FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,611 of 7,931
  I hear sibilance with the FLC8s. It's more apparent on some songs. I like the FLC8s a lot for it's high end detail but I realize I've been sort of unconsciously "saving" my FLC8s and using another go to earphone for its smoothness, even though I miss some of the treble sparkle up high. Over time you get used to a more laid back "unoffensive" sound signature. It's like i have to force myself to listen to the FLC8s, and when I put them on I'm immediately impressed and wonder why I'm not wearing them more, but normally, at the crucial time to pick an earphone I usually find a reason to go with the other earphone. I will force myself to wear the FLC8s for the next few days and see if they wear on me.

Be honest the 8s is sibilant. Owned and sold. It is something like : Schwinn is a good bike  - but sorry it have just one wheel...

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,612 of 7,931
No IEM is "sibilant"

Music can contain sibilance - and for that you can blame the guys who organised the recording, and how it was mastered.  An IEM can mask, portray honestly, or accentuate areas of sibilance.

Sibilance also occurs in different areas of the frequency band for each of us - our trigger point will differ due to our own physical make-up.

The nice thing about the FLC8S is that you can tone individual frequencies to help mask sibilant areas - although I would prefer top simply use EQ for the tracks or albums I know are sibilant, or even use de-essing software and permanently fix those tracks/albums.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,613 of 7,931
Right, back on the Sony isolation hybrid tips as the stock ones just won't stay in my ears.  Really annoying to be honest as they sound the most open.  The Sony aren't too bad though and I get a really solid deep insersion.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,617 of 7,931

Not directly, higher tier but different sound. Brighter and less thick. Definitely wider stage.

agreed. depends on the sound signature and build quality you desire. as for me the flc8s do indeed has wider soundstage and depth. Imaging and details retrieval are better to a certain extent. Atlas just impresses me with the build quality. If you want best of both worlds, Pinnacle P1.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,618 of 7,931
agreed. depends on the sound signature and build quality you desire. as for me the flc8s do indeed has wider soundstage and depth. Imaging and details retrieval are better to a certain extent. Atlas just impresses me with the build quality. If you want best of both worlds, Pinnacle P1.
i was close to getting p1, but worried it wouldnt have enough bass

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,620 of 7,931
  Are the black FLC8 pictured on Massdrop currently available anywhere else?

I looked at Massdrop, and I believe you're referring to a grayscale picture of the blue FLC8 (not the FLC8S). The picture is grayscale because the drop is no longer active, I think. The FLC8 had a black cable. As of a few days ago, Teo at Lend Me Ur Ears said there were a few black FLC8 cables left, FYI. He quoted 50 SGD. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,621 of 7,931
  No IEM is "sibilant"

Music can contain sibilance - and for that you can blame the guys who organised the recording, and how it was mastered.  An IEM can mask, portray honestly, or accentuate areas of sibilance.

Sibilance also occurs in different areas of the frequency band for each of us - our trigger point will differ due to our own physical make-up.

The nice thing about the FLC8S is that you can tone individual frequencies to help mask sibilant areas - although I would prefer top simply use EQ for the tracks or albums I know are sibilant, or even use de-essing software and permanently fix those tracks/albums.

Thanks, nice post as always. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,622 of 7,931
I think I've found my most preferred configuration: gun-metal blue, grey, red 

Mids are not too forward and pronounced like the gold and yet it has good bass slam from red tip which doesn't overpower the mids and highs.

That extra bass also helps to make the highs a little less prominent than the gun-metal, grey, grey config, which is more amenable to my ears.

Love it.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,624 of 7,931
  Got the silver cable and finnaly a cable that shows this IEM full potential. Great difference from tighter, more defined bass, to cleaner, more refined treble. Well worth the €€€. Looks like I got an FLC9.

How are  the ergonomics of the new cable, about the same level of stiffness and microphonics?  I'm not particularly bothered by the copper braid cable, but a fair number of people are.

also, I noticed you are a fan of the RHA T20 in its appreciation thread.   These are my two favorite IEM's, both are excellent.  I go the FLC when I want a crisper, brighter sound and the T20 when I want a little bassier, warmer sound, but both are excellent and I'd hate to be without either.  Any comparison thoughts on the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back