FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5,956 of 7,931
So my replacement ULF filters finally arrived via DHL.  Sad but true; one of the two red filters was squashed and can't be used.  Fortunately that was not what I really needed; needed two blacks and a clear.  But kinda stinks that I paid $21 for 6 filters and one was damaged from the get go.

Anyway, now I am trying out grey (or is it black?)  ULF, grey mid; gunmetal filters.  This is closer to the "reference" sound of the ibasso than where I had been, which was  red-black-gold.

Playing the hi res Beatles tracks from the Beatles 1 BluRay right now.  Very sweet.  Having recently spent some time with some very fine IEM units I still feel that the FLC8S can hold its own in the big leagues.  Plus the FLC8S mates awfully well with the Shanling M2.

I keep debating whether I should join the Massdrop for the LZ-A4.  I would have to sell a few of my lesser IEM units to justify that (Tennmak Pro, Phonak 022 with black filters, and possibly the Carbo Tenores and LZ-A2).   Then I would be down to two primary IEM units.  Open to your collective 
thoughts.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #5,957 of 7,931
So my replacement ULF filters finally arrived via DHL.  Sad but true; one of the two red filters was squashed and can't be used.  Fortunately that was not what I really needed; needed two blacks and a clear.  But kinda stinks that I paid $21 for 6 filters and one was damaged from the get go.

Anyway, now I am trying out grey (or is it black?)  ULF, grey mid; gunmetal filters.  This is closer to the "reference" sound of the ibasso than where I had been, which was  red-black-gold.

Playing the hi res Beatles tracks from the Beatles 1 BluRay right now.  Very sweet.  Having recently spent some time with some very fine IEM units I still feel that the FLC8S can hold its own in the big leagues.  Plus the FLC8S mates awfully well with the Shanling M2.

I keep debating whether I should join the Massdrop for the LZ-A4.  I would have to sell a few of my lesser IEM units to justify that (Tennmak Pro, Phonak 022 with black filters, and possibly the Carbo Tenores and LZ-A2).   Then I would be down to two primary IEM units.  Open to your collective 
thoughts.

That is the same three filters I am currently using. I really enjoy the sound coming out the this trio. Good bass pull for me, and treble is not too high (which I like). That said, I am seriously thinking of selling my P1's to fund the FLC8S....this would make a really sweet match with my inbound Aria...

I am mighty impressed with the FLC8S.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #5,958 of 7,931
That is the same three filters I am currently using. I really enjoy the sound coming out the this trio. Good bass pull for me, and treble is not too high (which I like). That said, I am seriously thinking of selling my P1's to fund the FLC8S....this would make a really sweet match with my inbound Aria...

I am mighty impressed with the FLC8S.

Try grey-none-grey

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #5,959 of 7,931
Try grey-none-grey

I will have to try that when mine come in. Lucky enough to be on a borrowed pair right now. Also got lucky with a pair on eBay...

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,960 of 7,931
I haven't been thrilled with that tuning. Mid and upper bass is emphasized but ultimate bass extension is lessened. It isn't bad by any means, but I don't find it the most neutral or enjoyable. YMMV of course.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #5,961 of 7,931
Anyone yet compare flc 8s to new audeze isines 20?. Thing is they don't isolate...But supposedly unique SQ.

out today is a review from 'the verge' on the i20.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14401700/audeze-isine-20-review-planar-magnetic-headphones
AUDEZE ISINE 20 REVIEW
You’ve never seen or heard headphones like these before

for those who have them please share your thoughts vs the review.

i was to back away from these as i have the flc 8s and a pair of sony 7520 closed
cans (both great for portable usage...also awaiting the release of the FLC Celeste)
and also that the isines don't isolate well.
(i'm not going to damage my hearing any more
by upping to volume to compete with exterior noise...cars, commutes etc)

...but because they're new and unique per SQ and signature, they're also intriguing.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #5,963 of 7,931
Question...One of my housings (ulf housing) isn't solid...The filter juts out a bit and even comes loose (have already lost one filter)...Anyone else also ever have this happen?

