Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #331 of 544
Find all this very disappointing. Balanced cable assemblies were supposed to arrive for the original Flare. Waited and waited. Never happened. Then Flares were announced. Given the impression they would have interchangeable balanced cables. So I waited again. What was introduced? A bluetooth box few if anyone ever asked for during the Flare Kickstarter days. And MMCX connectors. Hear nothing but bad things about these connectors when repeatedly hooked and unhooked. So I have an option of interchangeable cable ends with nothing I want to hook up.

Apparently the Isolate sold so well Flare has very little interest in selling any other IEMs. A shame.

Only see two scenarios that would entice me to buy Flares. 1. A balanced cable module. 2. If the "flying" cable's MMCX are the same gender as those on IEMs like Shure, Westone, Fidue, then I could plug in my MMCX- 3.5mm Trinity Audio Engineering balanced cables. This would still be a kludge.

It appears as though the connections of both the driver cable and the Trinity cable are both male, so even this would not work. Given no future balanced cable, my interest has waned. Perhaps an aftermarket cable maker will fabricate a suitable balanced adapter cable that would properly match with the driver cable ends. Alas, more $$$$

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #332 of 544
It appears as though the connections of both the driver cable and the Trinity cable are both male, so even this would not work. Given no future balanced cable, my interest has waned. Perhaps an aftermarket cable maker will fabricate a suitable balanced adapter cable that would properly match with the driver cable ends. Alas, more $$$$

Would this MMCX to MMCX coupler connect the Flares to standard MMCX cables?http://www.americanradiosupply.com/...FOHDOCIxpbdSR83vUo9aKEssv1doEzdpKdRoCFdHw_wcB

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #333 of 544
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #334 of 544
Ok, i have four questions about them:

1) Has anyone tried them on the bus or the subway and can tell us about isolation on the go?
2) How do they suit EDM?
3) Different messages insist in describing a stronger sub bass and faster mid bass. How noticeably is that?. Does it mean they are fuller but smoother at the bass department, that they growl more but kick less?
3) Could someone compare in detail the Flares with the Sennheiser ie800?

Thanks in advance!

1) They isolate really well (I'm using Crystal Tips foams) - I was wondering whether they would isolate less well than the original Flare Audio R2 range, as they appear to have a 'semi-open' design, but this is unfounded.
2) I've been listening to techno (e.g. Trevino, Polar Inertia) and electro (DJ Stingray) all afternoon at work - no complaints from me. My understanding of the term EDM is that it is typically used to describe music with a more dynamically compressed, harmonically rich, less spacious sound than what I would call techno, with perhaps typically less sub-bass so I can't say for sure how it would work. YMMV, of course, but I'm not sitting here wishing I had my Lawton-modded Fostex TH-X00 headphones on.
3) Fuller, smoother, more detailed, growl more and kick more, I would say. The bass and sub-bass feel really well integrated - it's a class act. The kick range impact doesn't feel compromised by the additional sub-bass depth. More and better. Win!
3) Can't compare.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #336 of 544
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #337 of 544
Ok, i have four questions about them:

1) Has anyone tried them on the bus or the subway and can tell us about isolation on the go?
2) How do they suit EDM?
3) Different messages insist in describing a stronger sub bass and faster mid bass. How noticeably is that?. Does it mean they are fuller but smoother at the bass department, that they growl more but kick less?
3) Could someone compare in detail the Flares with the Sennheiser ie800?

Thanks in advance!

1) Isolation is better than I expected for a "vented" IEM, note that it will depend heavily on the tips but I'd rate them good

2) I'll let EDM fans comment, not the best judge there.

3) Very noticeable compared to R2Pro (I suppose that's the question) and more so than I would have gathered from the comment I had read. Better attack, better texture, better detail and quantity is significantly more. I would say decay is faster and "cleaner" technically speaking (some might prefer it the other way). Again, very much tip dependent (more so than with other IEMs). I avoid some tips as it is too much bass and I own Campfire Vega :wink: which means I am not bass shy (although don't consider myself a bass head).

4) It's been a while since I have listened to the IE800, but from memory (take this with a grain of salt there) I would venture that IE800 has the edge on soundstage by a significant margin. The main difference to me is that IE800 have more body : I find the Flares PRO are "thinner" than my usual medicine. Bass I would say IE800 has more quantity and better impact, but Flares PRO takes the cake on detail (careful there, I don't mean the Flares PRO is shy on bass). Treble on IE800 have more sparkle, the Flares PRO is more refined but thinner also. On mids I would give a clear edge to the IE800 but that might be due to personal preferences I like my mids fuller.

