another tuning option for your FLC8S. They aren't the cheapest tips (dual flange are $10 per pair), but being silicone, they should last.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back