No, but that is concerning. If your warranty has already expired, it might be time to pick a configuration and make it permanent with some super glue.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,964 of 7,931
Question...One of my housings (ulf housing) isn't solid...The filter juts out a bit and even comes loose (have already lost one filter)...Anyone else also ever have this happen?

Might be something wrong with the washer. Ask forrest or lmue if they can send replacement for you. You can easily put them in with like a tweezer or something.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #5,965 of 7,931
Anyone yet compare flc 8s to new audeze isines 20?. Thing is they don't isolate...But supposedly unique SQ.

out today is a review from 'the verge' on the i20.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14401700/audeze-isine-20-review-planar-magnetic-headphones
AUDEZE ISINE 20 REVIEW
You’ve never seen or heard headphones like these before

for those who have them please share your thoughts vs the review.

i was to back away from these as i have the flc 8s and a pair of sony 7520 closed
cans (both great for portable usage...also awaiting the release of the FLC Celeste)
and also that the isines don't isolate well.
(i'm not going to damage my hearing any more
by upping to volume to compete with exterior noise...cars, commutes etc)

...but because they're new and unique per SQ and signature, they're also intriguing.

So what is the advantage of having these? They don't look portable at all and the price doesn't look all that appealing. I guess if you don't want something heavy on your head? But does it really justify its price for that is the question.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #5,966 of 7,931
Hahaha I'm on the hunt! However, the Celest might be the missing link depending on the price and performance. On another note, the FLC 8S has forced me to put some of my other IEMs on the market. Not because they suck but their price to performance looks bad standing next to the FLC 8S.

I also have to be honest about something. After more listening sessions through my Oppo HA-2, the FLC 8S has bit more detail in the mids when compared to the Fidue A91 Sirius. The Fidue A91 Sirius sounds bigger, though IMO. Through standard sources (i.e. mac, pc, phone, ipod) this difference goes undetected.

That being said, I'd still pick the Fidue for overall presentation of sound. The FLC 8S scales extremely well. I can definitely hear a huge difference between the Oppo HA-2 and subpar sources. This wasn't always so apparent to me before, which has given me further appreciation for my Oppo HA-2.  
agreed. A91 has such a natural sound that is worth the asking price. For FLC8S owners seeking to upgrade, either A91 or Celeste.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #5,967 of 7,931
So what is the advantage of having these? They don't look portable at all and the price doesn't look all that appealing. I guess if you don't want something heavy on your head? But does it really justify its price for that is the question.

audeze isines....they seem very portable, weird design notwithstanding. a
 not supposed to sound like most iems....feeling i'm getting is if iems and open cans had a kid...= isines
so i guess as an alternative to cans for a quiet spot to listen to music.
have a read of the review.. impressive....
but as we all know in this hobby YMMV; and so one person's toe tapping sound sig is 'meh' to another.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #5,968 of 7,931
audeze isines....they seem very portable, weird design notwithstanding. a
nd not supposed to sound like most iems.
so i guess as an alternative to cans for a quiet spot to listen to music.
have a read of the review.. impressive....
but as we all know in this hobby YMMV; and so one person's toe tapping sound sig is 'meh' to another.:wink:  
i have the isine10. It has better staging than flc8s.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #5,970 of 7,931
i'd hope so given the supposedly more refined 20 is almost 2x the price.
any more feedback is appreciated, please...
is the review accurate as it is pretty glowing?
pricepoint worth it in your op?...
this is a tough choice. After selling my flc8s, i am still considering repurchasing it. Do note my fav config for flc8s is red grey gold.
Firstly, Flc8s definitely has better isolation than Isine10.
Secondly, Isine10 has better staging.
In terms of micro details both are on pair but Isine10 provides a more natural sound. At their given price point, both are worth but I have to give best price to performance ratio to the FLC8S.
I prefer isine10 to isine20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back