Hope it helps

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #338 of 544
1) They isolate really well (I'm using Crystal Tips foams) - I was wondering whether they would isolate less well than the original Flare Audio R2 range, as they appear to have a 'semi-open' design, but this is unfounded.
2) I've been listening to techno (e.g. Trevino, Polar Inertia) and electro (DJ Stingray) all afternoon at work - no complaints from me. My understanding of the term EDM is that it is typically used to describe music with a more dynamically compressed, harmonically rich, less spacious sound than what I would call techno, with perhaps typically less sub-bass so I can't say for sure how it would work. YMMV, of course, but I'm not sitting here wishing I had my Lawton-modded Fostex TH-X00 headphones on.
3) Fuller, smoother, more detailed, growl more and kick more, I would say. The bass and sub-bass feel really well integrated - it's a class act. The kick range impact doesn't feel compromised by the additional sub-bass depth. More and better. Win!
3) Can't compare.

Thanks @Haden2866 !!!

Completely agree about the conflictive use of the EDM acronym. I only use it here considering that the frequent audioholics of the forum tend more to other styles so that the language convention that vaguely joins electronic sounds under the conceptual umbrella of the "EDM" term looks functional for communication. Happy about your statements, i like the producers that you mention, what i want to know is how will it reveal different sounds, from Basic Channel to Shackleton or Mika Vainio, from Richard d. James to GAS or any Detroit stuff. Coming form my Yamaha eph 100 I always missed a slight bump in my r2a's bass, specially on the go.

After so much time waiting, although disappointed about the lack of cheaper and simpler options, i have my little wishing machine knocking at my rationality door, asking for it's reward. If i ever consider upgrading to the new model, i want to be sure that it will be not only noticeable better in resolution or soundstage, but also closer to that slightly more dynamic tonality that was missing for me before. Attending to online reviews i imagine that the Sennheiser ie 800's could be the exact answer to that desire, and at the price of these Flares is an alternative i can consider. But if the Flares can arrive close i'd prefer it to that horrible cable concept of the Senn's.

If they had understood how happy could i be with a version with a simple, strong cable, without splitters and potentially weakening connections...

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #339 of 544
1) Isolation is better than I expected for a "vented" IEM, note that it will depend heavily on the tips but I'd rate them good

2) I'll let EDM fans comment, not the best judge there.

3) Very noticeable compared to R2Pro (I suppose that's the question) and more so than I would have gathered from the comment I had read. Better attack, better texture, better detail and quantity is significantly more. I would say decay is faster and "cleaner" technically speaking (some might prefer it the other way). Again, very much tip dependent (more so than with other IEMs). I avoid some tips as it is too much bass and I own Campfire Vega :wink: which means I am not bass shy (although don't consider myself a bass head).

4) It's been a while since I have listened to the IE800, but from memory (take this with a grain of salt there) I would venture that IE800 has the edge on soundstage by a significant margin. The main difference to me is that IE800 have more body : I find the Flares PRO are "thinner" than my usual medicine. Bass I would say IE800 has more quantity and better impact, but Flares PRO takes the cake on detail (careful there, I don't mean the Flares PRO is shy on bass). Treble on IE800 have more sparkle, the Flares PRO is more refined but thinner also. On mids I would give a clear edge to the IE800 but that might be due to personal preferences I like my mids fuller.

Hope it helps

It helps a lot, thank you @davidmolliere .

Very useful the ie800's comparison also. The description continues telling me that that's the sound i'm looking for (considering that apart from "edm" i also listen to lots of jazz, punk, different folklores from all around the globe, etc.). That "full" adjective we use. I'm afraid, however, that they can isolate much worse and contribute for reaching unacceptable volumes for my tinnitus. And that splitter strangling the neck... Why did you sold them? Attending to your comments looks like you liked them a lot (even more, from memory, that the Flares?)

Doubts, doubts....

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #340 of 544
Bear in mind that Flare are offering a 30-day return policy on these. Not sure if that is worldwide though.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #341 of 544
Thanks @Haden2866 !!!

