Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #542 of 544
I've got some R2S and sometimes find them too bright. I bought them to use with the Cyrus SoundKey but it pushes them too far, to the point where there's sibilance on some vocals. They've softened a little recently and I switched to tsx200 tips, which I think are helping a little. I tried them with some silicon tips one day and they were super harsh, so I'm thinking maybe some other foam tips might absorb the extra brightness. No idea if it's my pair or my hearing that's the issue (I have tinnitus a lot of the time tbh!)
I've also knackered the cable where it meets the jack, it's completely gone, and I want to splice them onto a JackSavior cable so I don't have that issue again, but I may also send back to Flare themselves for repair, not sure which is best.
I decided I might take the plunge and grab the pros, the Bluetooth DAC would be useful on the move with the full cable obviously for more detailed listening - I like the versatility. However, the reviews of people favouring the R2A over them has got me mega confused!
Anyone care to wade in with anything they think might be useful?

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #543 of 544
Having the R2Pro but never hearing the new Flares, I can't be very helpful. Wasn't the R2S considered the brightest of the R2? Perhaps brightest isn't the word I'm searching for. The S may have more bass than the Pro and sound warmer, but the Pro's titanium body might be less ringy sounding in the high frequencies. The R2Pro are pretty picky about ear tips. They always sound brighter to me using anything but foam. Even the foam makes a difference. The Comply ( very smooth texture and wax guard) provided with the R2 sound smoother and less sibilant than the Comply sport with rougher foam and no wax guards.

Believe the new Flares have a 30 day trial period. If you don't like them send them back. Buying IEMs is always tough. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back