Completely agree about the conflictive use of the EDM acronym. I only use it here considering that the frequent audioholics of the forum tend more to other styles so that the language convention that vaguely joins electronic sounds under the conceptual umbrella of the "EDM" term looks functional for communication. Happy about your statements, i like the producers that you mention, what i want to know is how will it reveal different sounds, from Basic Channel to Shackleton or Mika Vainio, from Richard d. James to GAS or any Detroit stuff. Coming form my Yamaha eph 100 I always missed a slight bump in my r2a's bass, specially on the go.

After so much time waiting, although disappointed about the lack of cheaper and simpler options, i have my little wishing machine knocking at my rationality door, asking for it's reward. If i ever consider upgrading to the new model, i want to be sure that it will be not only noticeable better in resolution or soundstage, but also closer to that slightly more dynamic tonality that was missing for me before. Attending to online reviews i imagine that the Sennheiser ie 800's could be the exact answer to that desire, and at the price of these Flares is an alternative i can consider. But if the Flares can arrive close i'd prefer it to that horrible cable concept of the Senn's.

If they had understood how happy could i be with a version with a simple, strong cable, without splitters and potentially weakening connections...
Yeah, I'm the same. Would have been very happy with a single-ended cable at £200 or hey, who am I kidding, £250. Now I'm going to have to find another £150 for an aptX-enabled Cayin N3 just to get some value out of the Flares' Bluetooth capability. Bah!
My complements on your choice of artists. Sorry to hear about Trevino's recent passing aka Marcus Intalex.
I can't help you choose between these and the Senns but I can tell you the new Flares are, IMO, night-and-day better than both the R2A and R2Pro in terms of soundstage, detail and resolution. If you've heard both of those, you'll understand that the A has marginally more soundstage width and bass quantity than the Pro whereas the new model has much more of both. Certainly enough bass to make on-the-go a viable proposition.
Not sure about mid thickness or fullness. Perhaps they are towards the leaner end of the spectrum but they don't come across as analytical, I don't think, at least not out of my Neco v5 amp.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #342 of 544
They are a clear step above the R2Pro in my honest opinion, more of everything with bigger soundstage and more clarity, better cables as well.

I've not owned the Shure SE846 but I have owned the IE800, AKG K3003 and currently own the Fidue Sirius.

From memory the Flares are for me the better iem, I say this because I never felt there was much between the IE800 and the R2Pro, so much so that I sold the IE800 and kept the R2. Wouldn't like to compare with the AKG as I've not heard them for over a year and not had time to compare to my Sirius but will do.

I do think that these Flares are punching well above their £350 price.

They always do, but at least it´s "just" 350 pounds... It could be 1000 or even more, as usual.

What I liked a lot of the Flare Audio is the Flare Isolate Mini (ear protector). I can't describe how good and helpful it is for people who have serious sleeping problems (even with meds).
You can sleep with them and you don't feel nothing. I tried to use custom ear protector made of silicone but I always wake up with a big headache and a crazy pain in my ears.

I bought the new Flare Pro and I received two days ago. Very comfortable and small too.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #343 of 544
What I liked a lot of the Flare Audio is the Flare Isolate Mini (ear protector). I can't describe how good and helpful it is for people who have serious sleeping problems (even with meds). You can sleep with them and you don't feel nothing. I tried to use custom ear protector made of silicone but I always wake up with a big headache and a crazy pain in my ears

I like them as well (I don't have the mini but regular titanium ones) but I wouldn't say they isolate during sleep fully you still can hear. I didn't get the mini as they weren't shorter but shallower and that's not what makes a difference. I happened to loose them while sleeping because they stick out a bit.

4I99BsEmZvttPvZHeqVPxumEU5z7Sn.png

What they're great at is at concerts where you can enjoy the music fully with much less dB.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #344 of 544
I use mine for sports shooting (practical pistol). They certainly reduce the sound of my revolver to safe levels and I can hear people talking. That said, they are not as effective for the latter as a quality pair of electronic noise cancelling ear muffs though considerably cheaper and far superior to foam ear inserts.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #345 of 544
That email response comes across to me as if the person who replied didn't fully read your question, else why would they specify Flares Pro in their answer.. Hmm. I wouldn't take it as concrete proof of anything.

Davies said to me that he was really excited about the sound they were getting with their prototype (what we have now with the Flares Pro) and that his goal was to produce a sub £100 iem that shocked the market. He then went on to talk about the Pro with a wireless module and removable cable for future options priced at £350/400.

Given the last part has materialised I don't see why his motivation to turn the market upside-down would change..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back